Fuji "Hey Fuji!" (Things to ask about, provide feedback for, and wish for ... of Fuji

carlb

All-Pro
Alright - this is a congenial site of thoughtful posts, great shots, and avid enthusiasts. As such I'd be willing to bet a few folks at Fuji might read here quite often. (Who knows, maybe an anonymous Fuji employee posting even?)

So - If we wanted to make it easy for Fuji to see what we'd like them to know: how about a thread specifically for that? (Ehm, this one.)
If you have a question, comment, request or what-have-you which you'd like Fuji to hear, try posting it here.

Now, Fuji might be interested in "how many people think such-and-such is important also?" So, use your "Reply with Quote" buttons for a given post (and strip down the quoted text to keep things crisp), then provide your "+1," "+100!!!!!," etc. to give an indication of your alignment with that post. (Probably avoid "-1" or "thumbs-down" type emoticons, just thoughtful, _considerate_ text if you disagree with a post.)

On the "wishes," try to think through how realistic they might be. Could the idea make money? At least not take up huge resources and lose lots of money? ;) Answers to those would be strong incentives/dis-incentives for any business. Maybe provide your thoughts about why the "wish" would make sense for Fuji ...

So - what would you like to tell the folks at Fuji or ask them for?

a pet peeve of mine with most cameras. I switch between single shot and drive mode pretty often. How about a drive mode dial? Single shot, high speed burst, exposure bracket and self-timer.
It's why I still keep my lowly old Panasonic G1. Sometimes a brother wants to do a little HDR and needs an exposure bracket without menu diving. Sorry the 4 position switch to which I refer is out of focus.....
8499642583_dd72b74ceb_n.jpg

P2211485 by Lukinosity, on Flickr

... How about a drive mode dial? Single shot, high speed burst, exposure bracket and self-timer ...

+1 Definite! I'd love a small click-dial like that that to nab a quick "+1 - 0 - -1" exposure spread or such. As it is, when out shooting I have to think about "where is multiple exposure in the menu? Wait, is 'multiple exposure' what I want? Ehm ... oh, forget it."

I'm trying a loaner X-E1 with 35/1.4 right now and loving it. The camera prooves to be WAY more usable than all the hubbub on internet fora makes it to be...
What I'd love to slightly change/improve if I could.
The White Balance shift grid doesn't run traditional Blue/Amber Magenta/Green axes, I'd like them better than Red/Cyan Blue/Amber Fuji uses.
I'd love to have a direct control that can be configured for flash compensation. I'd like the built-in flash to be a hair more powerful and to tilt a bit further back (à la NEX 7).
I'd LOVE a bottom hinged tilt screen like my NEX 7 has, it's very, very useful for ground based pics and portraits. I'd like to be able to have a HOLD setting for image review that plays the just shot image with no time limit and no default zooming in, and I'd love to be able to delete a picture upon taking it without having to press the Play button first.
I'd like the general camera operation to be a bit snappier. I'd like the grip to be a bit deeper. The camera looks gorgeous but the brick like shape doesn't make it super secure to hold. I'd like the EVF to be slightly improved and less contrasty. I'd like to have the option to turn the LCD gain off and show very reliably a full time exposure preview, even it that means the LCD turns black in some manual mode situation (my NEX offers that).
I'm nitpicking here, overall the X-E is a very lovable camera, even if right now I don't feel ready yet to trade my 7 for it. Oh, and forgetting the obvious, but I'd want focus Peaking. I think that'd be the swithing point for me...

... What I'd love to slightly change/improve if I could ...

Great ideas, all of those!

What I would want to know is how to implement those without making the camera a "menu diver" or a "what the heck is *that* button!?" type of affair. ;)

If you had to prioritize your list, and could see a cool implementation of user interface for those features, what might that list look like?

Upon re-reading your post, it seems that most of those could be done without user interface control changes - so I was probably all wet, heh.

I'm getting mine today, so I may have others to add, but for me, I know there are 2 things I'll miss:

1) tilty LCD screen. Really have become addicted (you can blame Ray. He convinced me)

2) faster AF. Sorry. I know it's cliched. I take a lot of pics of kids in motion, and I'd just like faster AF. And the pontential for CAF. I know I could use another system for that, but that is ALWAYS a bit thing for me. If they don't do it because they are shooting for a different kind of photographer, that's OK. But it's what I would like.

My biggest wish is a proper minimum shutter speed when using auto-ISO. With my X-E1 and 35mm, it seems OK, using a sec shutter speed around 1/53 sec. With the 18-55, though, it seems to only use 1/30th no matter what focal length is used or whether OIS is on or off. Perhaps it's just an issue with the 18-55? Either way, fixing this would be great, or even better would be to also add a setting for minimum shutter speed with auto-ISO.

Maybe it is just me but I have two minor items to throw out there:

1. SD card goes in the bottom next to the battery. I pull out the SD card a lot, but the battery not so often. Put a tripod QR plate on the camera an you can't open the door to get the SD out. Ugh. Solution? Put the SD card slot on the side of the camera.

2. Putting the camera into my bag often turns the camera on. Reposition the on/off switch a bit back or add some resistance to the movement.

1. SD card goes in the bottom next to the battery. I pull out the SD card a lot, but the battery not so often. Put a tripod QR plate on the camera an you can't open the door to get the SD out. Ugh. Solution? Put the SD card slot on the side of the camera.

2. Putting the camera into my bag often turns the camera on. Reposition the on/off switch a bit back or add some resistance to the movement.
I would not mind the sd slot moved although it is not a big deal for me the way it is.
I do not want a reposition of the on/off but I do agree a little more resistance would be nice.

I can agree with faster AF just to get the critics off of the camera so that the system can keep growing.
but I would like a faster second shot follow up.
I do not want any other switches or tilt screens added i like the camera the way it is. More switches means more things that can be set wrong by accident.

The main thing I would like to change is the speed at which the news lenses are being released. I very much want the 56mm today.

- at least two more user customizable FN buttons
- faster and more accurate AF (which should come w/ the next generation cameras)
- WYSIWYG EVF/LCD
- faster refresh rate for EVF
- face detection for off center portraits (especially helpful for shallow DOF)
- base ISO of 100
- Pentax-like auto ISO logic

I exchanged a couple of messages with Billy of the "Fuji Guys" about face detection, and he wrote that he told the Tokyo folks that they should add it to the XP, XE and X lineups. No word if Tokyo will do it though.

Well looking at these posts I am more tempted to note what I don't want:
- please no tilt screen
- no additional buttons
- do not convert these cameras into feature lists. Keep them as cameras

The only thing I really want, and it's coming, is the 56.

I know Fuji will continue to iterate, so I look forward to that.

What if the tilt screen doesn't add additional bulk to the camera? Just because there's a tilt screen doesn't mean that one has to tilt it. Or if there are additional custom FN buttons, that doesn't mean that one has to use them either. My thought is that Fuji should use the other directional buttons as customizable FN buttons. Buttons are already there. I believe in giving the user options -- similar to being able to turn on/off the electronic horizon, histogram, DOF scale, etc.

What he said.

I'd be happy for them to leave the X-Pro and X-E bodies as they are and instead create a third X-mount body where they can go to town on more modern features, controls, styling and ergonomics without upsetting the concept of the more traditional bodies for those that like them as they are. I'll be interested to see if Fuji choose to maintain their current niche or go after a broader section of the market that has different expectations. I take the X-E1 (and the apparent success of) as a sign that maybe they are prepared to throw the net a little wider to sell cameras.

What if the tilt screen doesn't add additional bulk to the camera? Just because there's a tilt screen doesn't mean that one has to tilt it. Or if there are additional custom FN buttons, that doesn't mean that one has to use them either. My thought is that Fuji should use the other directional buttons as customizable FN buttons. Buttons are already there. I believe in giving the user options -- similar to being able to turn on/off the electronic horizon, histogram, DOF scale, etc.

If they innovate and create so,e new way of doing a tilt screen I don't care. But the ones I have seen would alter the overall gestalt, so no thanks.

Sure, customize away with existing buttons, though have a presumed default. Ats why i was specific - no additional buttons please. It has what is needed as an effective and intuitive tool for stills.

Hmmm...the things I want for is going to be an impossibility but there's no harm in wishing I guess...
1. Ditch the focus by wire
2. Move the SD card slot to the side away from the bottom in the battery compartment.
3. A Full Frame X-trans sensor

My wish list possible with a firmware update
1. Focus peaking
2. More customisable auto min / max ISO
3. More customisable shutter speed on AV mode.

I'd be happy for them to leave the X-Pro and X-E bodies as they are and instead create a third X-mount body where they can go to town on more modern features, controls, styling and ergonomics without upsetting the concept of the more traditional bodies for those that like them as they are. I'll be interested to see if Fuji choose to maintain their current niche or go after a broader section of the market that has different expectations. I take the X-E1 (and the apparent success of) as a sign that maybe they are prepared to throw the net a little wider to sell cameras.

I doubt if they will go that route. I also don't see the XE as throwing the net wider - generally it just lacks an OVF and some body size when compared to the X-Pro 1. I would suggest that in fact they have controls just as modern as any other camera, and in fact have been the ones to throw the net wide. Others have set aside proven controls, excluding those that prefer a more fluid experience.

But then that's just my view.

I doubt if they will go that route. I also don't see the XE as throwing the net wider - generally it just lacks an OVF and some body size when compared to the X-Pro 1. I would suggest that in fact they have controls just as modern as any other camera, and in fact have been the ones to throw the net wide. Others have set aside proven controls, excluding those that prefer a more fluid experience.

But then that's just my view.

By throwing the net wider I essentially meant removing the non-TTL viewfinder and lowering the price which evidently piqued the interest of a new group of buyers who hadn't bitten when the X-Pro1 came out. For example, I had no real interest in the X-Pro1 but thought hard about the X-E1 for those two reasons.

You might well be right that Fuji will stick to their current design philosophy. I'd find that disappointing but I'm not exactly losing sleep over it. Their sensor technology, colour palette and also some of the lenses are interesting enough for me to keep my eye on what Fuji is doing, but as it stands the rest of the package isn't what I'm looking for just yet.

Back