Fuji Hey, Fuji!

Alex

Rookie
Dec 2, 2012
United States
Alex
I picked up an X-E1 last week on a whim. I like my Nikon gear, but I felt I wanted something small and easy to take out everywhere. Turns out the camera has rekindled my joy of taking photos. Like the other thread here, I was procrastinating between the XPRO and XE1, but I got a really good deal on the X-E1. I think either of these camera's are the better of each other - end of the day just buy the one you can and enjoy it. Fuji have made a real gem that you should get in and enjoy now! I'm glad I did...

X-E1 & 35mm @ ISO200, f1.4

Anway, enough sob story, I just love this thing. I have only the 35mm at the moment and am currently about 500k's from a camera store so the simplicity of one lens on a small highly capable camera is a lot of fun. Here's a few shots from the last few days:

X-E1 & 35mm @ ISO640, f1.4 (whoops, under exposed this by 2 stops but recovered OK in RAW)

X-E1 & 35mm @ ISO200, f4

I can’t put it down – this camera does not beat the specs off other cameras, but it does do one thing no other can for me - it makes me want to go out and take photos.

X-E1 & 35mm @ ISO800, f1.4

What have I learnt so far? Just pick the damn thing up and shoot. I love the dials, it reminds me of shooting with my old (broken) Nikon F3. The aperture ring is the same. The build quality is superb.

I started a little blog, you can see more here

P.S. Can you let me know how the images/site load? (speed wise).

Cheers

Attachments

Phoenix

All-Pro
Dec 28, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Phoenix Gonzales
Hi and welcome Alex

Great shots, I think most of us fall into one or more categories but usually it's a matter of really liking the form factor being small and easy to carry, takes great images, and it makes us enjoy the whole process of taking photos.

ean10775

All-Pro
Feb 13, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Eric
This is is exactly why I decided to get an X-E1. Quite simply, the IQ from my 5DII is phenomenal, but that's the only thing I like about it. This camera makes me want to use it. Thanks for sharing your experience and images.

Alex

Rookie
Dec 2, 2012
United States
Alex
Thanks guys, I am really enjoying the look of the files out of the Fuji. Agree that 5D/D800 files are exceptional, but I find slightly clinical. Perhaps they are too good? :)

I find playing with the X Raw files I can get more out of them - not from a technical basis i.e noise control and shadows/highlights, but I get more from the fuji in terms of look, quality and feel. The rendering is unique and pleasant.

Wish list - Improved foreground bokeh and an engraved distance scale with push/pull focus on the 35mm. The 35mm MK2? One day...

EAN - Have you received the XE1 yet? Let us know what you think when it arrives.

ean10775

All-Pro
Feb 13, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Eric
EAN - Have you received the XE1 yet? Let us know what you think when it arrives.
I should be receiving it tomorrow. I've got a shoot for a high school musical theatre production this weekend so I'll use it alongside my 5DII for a direct comparison. It should be testing since they usually require high ISOs to maintain decent shutter speeds. I'm interested to see how the AF performs.

Latest threads

Top Bottom