Hello - newbie who just ended cage match b/w x100 and e-m5

duke777

I recently came to terms with the fact that my d90 with 18-200mm lens never left the house. I'd rather take the iphone or wife's P&S than be burdened with lugging the nikon around. Needless to say I am not a huge photographer - seem to only get into it when i travel which with 2 young boys now is a rarity. So out with the old and in with the new. Decided that the Oly e-m5 was the camera for me without ever even holding one. I put my name on the waiting list at several places and after 3 weeks talked myself out of the oly and into an X100. Had that lovely camera for a few days and the damn e-m5 shows up.

I know there is no rhyme to my reason, but I like the x100 more and yet will be selling it and keeping the e-m5. I'd rather own an old triumph motorcycle than a new Japanese sportbike. There is something about aesthetics and tradition that make the x100 more of a camera. With that said I am admittedly a poseur when it comes to photography. If i knew as much about camera's as i know about bikes i'd certainly be keeping the x100, but for now the e-m5 will be my go to camera.

Instinct has more to do with selecting the right gear, than knowledge, when knowledge is somewhat lacking. Both systems will produce stunning results when used properly. So personal preference is the important thing, if you are to actually use and enjoy it. Relax and shoot!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new camera(s). My DSLR is a Pentax K-x, which is much less of a brick than your D90. But after using my wife's Olympus PEN E-P1, I've started thinking about selling all my Pentax gear for an E-M5.

I think both are new Japanese sport bikes with an old Triumph look. ;)

As others have said, just use the one you enjoy. I am eying an x100 myself now, in large part because of that OVF.

I have both. Used the X100 almost exclusively for a year: the prime lens taught me a lot about composition. And when I got the E-M5 I sold my D7000 and Nikkor lenses.

I use the X100 when I'm in a purist mood, and the OM-D for flexibility. And both look great!

Back