Infrared Gear Help!

theoldsmithy

Hall of Famer
Name
Martin Connolly
Right, I’ve followed the various online tutorials about using infrared filters. I’ve set my white balance before taking the shots, and done the channel swap in Photoshop, but all the images still just look a reddish/pink mess. I suspect the Lumix G7 actually doesn’t see IR light, since I can’t see anything from my TV remote through it. Does anyone know if that is the case?
I’ve also tried just holding the filter in front of my RX100m3 (which does see a flash from the TV remote), but the results are the same. Could this be down to the wavelength of filter that I chose (950nm) as I read that was the best for bright conditions? Or am I missing a crucial step somewhere?

The 'missing step' in IR processing I found was the need to create a new IR profile for WB from a dng image using the free Adobe DNG Profile Editor. See the tutorial below. The 950nm filter is not going to pass any visible light so don't expect much false colour - it will be closer to B&W when developed.

The images shown in the tutorial look like they are from a modified camera, ie the blocking filter removed from the camera.

In the tutorial for using unmodified cameras, the 720nm filter is suggested. The blocking filter of the unmodified camera start "kicking in" after red, but before Infrared. 720nm is "in the zone" of wavelengths that have some passage. By 950nm: the sensitivity of the silicon CMOS sensor is way down from visible, and the IR blocking filter is at its peak. The signal being collected is just too weak, buried in the noise of the sensor.

The images shown in the tutorial look like they are from a modified camera, ie the blocking filter removed from the camera.

In the tutorial for using unmodified cameras, the 720nm filter is suggested. The blocking filter of the unmodified camera start "kicking in" after red, but before Infrared. 720nm is "in the zone" of wavelengths that have some passage. By 950nm: the sensitivity of the silicon CMOS sensor is way down from visible, and the IR blocking filter is at its peak. The signal being collected is just too weak, buried in the noise of the sensor.
Yeah, I’m coming round to the view that I’ve bought the wrong filter. Bugger all light is getting through, even on really long exposures, and it’s full of noise. Oh well, we go again...

Back