Street Help starting.

Dear family/team/friends/associates/y'all,

A recent message from my daughter has re-kindled a repressed desire in me. So I turn to you for help.

How does a shy person (really shy) overcome that trait to be able to approach people for photographs. It sucks because I LOVE the wonderful variety of humanity - and even many of its individuals - I am okay with small group situations (e.g.- a few friends at dinner, etc.) But approaching a person I have no connection to to ask for a photo is just beyond my conception - I might as well have "Recently Released PERVERT" tattooed on my forehead!!

Has anyone here had to overcome themselves to start taking pictures of people??

Weird also because I was a wedding photographer for awhile. Now my daughter winders why there are no people in my photos.

*Devil's Advocate*

Why is it necessary for you to take photos of people? There are boundlessly many subjects available for enjoyable photography that don't include people.

But approaching a person I have no connection to to ask for a photo is just beyond my conception

Why would you need to, though? If it is not a requirement for your job, then why stress over something you can so easily just ignore and not do?
We all have strengths and weaknesses; rather exploit your strengths than anguish over something out of your comfort zone.

Observe and guess before approaching I'd say. For example in a big city you will usually get people dressing loud who want to be seen and, over 50% of the time, like being seen therefore, would not have a problem having their picture taken, plus they would likely have been approached about this previously. So it wouldn't be unreasonable to approcach in these circumstances. You would have a reason for wanting to photograph. This would usually be because you find something interesting about the person. So there's nothing wrong in explaining the reason why you find them interesting when you approach.

The easiest way IME would be at some form of public gathering, say for example when the Navy is having a parade or a running marathon is going through your area. The nature of these events means that approaching is not always necessary, you're simply recording events.

I tend to agree with @rayvonn .

@Walter Palmer If I read you correctly, you are talking about "formal" street portraits? Not very well versed in that myself, I seldom see people when out with the camera and if I am city bound, people has a more incidental place in my photography than a meditated one, but I have pondered the topic a bit, based on a wish to get more people in them.

One of the possibilities I have thought about is to have some sort of portfolio going, which can be showed to the possible subject up front, on a tablet. Obviously it cant be on topic at first, unless you have gotten your family and friends to model for you, but you could do somewhat tangible topics.

For this I would think general Urban photography with incidental people in the frame could be a possibility, another possibility is to go and shoot vendors and customers at a market/fair or such event, before you can collect enough to get a on-topic portfolio going. Tailgate parties at sport venues would probably be a possibility as well, people in a good mode enjoying themselves before the game, in a public space could probably be approached with ease.

Also, a business card or hand-out, given out early in the process with a web-address/site/Instagram account, where the photographees can venture and gawk at their mugshots would probably be a good idea .

Other than that, you could always trot down the route of the famous, Italian street photographer Iam Papparassi, mount a long tele, hide in the bushes and take what you want. :unsure: 😄

Anyhow, I wish you luck with your new task! Looking forward to see your take on it. (y)

*Devil's Advocate*

Why is it necessary for you to take photos of people? There are boundlessly many subjects available for enjoyable photography that don't include people.

Why would you need to, though? If it is not a requirement for your job, then why stress over something you can so easily just ignore and not do?

problem
We all have strengths and weaknesses; rather expprloit your strengths than anguish over something out of your comfwith my ort zone.

with

Interesting to hear about you, but first I want to try to get help with my

Back