Help me out, pick a or b

Bobby T

Out Of Nowhere
One of these was edited with LR/PS, the other with C1/Affinity Photo. If you have a preference let me know which.
A
T2B15831-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

B
T2B15831-Edit-Edit-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A was the file edited in C1/Affinity Photo.
B in Adobe

The images were imported into each editor with the standard sharpening for each program applied. As well as the Fuji Provia profile applied. White balance was untouched. Minor edits were done to get the lighting as equal as possible. Just importing the images into C1 and LR shows how differently each editor handles and interprets the raw files. They were ran through PS and Affinity for removal of the dividing lines on the Vflat. And some very very minor retouching. There really isn't much to retouch on a 13yo boy. But I wanted to see the differences working in each back to back. The files were round tripped as tiff files.

Another difference of note is that the final file from C1 is much larger in mb than the final file from LR. Output settings were the same for each.

With C1 and Affinity being paid for, and getting the better results for me. I think it's time to stop the Adobe subscription again until I there is a good enough reason to get it again.

A was the file edited in C1/Affinity Photo.
B in Adobe

The images were imported into each editor with the standard sharpening for each program applied. As well as the Fuji Provia profile applied. White balance was untouched. Minor edits were done to get the lighting as equal as possible. Just importing the images into C1 and LR shows how differently each editor handles and interprets the raw files. They were ran through PS and Affinity for removal of the dividing lines on the Vflat. And some very very minor retouching. There really isn't much to retouch on a 13yo boy. But I wanted to see the differences working in each back to back. The files were round tripped as tiff files.

Another difference of note is that the final file from C1 is much larger in mb than the final file from LR. Output settings were the same for each.

With C1 and Affinity being paid for, and getting the better results for me. I think it's time to stop the Adobe subscription again until I there is a good enough reason to get it again.

Have you had a look at Luminar?
It works stand alone but I use it as a plugin to Apple Photos. I am really not interested in spending time post processing which is why I love Luminar - almost one touch.
Cheers

Have you had a look at Luminar?
It works stand alone but I use it as a plugin to Apple Photos. I am really not interested in spending time post processing which is why I love Luminar - almost one touch.
Cheers
I haven't tried luminar in a while. Couldn't hurt to give it another look.

My initial choice was A...but on looking longer, I'm on the fence.
A is obviously warmer and that warmth almost has an emotional resonance.
But B seems both less exaggerated (too much saturation verges on exaggeration if carried to extremes, sometimes) - and almost gives (me at least) a different sense of what the light (or lighting effect) you were going for might be.
To me, B has the feeling of almost a crisper early morning light - slightly harsher maybe - while B could have been taken more inside, with the warmer illumination of firelight.

Both are very good. For me it boils down to a question of what look you are trying to achieve - and also what 'feeling' you want to leave the viewer with.

A for me because of the slightly warmer skin tones (I agree here with most).
A bigger size would have made judging easier, with this size it's very hard to see the diffenences.
Normally a click on the photo opens it so one can look at it in full frame size. No chance with yours.

Back