Leica HELP ! Leica R8 body...3 cam 35 to 70 zoom / Non ROM...What finder readout info should I see ?

Bill Dillstrom

Name
Bill Dillstrom
I am finding limited finder readout functionality with this combination. R8 body / auto winder / Leica 35-70 F3.5 3 Cam zoom (non ROM). What auto modes should work and register properly on the viewfinder readout? The lens is NOT a ROM version..but is a 3 Cam...so I expect some info in the viewfinder will not show accurately (or at all). Lens F stop info does not show in the finder (shows only 19 or 22) ...nor does shutter speed in the Aperture Priority mode....In the T mode (Shutter Priority) only slower speeds show in the finder. The only mode that seems to respond properly is the Manual mode. Although only F19 and F22 show...no matter where the F stop is set on the lens...sView attachment 4056 hutter speeds do work and show properly throughout the range. I am perplexed so say the least...so at this point my only working metering mode seems to be Manual Mode. Is this common with this body / lens (non ROM) combination ? I am also wondering if there might be some problem with the metering system...Any info or help would be appreciated...Love the look and feel of the camera...but disappointed to think I am relegated to manual mode using a handheld meter. Anyone on this site using a non ROM lens with their R8 or R9 that can help "shed some light" on this situation ? Am I to shoot only with manual mode with this combo ?

Last edited by a moderator:
A late reply - only just found this place - and you're probably sorted now. But in case not, I have the same combination (German-built 35-70 but probably makes no difference for this) and all modes are available and display correctly in the viewfinder. I'm sure you know that for all the Program modes, the lens stop must be set to the smallest (i.e. largest number - f/16 or 22) and the shutter speed to 30P, but I'm sure this is teaching granny to suck eggs. Otherwise, can only think there's a problem with the lens diaphragm (seized?). Are you getting correct exposures at various apertures, as per the handheld meter?

T.T.

A late reply - only just found this place - and you're probably sorted now. But in case not, I have the same combination (German-built 35-70 but probably makes no difference for this) and all modes are available and display correctly in the viewfinder. I'm sure you know that for all the Program modes, the lens stop must be set to the smallest (i.e. largest number - f/16 or 22) and the shutter speed to 30P, but I'm sure this is teaching granny to suck eggs. Otherwise, can only think there's a problem with the lens diaphragm (seized?). Are you getting correct exposures at various apertures, as per the handheld meter?

T.T.
Hi Tony....Thanks for your response to my question. Is your lens that your using the ROM equipped version ? Does it have the nine small gold contacts around the camera end of the lens barrel ? Mine does not...and I am told without a ROM equipped lens I will not get any proper or accurate readings on the readout when using automatic modes. Is your camera / lens combination disproving that statement ? If your lens is not a ROM equipped version, and all the metering is working for you then there is something wrong with my camera body. Thanks....Bill in Missouri

Hello Bill. No, it's a non-ROM 3-cam lens, as is my 135mm Elmarit, and both work fine in all modes on the R8 (so does the 90mm Elmarit, which is a ROM lens). From (shaky) memory, I think the ROM contacts only come into play with flash and the digital back, so pretty much irrelevant for most film shooting (i.e. no real need to pay a premium for a ROM lens).

Provided as mentioned the aperture ring is set correctly (largest number, smallest 'hole') and the shutter speed is set to 30-P, you should be fine, unless some gremlins have got into the machinery. One last thought - how are the batteries?

Back