Fuji help or tips for new X10 user

ReD

Hall of Famer
Fired this up today - First impressions - its not as easy to use as I thought it would be

Focus is not what I thought it would be - I'm used to a zoom being in focus over its range - this is not the case moving from wide 28 to telephoto 112 (not huge)
On close subjects At 112 - 85 I find the subject out of focus - Revert back to 28mm & adjust to 85 it improves
If I am forced to be reliant on checking the screen for focus then it sort of negates the advantage of the viewfinder (which is always in focus)

Obviously on a learning curve - Any tips would be appreciated

ReD, I'm not sure how a zoom could be in focus all throughout it's range. Perhaps you have used cameras with a continuous AF so that the camera is constantly focusing. Maybe consider setting it to C-AF instead of S AF.

Also regarding close subjects being out of focus at longer focal lengths, keep in mind that the camera has a minimum focusing distance and that changes as you zoom (you'll need to be further away from your subject). I no longer have my X10, but you also may need to put it into a macro mode to do close focusing.

Feel free to pummel the forums here with specific targeted questions if you need help.....there are plenty of users here who like to help.

FWIW, I'm currently struggling with learning to use a new camera. Now it very well may be that you and the wee Fuji never come to terms, but it's well worth trying to learn how it works before you ask yourself "is this the right camera for me".

Thanks Luke - I'd figured the distance on tele was the reason but I'm harking back to my old Tamron 70-150 macro zoom lens - which followed through in focus the whole way

The F660 is a better performer in this regard & I was expecting similar if not better operation off the x10

I'll be back soon i expect

There are a couple of mega-threads on the talkphotography forums here in the UK for the X10 and its siblings. They're very informative and show the sort of results that are attainable with the X10. I'm not sure about posting links to other forums here but Google can help.

I found this site from the Fuji Guys extremely useful - the video actually shows which buttons to press unlike some ego driven review videos with some prat babbling on

but an early video & doesn't deal with focus in depth

I have to say that I almost use or used the LCD... So I'm afraid I'm not much help. I used to use my X10 all the time and found it to be a very handy little camera. Good luck ReD!

Thanks BB

The Fuji Guys are worth bookmarking for their other Camera Videos - Loads of them & useful

I believe you can also set the X10 up to give you a beep to confirm focus. Might be useful for when you are using the OVF, if you don't find it too annoying.

No tips except for "keeping experimenting". Congrats with your X10! While the X20's OVF is easier to use for AF, if you get familiar with the focus point(s) of the X10, AF works well. The EXR sensor works really well, especially with clouds. And as said, already: the parallax error is something to be aware of.

Back