Humor Helpful Info for Mu-43 Migrants

I, too have kept watching it mainly out of hope that it will get better, but Chibnall's writing has been a major disappointment. I was not opposed to a female Doctor, and the three seasons of Broadchurch with Tennant, Olivia Coleman, and Whittaker as Beth Lattimer were excellent. Unfortunately, Chibnall seemed to have used all of his best writing on Broadchurch, and he gave Whittaker absolutely nothing to work with the last 5 years. I'm not certain RTD can pull the show from life support, but if he can somehow recreate the kind of writing he displayed in "Blink" and "The Waters of Mars", there may still be hope.
I was into Broadchurch, though the first season was understandably the best, when it was a whodunnit.

RAH, RAH, RAH!
Anyone talking about Sci-Fi and not mentioning Robert Anson Heinlein is obviously not a real fan!;)
Ok, not everyone will agree with me but I think he was a great writer.

Yes, it is books and not films, but books are better, they stimulate your fantasy.
With films and TV-shows you just consume, with books your fantasy comes alive and you try to "see" what happens and how it looks.

BTW, I need to reread LOTR for the umpteen time again, because I think the movies has now faded enough in my memory for me to enjoy the books again.
Agreed, Bo. The films concentrate mostly on the violence, leaving aside about half a dozen unforced errors, to use the chess term. Leaving out the Old Forest, Tom Bombadil and Goldberry, and the old barrow downs seriously compromised the logic of the films.

The books examine the philosophical and human relationships in far greater depth and detail.

Still, the films were magnificently done.

Agreed, Bo. The films concentrate mostly on the violence, leaving aside about half a dozen unforced errors, to use the chess term. Leaving out the Old Forest, Tom Bombadil and Goldberry, and the old barrow downs seriously compromised the logic of the films.

The books examine the philosophical and human relationships in far greater depth and detail.

The one thing I think the films lack is the slow pace in some places, it has been cut out to get the films into a short enough time.
I like to read the books and really enjoy the slow pace that there is some times, no adventures, just telling how it was to travel.
Your imagination has to work for you to enjoy it but that is what I like.

I can somehow appreciate the movies and the books as separate entities. I love both. The books have primacy, as they were a part of my life first (people younger than me often have it the other way around, strange!) and they have the masterful hand of Tolkien unchanged. But the movies still rose above most other films and have a deep emotional impact and lastingly beautiful visuals.

The one thing I think the films lack is the slow pace in some places, it has been cut out to get the films into a short enough time.
I like to read the books and really enjoy the slow pace that there is some times, no adventures, just telling how it was to travel.
Your imagination has to work for you to enjoy it but that is what I like.
My precis:

"A tale of the battle between good and evil. Evil triumphs, but is brought undone by its own lust for power."

I can somehow appreciate the movies and the books as separate entities. I love both. The books have primacy, as they were a part of my life first (people younger than me often have it the other way around, strange!) and they have the masterful hand of Tolkien unchanged. But the movies still rose above most other films and have a deep emotional impact and lastingly beautiful visuals.
It's hard to top 1,100 pages of beautiful prose and blank verse ...

I just rewatched both the Hobbit and the LOTR films, and found them astoundigly unemotional. Waaayyyy too much action strung together.

I might upset some people here, but I thought the Harry Potter films did a much better job of balancing the action with the character development and bringing the "mundane", non-plot driving aspects of the magic world to life much more strongly than the LOTR films ever did.

GoT was also good at bringing to life world and characters, at least until season 7.

Ever read Last of the Mohicans?
Yup, ever been through "Moby Dick"? - its a value for money book, it takes serious amounts of time and willpower to get through that, which reminds me that I should probably brush the dust of "Don Quijote", which has stood on the shelfs for a while... May be time to revisit Master Heinlein again, as well.

Yup, ever been through "Moby Dick"? - its a value for money book, it takes serious amounts of time and willpower to get through that, which reminds me that I should probably brush the dust of "Don Quijote", which has stood on the shelfs for a while... May be time to revisit Master Heinlein again, as well.
The thought of that makes me cringe. No thanks.

Let us know how they turn out. Remember, no spoilers!

RAH, RAH, RAH!
Anyone talking about Sci-Fi and not mentioning Robert Anson Heinlein is obviously not a real fan!;)
Ok, not everyone will agree with me but I think he was a great writer.

Yes, it is books and not films, but books are better, they stimulate your fantasy.
With films and TV-shows you just consume, with books your fantasy comes alive and you try to "see" what happens and how it looks.
He is really good writer and a great SciFi author, but as I got older I started to have trouble with some of his ideas. I loved him as a teenager, especially glory road. I also never really got into his most famous work, Stranger in a Strange Land. Still I bought many of his books.

Big fan of the books and a fan of the movies. Much of the problems could have been settled with a four movie series. I was REALLY bothered by the omission of Tom Bombadil and, especially, the Battle of the Shire. That's where we see how the Hobbits have changed as a result of their trials and journeys. It drives me mad, however, that LOTR was done in thee movies and cut, whereas The Hobbit was done in three movies and stretched. I still think Jackson and the actors did an amazing job given the requirements and constraints of making an expensive movie.

I'm writing a separate post because this is such a different topic. A colleague of mine (Ed) in the English Department taught a course called Fantasy, which included both fantasy and sci fi lit. For about 15 years, he asked me to come in and cover one book, initially Gibson's Neuromancer. One of his books was The Fellowship of the Ring. One day he asks me, "what is the power of the one ring?". It makes lesser ones invisible, but not the powerful ones. If, for example, Aragorn had taken the ring for himself, what would he now be able to do that he couldn't before? We never actually came to definitive conclusion (maybe that's the point) but I'd be curious to hear what you folks think.

Back