Micro 4/3 Help me bond with the Sigma 30mm f2.8.

bilzmale

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill Shinnick
I bought this lens a few months ago as a 1/2 price special from the Aussie agent. At the time I couldn't stretch to the Panasonic 20mm f1.7. I've since picked up a 20mm and can't find any love for the 30mm.

Can anyone suggest why I should keep the 30? On m4/3 it is equiv to 60mm - perhaps it works better on APS-C sensors as a 45mm?

I have only used this lens on APS-C, while it's not as versatile as the 30 1.4, it makes every sense to have a 45mm prime for me. On m4/3 while still useful, it could be a little awkward I think, because it's natural to expect more DOF separation at a 60mm equivalent focal length and this lens doesn't do that, but if you want to try macro photography this lens paired with a cheap extension tube should be able to render well enough.

The Sony E mount version of this lens only supports PDAF in a very small centre area, it can still track slowly moving subject but I guess that's the reason the E mount version is even cheaper than the m4/3 variant.

I owned this lens for quite awhile and found it to be one of the most splendidly sharp lenses I have ever used, on any camera. It is obviously slightly more telephoto than the FOV of a classic 50mm perspective, but in spite of that (or maybe because of it) I used it often on one or another of my mu4-3 bodies.

Here is one of my favorite shots with the Sigma 30mm, mounted on a Lumix GX7, a nice combo.

TruckCab-IlfordPanF.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I am with the OP, I had the 30mm f2.8 for a while and I couldn't make it do anything I wanted it to - I think the focal length is a hard one, it's too tight for a normal lens but not flattening enough for a portrait lens. The f1.4 version might prove more versatile with the shallow DoF you can get from it, but in terms of focal length, I just don't like it.

I'm pretty new here, so playing Ket'Chup on lottsa' older threads....

My 30mm 2.8 Art Sigma lives pretty much on my GX7. If I need faster, I'll switch to my 1.4 30, but rare on that.
~ I find this lens the perfect F. L. for my shooting style (I have a 50mm most of the time on my APSc Nikon). This Sigma is compact, sharp, and light. My 19mm and 60mm Sigmas usually play on my Oly bodies - the GX7 being my knock-around, go most places with me camera, as was my GF1 before it.
...I also have the Sigma 30mm 1.4 C lens which I like a bit more, but it's a bit bigger and seems to also migrate its way to the Oly bodies.
~ My 3rd 30mm (!!) is a 1.4 EX that goes on my APSc Nikon - crazy sharp and fun at 1.4! Big heavy sucker though!

Attachments

• P3170768.JPG
    P3170768.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 52
I'm pretty new here, so playing Ket'Chup on lottsa' older threads....

My 30mm 2.8 Art Sigma lives pretty much on my GX7. If I need faster, I'll switch to my 1.4 30, but rare on that.
~ I find this lens the perfect F. L. for my shooting style (I have a 50mm most of the time on my APSc Nikon). This Sigma is compact, sharp, and light. My 19mm and 60mm Sigmas usually play on my Oly bodies - the GX7 being my knock-around, go most places with me camera, as was my GF1 before it.
...I also have the Sigma 30mm 1.4 C lens which I like a bit more, but it's a bit bigger and seems to also migrate its way to the Oly bodies.
~ My 3rd 30mm (!!) is a 1.4 EX that goes on my APSc Nikon - crazy sharp and fun at 1.4! Big heavy sucker though!

During the several years I had a GX7 as my daily driver, once I got a copy of this cool lens (the Sigma Art 30mm f/2.8) it more or less lived on the camera as much as possible. A truly great lens - and it seemed to go so perfectly with the GX7. Seeing this image of yours makes me wish I had both the camera and the lens again :)

My entries in the Single in July last year were all taken with the Sigma 30/2.8. As I said at the end of the challenge, I found getting results out of the lens quite hard. Autofocus with a Panasonic G80 was rather hit and miss, especially at closer distances. However when you get it right it really does produce very nice images.

Back