Help with repairing plug-in

gecko

Top Veteran
Name
Rashid
When I installed Topaz Photo AI, it also became available as a plug-in under PS Elements. One time I was using Elements and the Photo AI plug-in, Photo AI crashed. Since then it was no longer available as a plug-in. I tried copying what I thought was the Photo AI plug-in file to the plug-in folder of Elements, but that didn't work. I uninstalled Photo AI completely, deleted its folder from the drive, rebooted the computer, then reinstalled Photo AI, hoping that this would fix the problem, but it didn't. I would be grateful for any advice.

Last edited:
I think Topaz Labs changed how the plug-in interface on Photo AI worked a while back. At one time I could use it as a plugin within Gimp, passing TIFF files back and forth, but that behavior broke many months ago. I can’t help you on Elements.

I think Topaz Labs changed how the plug-in interface on Photo AI worked a while back. At one time I could use it as a plugin within Gimp, passing TIFF files back and forth, but that behavior broke many months ago. I can’t help you on Elements.
Many thanks for your reply. I guess I'll have to simply use it as a stand-alone program.

Thank you very much. I tried both methods. Unfortunately Photo AI does not appear in the list so I could not add it. I was thinking that a register item may need to be "repaired", but I am not knowledgeable to try fiddling there. I'll just have to work around it. The same happened some time ago with some (but not all) of the Nik Collection plug-ins and I could never reinstall them. Thanks again.

Thank you very much. I tried both methods. Unfortunately Photo AI does not appear in the list so I could not add it. I was thinking that a register item may need to be "repaired", but I am not knowledgeable to try fiddling there. I'll just have to work around it. The same happened some time ago with some (but not all) of the Nik Collection plug-ins and I could never reinstall them. Thanks again.
I haven't used Elements (or Adobe Photo products) for years so can't really help much. Is there some option in Elements to manually search for the plug in?

I haven't used Elements (or Adobe Photo products) for years so can't really help much. Is there some option in Elements to manually search for the plug in?
The only thing I know is under "Filter" (as per the link that you posted above, and there Photo AI no longer shows. But it is no big deal, as I can always use it as a stand-alone application (even though a bit less convenient) but I am curious as to why this happened after Photo AI crashed (when I was trying to "remove" an object from the photo), Again, thank you very much!

Last edited:
The only thing I know is under "Filter" (as per the link that you posted above, and there Photo AI no longer shows. But it is no big deal, as I can always use it as a stand-alone application (even though a bit less convenient) but I am curious as to why this happened after Photo AI crashed (when I was trying to "remove" an object from the photo), Again, thank you very much!
An earlier version of Photo AI crashed when using remove as a plug in on Affinity also. Shouldn't be happening with current versions.

In Photoshop, it's under Help | Plugins, IIRC.

I haven't booted any of my computers yet today.

Actually, there is now a menu pick in Photoshop for Plugins, then Manage plugins.
Thank you, John. I think Elements does not have all what Photoshop has:

An earlier version of Photo AI crashed when using remove as a plug in on Affinity also. Shouldn't be happening with current versions.
Thank you very much, John and Ian. I'll try to provide what I could find later today, By the way, I got Affinity Photo (it was only $30 recently) but I found it far more complicated than Elements (I'll try to see if I can learn enough to use it in the time I have (not that I'm all that busy, only given my age, I figure I don't have a lot of time :) ).
Thanks again.

Thank you, John. I think Elements does not have all what Photoshop has:

Thank you very much, John and Ian. I'll try to provide what I could find later today, By the way, I got Affinity Photo (it was only $30 recently) but I found it far more complicated than Elements (I'll try to see if I can learn enough to use it in the time I have (not that I'm all that busy, only given my age, I figure I don't have a lot of time :) ).
Thanks again.
I decided to try to remove all Adobe and all Topaz programs, reboot, and then reinstall Elements and Photo AI. I'll see what happens. Only problem, I could not remove Adobe Creative Cloud (whatever this is). I Googled, and found that I could download a program to uninstall it, but running it resulted in uninstall not being successful :(. I'll report on what happens after I reinstall. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

I decided to try to remove all Adobe and all Topaz programs, reboot, and then reinstall Elements and Photo AI. I'll see what happens. Only problem, I could not remove Adobe Creative Cloud (whatever this is). I Googled, and found that I could download a program to uninstall it, but running it resulted in uninstall not being successful :(. I'll report on what happens after I reinstall. Thanks again for all the suggestions!
Rashid, you probably need to unregister Photoshop Elements prior to uninstalling it.

Then re-register it once you have reinstalled it.

Adobe used to be horrendously pirated, prior to them introducing the subscription payment system, so one can understand their paranoia about licensing.

IIRC, previously something like 90% of all copies of Photoshop were pirate copies, i.e. stolen.

I still haven't forgiven Matt for his statements that all Adobe users were untrustworthy, and should be avoided at all costs.

Seeing as how Adobe have something over 80% of the professional editing and image creation software market, I find such sweeping statements to be unsupportable, as well as personally offensive, and an unprovoked attack on all users of Adobe software.

Rashid, you probably need to unregister Photoshop Elements prior to uninstalling it.

Then re-register it once you have reinstalled it.

Adobe used to be horrendously pirated, prior to them introducing the subscription payment system, so one can understand their paranoia about licensing.

IIRC, previously something like 90% of all copies of Photoshop were pirate copies, i.e. stolen.

I still haven't forgiven Matt for his statements that all Adobe users were untrustworthy, and should be avoided at all costs.

Seeing as how Adobe have something over 80% of the professional editing and image creation software market, I find such sweeping statements to be unsupportable, as well as personally offensive, and an unprovoked attack on all users of Adobe software.
Thank you so much, John. I uninstalled Elements, then logged on to Adobe then logged off, before seeing your reply. I don't know if that is the same as unregistering it (probably not), but then I reinstalled it using the original disk and entered the serial number printed on the jacket. and that seemed to work. But now I have to figure out how to install all the plug-ins (they all now disappeared), but I'll leave that till another day.
Thanks again for your kind suggestions.

Thank you so much, John. I uninstalled Elements, then logged on to Adobe then logged off, before seeing your reply. I don't know if that is the same as unregistering it (probably not), but then I reinstalled it using the original disk and entered the serial number printed on the jacket. and that seemed to work. But now I have to figure out how to install all the plug-ins (they all now disappeared), but I'll leave that till another day.
Thanks again for your kind suggestions.
I finally managed to install Photo AI as a plug-in under PS Elements. When I reinstalled Photo AI it copied the plug-in files (which have the extension *.8bf) to PS Elements > Plug-Ins but that didn't work. I Googled some more and discovered that the *.8bf files should be in PS Elements > Required > Plug-Ins, so I copied the files from the Plug-Ins folder to the Required > Plug-Ins folder and everything now is working.
Again I would like to express my appreciation for the helpful suggestions by Ian (@IanE) and John (@John King) that helped lead me to the solution.

Last edited:
Back