Sony Here's a Thought - Sony A Mount to Nikon Z?

gryphon1911

Hall of Famer
Name
Andrew
So, just saw this:

And got me thinking that if I got this and an A mount to E mount AF adapter, I should in theory be able to use the legacy Minolta lenses with AF on the Nikon Z cameras.

That means the AF 500mm f/8 Reflex is now in play with cameras that have superior IBIS as well as high ISO performance. Even the Tamron 200-400mm f/5.6 might have some new life!What really intrigues me though more than anything is being able to use the Minolta 135mm f/2.8!

These and much more from my A-Mount collection.

Now just need to research and see which of the LA-AEn adapters makes the most sense to get for this potential future experimentation. - So I should have waited a minute. First search and from the Sony website it states that the E2 is only compatible with APS-C, E4 is compatible with APS-C and Full Frame. So now, that sounds like the question is...$100 difference between the 2 - will I really use the a-mount lenses on the Z6 or just the Z fc??? Leaning toward the Z6 and it can be happy on both!!

Heck the ETZ alone might interest me if Sony has any lenses that I want that Nikon doesn't currently.

So, just saw this:

And got me thinking that if I got this and an A mount to E mount AF adapter, I should in theory be able to use the legacy Minolta lenses with AF on the Nikon Z cameras.

That means the AF 500mm f/8 Reflex is now in play with cameras that have superior IBIS as well as high ISO performance. Even the Tamron 200-400mm f/5.6 might have some new life!What really intrigues me though more than anything is being able to use the Minolta 135mm f/2.8!

Now just need to research and see which of the LA-AEn adapters makes the most sense to get for this potential future experimentation. - So I should have waited a minute. First search and from the Sony website it states that the E2 is only compatible with APS-C, E4 is compatible with APS-C and Full Frame. So now, that sounds like the question is...$100 difference between the 2 - will I really use the a-mount lenses on the Z6 or just the Z fc??? Leaning toward the Z6 and it can be happy on both!!

Heck the ETZ alone might interest me if Sony has any lenses that I want that Nikon doesn't currently.
I wonder how many adapters you could stack in a row.

There's more to it than that. There are five adapters. Some are APS-C, some FF. Some are only fully compatible with certain models. As an example, the LA-EA5 will only AF the screw drive lenses on newer cameras, but it will drive the SAM lenses on any camera. The LA-EA4 and older use the SLT technology, so you're dealing with the translucent mirror and microfocus.

The best one by far is the LA-EA5, smallest, lightest, no mirror, look and feels about like an extension tube. But it only works with A7RIV and newer, if memory serves. What you'd need to find out is which adapter, if any, is compatible with the Meike. Or, maybe they all are and it won't matter.

Here's an interactive compatibility page from Sony. It's for the A7IV, but you can choose any camera. After you pick your camera, scroll down to the A mount Maxxum lenses at the bottom, then pick a lens. You'll get a popup window with all 5 adapters. You can click on each one to get a summary of compatible features.

FWIW, I emailed Meike. It will be interesting to see their response. I'm more interested in using it with E-Mount, but the possibility of extending it to A-Mount is intriguing.

Last edited:
There's more to it than that. There are five adapters. Some are APS-C, some FF. Some are only fully compatible with certain models. As an example, the LA-EA5 will only AF the screw drive lenses on newer cameras, but it will drive the SAM lenses on any camera. The LA-EA4 and older use the SLT technology, so you're dealing with the translucent mirror and microfocus.

The best one by far is the LA-EA5, smallest, lightest, no mirror, look and feels about like an extension tube. But it only works with A7RIV and newer, if memory serves. What you'd need to find out is which adapter, if any, is compatible with the Meike. Or, maybe they all are and it won't matter.

Here's an interactive compatibility page from Sony. It's for the A7IV, but you can choose any camera. After you pick your camera, scroll down to the A mount Maxxum lenses at the bottom, then pick a lens. You'll get a popup window with all 5 adapters. You can click on each one to get a summary of compatible features.

FWIW, I emailed Meike. It will be interesting to see their response. I'm more interested in using it with E-Mount, but the possibility of extending it to A-Mount is intriguing.

what this also means is that I will need to find a place with a good return policy if I decide to be the test subject on this adventure.

So, just saw this:

Looks good. Yes, the return policy is important if you wish to try such an adapter.

Are you looking at those Sony lenses that are in the telephoto range?

Got a nonsensical response from Meike today. They said: "The adapter is for Sony E to Nikon Z."

No kidding, eh? I responded, which resulted in a couple questions from them and further clarification from me, so we'll see.

I’m looking to see if I can adapt my old a- Mount lenses I currently have to Z Mount by stacking the ETZ then putting a Sony a to e Mount adapter on that.
Hmmm. By logic, that should work, as the A-mount contacts are just directly transposed to the E-Mount's. It would be good to know how this is going to pan out.

Have you looked at Megadap's ETZ21? It's, at least, giving having some good reviews. It looks flushed and I like how the different mechanisms are designed. I like how the adapter is flushed to the Z-Mount, so we don't have to worry about rigidity/distortion with heavier lenses.

Hmmm. By logic, that should work, as the A-mount contacts are just directly transposed to the E-Mount's. It would be good to know how this is going to pan out.

Have you looked at Megadap's ETZ21? It's, at least, giving having some good reviews. It looks flushed and I like how the different mechanisms are designed. I like how the adapter is flushed to the Z-Mount, so we don't have to worry about rigidity/distortion with heavier lenses.

I’ll be researching all options for sure.

Back