Help! Someone wants to buy my photos.

KillRamsey

Hall of Famer
Name
Kyle
A tourism agency found some of my photos on my wife's website, and is inquiring about buying some for their advertising. Which is awesome, of course. But ... I've never done THIS this, not exactly like this. What's a fair price, and how do we document it?

You don’t sell them, you license them for use. How much you charge will depend on what they want to use them for and how long they will use them. There are generic usage contracts on the net you can grab and tailor to your specific deal.

I managed to get my friend on the phone, who is a professional sports photographer. Interesting: normal rates currently for clothing / equipment companies for web/social use is $150-250 per image. People with shallower pockets, like the ones looking to license these 3 from me, it's usually more like $75 per. I offered $200 for all 3, hoping that's palatable.

I agree with Bobby.

You license their use for a specified period of time and a specified medium. Web costs and printed media could be 2 different fee structures.
The other thing to consider is if you do license them for a specific time frame, you'll need to follow up and ensure they are not still using the images after the deadline or that you get them to re-license and pay an additional fee.

I don't think $200 is unreasonable.

Sometimes people can't afford what they want. Don't feel bad about it. And the problem is that there are plenty of people who may undercut reasonable rates to get the sale. But competing on price alone is never good. Your work is quality and if they are willing to buy lesser quality photos for less money, then that is their problem and not yours.

Sometimes people can't afford what they want. Don't feel bad about it. And the problem is that there are plenty of people who may undercut reasonable rates to get the sale. But competing on price alone is never good. Your work is quality and if they are willing to buy lesser quality photos for less money, then that is their problem and not yours.
This time infinity. What makes it worse, is there's always someone who is glad to hand over files just to say their photo is on the thing. Never even understanding that he/she could've gotten paid for it.

Back