Fuji Here's a quick question for the mathematically minded

Lightmancer

Legend
Name
Bill Palmer
All other things being equal, will I get a larger file from my 12mp X20 with the lens set to a 50mm fov or from a 16mp X100 cropped to the same 50mm fov? Forget about all other considerations of cost, handling etc I am simply interested at this stage in the image size.

Answers on a postcard, please, to the usual address.

Thank you kindly.

Do you crop to 4:3 or 3:2?

If you keep the aspect ratio, you'll end up with about 7.6 MP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought so. So the X20 @50mm equivalent gives a larger file than the X100 cropped by a significant margin, correct? So my subsidiary question is, file size now understood, which gives the best rendition?

To find out how the different setups work, I'd suggest exposing a test chart with both cameras at base ISO (100 and 200 respectively) and also at higher ISOs like 400, 800, 1600 and 3200. This should help find the point where the X100S/T overtakes the X20/30. This should of course all be done with RAWs and an external RAW converter. I'd also try the test chart with normal lighting and dimmed (low) lighting, similar to the DPR studio samples.

Not to mention factors like the aperture which might have to be set to equivalent values, resulting in a higher ISO (or slower shutter speed) setting in the X100. Each shot or situation would require a new evaluation. I assume the X20 will offer better resolution at ISO 100 than the cropped X100 at ISO 200, but as long as 7 MP are sufficient for the task, the X100 should be the better choice.

Back