Sony Help setting up and customising sony a7c!

hazwing

Regular
I've started playing around with the menu and interface on my sony a7c, just wondering if anyone has any tips on setting up and customising the camera. Any youtube tutorials or blogs would be great too!

A few questions
-How do I set a minimum shutter speed when in aperture priority mode? How do I make this easily accessible
-Difference between AFC and AFA. I assume AFA is the intelligent AI mode? Probably leave it on this most the time?
-Is there a highlight/shadows alert feature like on olympus cameras? I notice there are zebras, how do you use them?
-My used copy of the a7c was missing the original hot shoe cover. Instead it comes with some sort of thumbgrip attachment to the hot shoe cover, will the weather sealing be affected by this?

@hazwing
I used to watch Jason Hermann's tutorial (
). It is a bit boring, but very comprehensive, and covers every tiny detail of mastering use of Sony a7c.

I am just beyond the initial learning curve of using Sony a7c, and trying to answer your questions and wish that can offer some help, and let more users see this thread and offer their opinion.

A few questions
-How do I set a minimum shutter speed when in aperture priority mode? How do I make this easily accessible

Looks like Sony cameras make this setting have steps to go, i.e. a minimum shutter speed at a selected ISO value, such as 1/15"@ ISO3200 , 1/30" @ISO6400 etc.. There isn't a straightforward min value setting. In the menu you will find the item for setting, or you can assign this setting to a custom button for easier access.
-Difference between AFC and AFA. I assume AFA is the intelligent AI mode? Probably leave it on this most the time?
AFA let the camera decide whether or not the continuous focusing is needed. This is the mode for beginners who have no clue about how AFC/AFS works. If you know AFC and AFS well, just igore AFA. However this AFA sometime makes life easier if you often photograph stationary/mobile subject alternatively. For me, flowers/rocks photograph accounts for 1% or 2% of my photos, so my camera uses AFC all the time.
-Is there a highlight/shadows alert feature like on olympus cameras? I notice there are zebras, how do you use them?
I don't use zebras or red flash to indicate the over-exposed area. But there is a dedicated "zebras" in the menu for the setting.
-My used copy of the a7c was missing the original hot shoe cover. Instead it comes with some sort of thumbgrip attachment to the hot shoe cover, will the weather sealing be affected by this?
Hard to say if the weather sealing is to be affected by the thumbgrip, however it shouldn't concern you if it is fit neatly and firmly, and the camera is not to be exposed to extreme conditions.

Back