Humor Helpful Info for Mu-43 Migrants

I'm sorry to say my sci-fi movie and TV lore is a bit lacking - no real access to television growing up, and I'm spotty on the material I have gotten to as an adult. I don't think my wife enjoys sci-fi as much as me, at least not when it has aged enough to be campy.

Star Trek: Enterprise is the only ST I've watched the entire series of, but it's also my favorite, I have a real soft spot for so many of the characters (Dr. Phlox! Porthos! Hahah). I enjoyed ST: Discovery (the newest one) for a while, but the storyline became a little too much about character emotions for my taste in latter seasons, so I haven't kept up. I'm excited for the upcoming Captain Pike one however.

My overall favorite sci-fi is probably the X-files. The way that show was made is just so good, and holds up so well.

My overall favorite sci-fi is probably the X-files. The way that show was made is just so good, and holds up so well.
If you are bored one day and need something to watch, track down the '70s show Kolchak: The Night Stalker series with Darren McGavin (the dad from A Christmas Story). Depending on region and source you'll find it as either "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" or just "The Night Stalker". Don't bother with the 2005 version (which was inspired by the X-Files which itself was inspired by the original Night Stalker).

Kolchak: The Night Stalker - Wikipedia

I'm not sure about the original movie adaption or the post-series movies but the main series itself can be watched on NBC streaming. You can stream either directly from the web page or use the NBC app on most devices (I used it on my X-Box One).

I'm sorry to say my sci-fi movie and TV lore is a bit lacking - no real access to television growing up, and I'm spotty on the material I have gotten to as an adult. I don't think my wife enjoys sci-fi as much as me, at least not when it has aged enough to be campy.

Star Trek: Enterprise is the only ST I've watched the entire series of, but it's also my favorite, I have a real soft spot for so many of the characters (Dr. Phlox! Porthos! Hahah). I enjoyed ST: Discovery (the newest one) for a while, but the storyline became a little too much about character emotions for my taste in latter seasons, so I haven't kept up.
Discovery's second season did indeed wallow in maudlin farewells. We were yelling at the TV 'just get out!' while the imperilled characters were going on endlessly about how much they loved each other. And the plot lost me. But season 3 was much better.

Discovery's second season did indeed wallow in maudlin farewells. We were yelling at the TV 'just get out!' while the imperilled characters were going on endlessly about how much they loved each other. And the plot lost me. But season 3 was much better.
It's funny, because it's a show that heavily invests into female main characters, not just the lead but most of the others, yet rather than show forward-thinking female characters, it's like they leaned backwards into stereotypes of emotionally needy women working through their emotional issues.

As a long time sci-fi nerd, I've seen many excellent movies in the genre, as well as my share of really awful ones. I'm old enough to remember standing in a line that stretched around the block and down a downtown street to get into a theater with 2 screens to see the original Star Wars. Same for the original Alien. I was amazed the theater was packed on opening day for that one, including numerous people with very small children in tow. I've always wondered what part of an R-rated film with the byline "In space, no one can hear you scream" suggests a movie night with little Timmy?
I walked into Alien with very little idea what it was. I then proceeded to see it five times. I've always thought that was such a beautifully crafted movie. I always have thought that Sigourney Weaver was such a cool action hero type. That was especially true in the sequel, which was the war movie to the original's horror movie. That was also a favorite of mine, especially the fight sequence at the end, which was so well done.

Last edited:
Does ‘Futurama’ count?
Hedonism bot is certainly my favorite character. ”I apologize for nothing!”
Absolutely Futurama counts! Some of the story lines in Futurama were far more poignant than some live-action TV shows. I challenge anybody who loves their dog to watch Jurassic Bark without feeling like they've been gut-punched. 🐶:cry:

Speaking of sad endings, how many of you remember the last episode of Dinosaurs 🦖 that ended the series? It's the episode nobody really talks about when they bring up the show and just might be the darkest ending of any family friendly show to date.

I guess I am much more on the fantasy side than the science fiction side, even though the two are definitely not mutually exclusive. I'm passionate about good fantasy novels and hope to write some someday (when I find just the right "thing"). I enjoy good sci-fi, but part of the reason I like it is when it contains some of the same grandeur as fantasy, such as Dune. Loved the first book, read a few more and realized I enjoy it most for the tapestry presented by the first book.

Lord of the Rings is my favorite book ever, and has been for over two decades. It's a bit of a north star not only for my taste in fantasy literature but even my value system. I also finally introduced myself to Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea books a couple of years ago, they are fantastic. Terry Brooks is another favorite.

I will say, though, that one of my all-time favorite books is a sci-fi: Neuromancer. And William Gibson in general. Also some of another favorite writer's work (China Mieville) strays into sci-fi. Although Mieville's fantasy is some of the best fantasy anywhere.

I love books more than television and movies, is what I'm trying to say. Hahah.

Was going to mention The Expanse. It’s a mixed bag for me. There are a couple of characters that get under my skin, a few others that are the reason I watch the show and one that was killed off because sadly the actor was cancelled, which was a loss to me because i found the character interesting.
Agree with you there. The first four seasons were excellent and stuck reasonably close to the plotlines of the books. Season 5 was a mess - too many unconnected story lines, tedious drawn out scenes between Naomi and Filip, and killing off Alex left a huge hole. Season 6 is better but still lacking the broader vision of the earlier seasons. We'll see how they manage to pull it all together in the final episode.

I guess I am much more on the fantasy side than the science fiction side, even though the two are definitely not mutually exclusive. I'm passionate about good fantasy novels and hope to write some someday (when I find just the right "thing"). I enjoy good sci-fi, but part of the reason I like it is when it contains some of the same grandeur as fantasy, such as Dune. Loved the first book, read a few more and realized I enjoy it most for the tapestry presented by the first book.

Lord of the Rings is my favorite book ever, and has been for over two decades. It's a bit of a north star not only for my taste in fantasy literature but even my value system. I also finally introduced myself to Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea books a couple of years ago, they are fantastic. Terry Brooks is another favorite.

I will say, though, that one of my all-time favorite books is a sci-fi: Neuromancer. And William Gibson in general. Also some of another favorite writer's work (China Mieville) strays into sci-fi. Although Mieville's fantasy is some of the best fantasy anywhere.

I love books more than television and movies, is what I'm trying to say. Hahah.
I've read a few hundred fantasy books and a few dozen sci-fi books. I would put the first Dune book in the top ten. I've read Lord of the Rings 6 or 7 times, and while it is great, I don't think I can read it again. I highly recommend Patricia McKillip's Riddlemast of Hed trilogy. The whole trilogy is only around 750 pages.

I've read a few hundred fantasy books and a few dozen sci-fi books. I would put the first Dune book in the top ten. I've read Lord of the Rings 6 or 7 times, and while it is great, I don't think I can read it again. I highly recommend Patricia McKillip's Riddlemast of Hed trilogy. The whole trilogy is only around 750 pages.
I can always read LOTR again. I'm reading it aloud this time around after quite a big gap between readings (probably around my 9th time, maybe more), and I am enjoying the music of Tolkien's prose even more reading it aloud, which allows me to savor it more.

Edit: oh, and I'll check those out. Do give China Mieville a look if you feel like it: The Scar is a great standalone entry-point into his mythos and a terrific fantasy story.

Does ‘Futurama’ count?
Hedonism bot is certainly my favorite character. ”I apologize for nothing!”

Russ
Look at my avatar and ask that question again
200.gif

I can always read LOTR again. I'm reading it aloud this time around after quite a big gap between readings (probably around my 9th time, maybe more), and I am enjoying the music of Tolkien's prose even more reading it aloud, which allows me to savor it more.

Edit: oh, and I'll check those out. Do give China Mieville a look if you feel like it: The Scar is a great standalone entry-point into his mythos and a terrific fantasy story.
The last time I read Lord of the Rings my oldest daughter was about 11 or 12. We read it together out loud. When we were in the chapter of The Fellowship where Gandalf confronts the balrog was getting all primed to dramatically read Gandalf denying passage across the bridge. Just a couple of paragraphs before that my annoying neighbor rang the doorbell for something or other and totally killed the mood. Like being a teenager with my girlfriend in a dimmed living room and only to have my parents turn on the light.

We also had fun doing Gollum's voice when we came to his dialogue.

I will check out Mieville, and thanks for the recommendation.

Back