Feedback Help in getting a compact camera pls :)

Sunnyday

Hello all,

I'm new and have joined in hope to get some help from the professionals here :) I'm looking for a compact camera with the below specs, if possible :) The main purpose of this camera is for travelling and day-to-day of self-photography pleasure :)

*Powerful optical zoom.
*Strong shutter speed and aperture priority.
*Hi ISO.
*Wide angle lens.

I am especially keen on these specs because I have always enjoyed taking close-up pictures, fast moving objects and night scenes. I have a few cameras in mind but would appreciate other suggestions and advise :)

*Canon SX230 HS (concerned on its battery life).
*Canon SX40 (shutter speed?).
*Sony NEX-5N.

Please advise and thank you :)

SD

For image quality i would deff go with the Sony NEX 5n. The reason is the much larger APS-C Sensor so it will be better in low light and give better depth of field too. Also you can change lenses and use (with £25 adapter) almost any old manual focus lens made in the pas 50 years!

hmm certainly a varied list you have there!

According to the factory specs, both the SX230 and the SX40 have the same minimum and maximum shutter speeds (1/3200 - 15 seconds), with the SX40 allowing considerably more shots per battery charge.

The NEX5 is in a completely different class than the other two you mentioned. Way more expensive, especially if you get the only lens that gets you anywhere near the zoom power of the Canons (the 18-200mm, 27-300mm equivalent), but also way better image quality. Also be aware that a large sensor camera like the NX5 needs much larger lenses to have the same zoom power as a small sensor superzoom.

Maybe a good compromise will be the Fuji XS1. It has a larger sensor than regular compact cameras, but not quite as large as the Sony Nex, and it has a fixed zoom 24-624mm equivalent lens. Probably a bit larger than the SX40 but it should have better low light ability, especially with Fuji's EXR sensor. It's not on the market yet though, but will be in a few months I think.

In the mean time, so that we can help you better, do you have any budget / size constraints?

Hey! Thankyou for everyones respond! :) Yes, the list is a bit of a mixture of what I wished to get out from a camera and what I was attracted to... oops...

Like I said, I am new to the forum as well as photography. I have only started looking into cameras when my current Sony Cybershot W55 (yes, indeed an oldie) starting to fail me. Although it has not much of a specs compared to these days camera but I did manage to do some decent macro and low light shots, as well as landscapes :)

I was guessing the listed specs base on the field I was into, that is close-up shots on greens, domestic animals, insects, food; moving objects-speedy cars, merry-go-rounds, actions; night scenes and waterfalls. Correct me please?

Stillshunter, I am sorry, I have no experience or knowledge on RAW other than its storage quality compared to JPEG?

Bartjeej, thanks, I shall have a look at Fuji XS1 :) also my budget is between $400-600. I would prefer a light as it is ment for travelling and everyday use. And nothing as chunky as a normal SLR but am open to ideas :)

Thankyou again peeps! Much appreciated! :)

given your budget, I think the Fuji SX1 will be a bit too pricey...
Maybe I'm gonna type a lot of info you already know, but just in case, here's a broad overview of the possible directions you might go.

For an all-in-one camera, superzooms like the Canon SX40 are pretty good indeed, since they cover a wide range of possible scenarios. Low-light shooting and shallow depth of field (blurred background) aren't their strong suits though. The so called Travel Zooms like the SX230 are also very capable, but are often less intuitive to control manually; if you want to set a slower or faster shutter speed than what the camera thinks is necessary, for instance, cameras like the SX40 make that a lot easier. On the other hand, the smaller Travel Zooms will fit into pretty much any pocket whereas the Superzooms will often require a small camera bag.

For your budget and wishes, you could also look at a mirrorless camera with a large sensor (like the Sony NEX series, or Panasonic / Olympus / Samsung's competition) with a kit lens. This would cover most shooting situations, but you'd typically get a zoom range of roughly 28-84mm equivalent, so not nearly as long as the small-sensor cameras. Big upsides are their high ISO abilities and shallow depth of field abilities, and some of those cameras also have easy manual controls.

In between the small sensor cameras and the large sensor mirrorless cameras is a small class of enthusiast-aimed compact cameras with fixed lenses and a sensor that's larger than usual for compacts, but not quite the size of a mirrorless camera's sensor. These include the Canon G and S series, Nikon P7xxx series, Panasonic LX series, Olympus XZ1 and Samsung TL500 (aka EX1). They're usually small enough to carry in a coat pocket, and many of them have longer zoom ranges than the kit lenses for mirrorless cameras, though not as long as Superzooms or Travel Zooms. They do tend to have faster lenses than the high zoom compacts (larger apertures, allowing them to let in more light which is useful in low-light situations and for getting shallow depth of field), which helps them punch above their weight (sensor size).

Raw is like a digital negative, whereas a jpeg is fully developed in the camera. If you're not completely satisfied with the colour or exposure or sharpness of the photo, raw files will allow you much more room to correct this through software like Photoshop or one of its competitors. Jpeg files can also be corrected to a certain extent, but if you go too far you'll get a horribly ugly image. Basically, raw allows you more control over the end result but requires a bit more effort, while jpeg doesn't require any effort unless you want to correct something. All of the cameras in the enthusiast compact class and the mirrorless class can shoot raw files, whereas not all travel zooms or superzooms can.

I don't understand why the Fuji XS1 even comes up, especially when the only thing that they've shown is that it's an advanced idea with a mockup, expected for production in the next year.

It seems bizarre and very DPRish to recommend, or even mention a cam that is that far away from production.

First of all, welcome to Serious Compacts Sunnyday!:D

bartjeej's description of this type camera might be worth your time considering:
In between the small sensor cameras and the large sensor mirrorless cameras is a small class of enthusiast-aimed compact cameras with fixed lenses and a sensor that's larger than usual for compacts, but not quite the size of a mirrorless camera's sensor. These include the Canon G and S series, Nikon P7xxx series, Panasonic LX series, Olympus XZ1 and Samsung TL500 (aka EX1). They're usually small enough to carry in a coat pocket, and many of them have longer zoom ranges than the kit lenses for mirrorless cameras, though not as long as Superzooms or Travel Zooms. They do tend to have faster lenses than the high zoom compacts (larger apertures, allowing them to let in more light which is useful in low-light situations and for getting shallow depth of field), which helps them punch above their weight (sensor size).
and I'd also like to suggest you might want to wait and think about the soon to be released (arriving here in the USA in early November they say and even sooner in Europe...) Fuji X10. We have several threads in the Fuji Forum. Not a few members have pre-ordered the camera. This camera's controls are very straightforward - aperture ring, shutter speed dial, etc.

Camera size may or may not matter to you, I don't know. All the different cameras mentioned have their good points. So many choices, I know! Sometimes all these choices can drive a person crazy. I'm sure that the suggestion of various cameras - including those that aren't quite out yet, are all meant with the best of intentions. Sometimes timing is everything when one is about to make a big purchase.(y)

Please stop by the Welcomes and Introductions forum and tell us a little about yourself when you can.:flowers_2:

Fuji X10. We have several threads in the Fuji Forum. Not a few members have pre-ordered the camera. This camera's controls are very straightforward - aperture ring, shutter speed dial, etc.

Does the X10 have an aperture ring?

Hello all :)

Thank you for all the above suggestions :) I have been to shops to have a "hands-on" more like feel on a few suggested camera from the members here :) Thanks again! I had a look at the G12, SX230 HS, P7000, LX5, EX-1 and X10 :) I have now narrowed it down to G12, SX230HS and X10. I have looked up on the internet for the SX-1 too :) :D Interesting!

I don't understand some bits about X10. I was told that it is not capable to do low light scene/night scene with fast shutter speed (?) by one staff and yes by another. When asked for reasons, all they do were mumble mumble mumble :| My question to them was, could x10 capture pictures like night scene with the "trailling lights"- caused by the vehicles?

I am somehow still thinking the SX40HS because of its superzoom >.< On the other hand, I like the X10 :D It is lovely! Sorry am shallow because of me liking the "body" of the camera... First impression counts? :D Ooo am following closely to the Fuji X10 thread :D love em all! Thank you for all the sharings!

Ooo also, do you think the price for X10 will drop on Boxing Day or when they released XS-1? :D It's $950 here and with a lil add-on, I could have gotten an entry level DSLR? But I don't want a DSLR.... hmmm....

Thank you very much to all who has responded to this thread :) Have a good day! :)

I have no idea what the price development of the X10 could be, but regarding your question about the low light / night scene with fast shutter speed: given its large sensor (for a compact) and its fast lens, it should be at least as capable as the other compacts mentioned here. DSLR's will always be better in low light than compacts, simply because their sensor is so much larger, but among compacts the X10 should be pretty much the best out there.

Trailing lights caused by vehicles calls for a longer shutter time, the X10 can do 30 second exposures which is moooooooooooore than enough to get trailing lights :)

regarding the looks: well, it's not directly photography related, but we all like to hold pretty things in our hands, don't we? And if you feel guilty about it, you can always say that your admiration of pretty things is a sign of you being a vision-based person which is a prerequisite for a photographer ;) :D

Back