Micro 4/3 Hey everyone!

minimalist82

Hi there,

I've just joined and i'm looking forward to contributing! I have been a member (and very occasional contributor) on MU43 for a while as many others have, but i guess i'm moving to where the people are!

I'm UK based and fast approaching 40. I've been into photography for around 10 years now, I have a full time corporate job and a young family, so it really serves as a creative outlet for me. I moved to M4/3 in 2016 picking up the Lumix GX80 and I've been hooked on this system since. I realised quite quickly that I'm best off with something small and compact as I like to take a camera everywhere with me, so the system really ticks boxes for me. The limitations have never really been an issue for me and I'm constantly amazed at the quality I can achieve. Since the GX80, I have owned a GX8, which I loved, but eventually replaced that with a GX9, which is my current main camera. I have also just acquired a GX800 to give me an even more compact option. In terms of lenses, I'm very much a prime lover, I like to set myself creative constraints and keep things very simple. Currently I just have the Pana Leica 25mm F1.4 and the 15mm F1.7. Both are incredible and i don't think there is much more I need. I'm tempted my the Pana 20mm F1.7 pancake as a more compact option for my GX800, but i don't 'need' it! ;).

I'm a little sad about the uncertainty of this system, with the way things are progressing with full frame mirrorless, but I've resisted the temptation to jump ship. I just keep reminding myself that my own creativity is my only real barrier to better images!

Great to meet you all!

I do have the M10, M5, Pen-F and M5 III.
More than enough for what I do.
I can still buy them.
I have enough lenses.
And there is even a new cam by OM. So a few more years to go.
So I "do not care" about the system...in a way that I understand the problems on the photography market nowadays.
Mobile Phone cams get better and to be honest for occasional pics, no camera is needed.
So the market surely has to break down.
FF will survive longer for professional use.
But I think there still will be the demand for a smaller system with smaller lenses.
If this will be M43 or something else/new (to generate revenue) I don't know.
Technically, the Nikon 1 size would be able to produce nice results today.
So for now I just take pictures with what I have.
And after the M5 III is such a good cam, I see myself falling back to my Pen-F with only the 17/1.8 mounted and in mono profile while strolling ;)

I'm a little sad about the uncertainty of this system, with the way things are progressing with full frame mirrorless, but I've resisted the temptation to jump ship. I just keep reminding myself that my own creativity is my only real barrier to better images!
I recently revisited (for about the 4th time) the world of FF, mostly Sony offerings. I was intrigued by the Sony A7C, which is a very small FF camera with 24MP. Looks ideal! There is all this talk going around that unless you want high-powered tele lenses for wildlife, that FF isn't all that large. Well, when I started looking for what lens I would get with the very small A7C body, I quickly learned that things are large even with standard zoom lenses, at least as far as I could see. I suppose you might get a small prime, but I don't want that, so I stopped looking after seeing the size of a standard zoom. I should mention that this is all GAS; I still am very happy with m43!

Welcome to Cameraderie! Looking forward to seeing some GX9 shots.

I'm fairly confident that m4/3 will continue for plenty of years to come, although the focus seems to be firmly on the higher, bulkier end of the market - as it is with all camera brands.

I'm fairly confident that m4/3 will continue for plenty of years to come, although the focus seems to be firmly on the higher, bulkier end of the market - as it is with all camera brands.
I think the popularity of vlogging is/should keep the smaller and lighter end of M4/3 going. Panasonic released the G100 which was unfortunately hamstrung in a few ways (crop for 4K video, no IBIS, limited mechanical shutter) but which did a great job size-wise. My wife has that camera as an upgrade from her GF7 and she really likes it with the 12-32mm. If the manufacturers don't abandon the idea of compact vlogging/hybrid cameras we may see some better models which address some of the shortcomings. At least I hope so.

Back