Fuji Help requested -- besides AF, what do you dislike about your XE1?

wt21

Hall of Famer
I am running the OMD vs XE1 tests right now. I have a list of pros/cons, but I was wondering if anyone can help me test some things they DON'T like about the XE1. Basically, I think I'm suffering from "new camera syndrome" where the new camera is perfect vs. all the old warts you know on your current camera.

I am hoping to short circuit the dating process, and find out what it would be like to be married to the XE1 :)

So, what are some quirks/niggles/irritations about the XE1 that ISN'T about AF or grip or lenses?

1. The battery can go in any direction, even the wrong way.

2. Long start-up times.

3. Too punchy EVF.

4. No ability to add different eyecups for EVF.

5. AF button located on bottom left of body (they fixed this on the X100S)

6. General Fuji X compliant - the difference of AE-L with AF-S and half pressed shutter (vs. OMD)

5. AF button located on bottom left of body (they fixed this on the X100S)

6. General Fuji X compliant - the difference of AE-L with AF-S and half pressed shutter (vs. OMD)

Thanks Drewbot! I actually like #5 where it is, lol, but can you elaborate on #6 a bit?

View attachment 2087

Instead of on the left, its the up arrow position. It's a lot easier to fumble to that button while my eye is fixed to the EVF.

Attachments

• fujifilm-X100s-rear.jpg
    fujifilm-X100s-rear.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 380
My biggest gripe is when using manual focus magnification of the viewfinder....you click the dial on the back to zoom. Works great, right? Except that if the camera is writing to the card...it doesn't work. You have to wait until the camera finishes writing to the card before you can zoom in again. This is SO frustrating when using adapted manual focus lenses. Really...REALLY frustrating.

I still love my X-E1, and I also am an OM-D owning micro 4/3 user as well. For a while after I got the X-E1, I used it for the vast majority of my shooting. The last month or so, though, I've been using my OM-D a lot more again. It is simply the better overall camera, though I still love the Fuji for the image quality and the look I get...I just don't reach for it when I need responsiveness and quick shots.

In my short time with the XE1, it seems to me that it's almost under-powered, processor wise (or the bus is too small from the processor out). It seems to pause one thing while it does another. It could use a little more horsepower, I think!

For me it was the location of the AF button and the EVF - both how punchy it was (as someone has said), but also that it auto-gained up and down depending on the lighting (I'd like to be able to shut this feature off) - in fairness the X100S also does this and I assume the X-Pro1 does as well. AF with the 35mm was slowish, but workable, but honestly I don't think the X100S is much better.

My top complaints (besides the well known AF speed):

-Battery has almost no warning when it's about to give out. That can really suck. Great.. warning about low battery. And now I have 1-2 shots left. Thanks?
-Despite nice specs, I feel like the EVF isn't quite as good as in my Panasonic G5. Seems..jittery maybe. Just generally less smooth feeling when I'm trying to manually focus lenses.
-I feel like the lens release is more awkward to get to. More difficult to change lenses than on my M43 system. Maybe partially due to my comparative hand/lens size.

But hey, they're still great cameras.

the biggest gripe for me would be the eye-piece. the one from my nex-7 was better. everything else is pretty much workable including AF. i'm not really shooting action nor am i shooting everything in the way rapidly and then sorting for the best image later. i don't really shoot that way.

flash sync at speeds faster than 1/125 (1/250 max) would be nice.

oh, i remembered an annoying one - the power switch. when i'm wearing my camera, it's almost always on when i look down at it.

(Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk)

Light leakage ditto. It is the only camera I regularly use without spectacles (I adjust the diopter and mash my face against the back in sunny weather)

Sent from another Galaxy

I missed this thread at first, and I think Bill's already made his decision. But I'll play anyway:

1) AF button on the bottom left. I use my right eye with the viewfinder, so I end up essentially picking my nose with my left thumb when I use the AF button. Not a fan :tongue: [fixed on X100S]

2) No configurable min shutter speed on Auto-ISO [also fixed on X100/X100S]

3) No exposure comp available in M with Auto-ISO

4) Q menu not configurable, and you only have 1 Fn button to use. I would really like to have at least 2 Fn buttons and/or be able to edit the Q menu. Some items like flash exposure comp are buried in the menus and needlessly hard to get to. Likewise, I never adjust JPG options in-camera since I shoot RAW, so having those on the Q menu is pointless.

That's the bigger ones for me that I notice almost every time I shoot it. There's a few others that are more like minor gripes:

* Battery fitting in more than one direction so you can accidentally put it in backwards (doh!)

* Can't adjust AF point after AE-L is set (why???)

* Slow card write times. Not a huge deal, but it can be annoying when trying to review shots you just took especially after a burst.

* EVF lags a little (it's noticeable in panning, but doesn't detract from actual use for me)

I think the annoying thing is the sleep mode, but a quick on off solves it. Unlike many, I like the viewfinder and find the AF snappy enough for my needs, but usually taking photos in a maritime environment. I upgraded the firmware for the 35mm and it certainly seems fast enough for a 50 mm equiv lens. and I can capture my 6 year old when need be. I have both right now, but frankly this is a hobby, not my job, so will be selling the OM D kit for more Fuji lenses. I wish the Fuji was also splash proof, but that is about it for me. They are both fine cameras, though I believe over time the Fuji will improve more with firmware upgrades, the Olympus via new models

1) AF button on the bottom left. I use my right eye with the viewfinder, so I end up essentially picking my nose with my left thumb when I use the AF button. Not a fan :tongue: [fixed on X100S]

[..]

4) Q menu not configurable, and you only have 1 Fn button to use. I would really like to have at least 2 Fn buttons and/or be able to edit the Q menu. Some items like flash exposure comp are buried in the menus and needlessly hard to get to. Likewise, I never adjust JPG options in-camera since I shoot RAW, so having those on the Q menu is pointless.

UPDATE: Woo hoo! :dance3:

According to the firmware update thread (https://www.fujixspot.com/f7/july-23rd-fuji-x-mount-firmware-updates-1298/) these two are coming to the X-E1 tomorrow! :D :D

No configurable Q menu, but they're adding the Down button as a configurable Fn button and defaulting it to controlling the AF area.

The July 23 update will add focus peaking and improved AF speed too, which is pretty cool. I'm not sure how much use the peaking will be without being able to select a color other than white, but I'm still happy to see it. I would love to combine peaking with a nice manual M mount lens or two on the X-E1 (y)

their focus peaking better offer a colour other than white.

auto iso better be like on the x100s.

i hope bottom-left Q option is the self timer like on the x100s.

hopefully they effects filters like on the x100s. at least offer ND.

(Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk)

Back