Fuji Hey, Fuji!

Alex

Rookie
Name
Alex
I picked up an X-E1 last week on a whim. I like my Nikon gear, but I felt I wanted something small and easy to take out everywhere. Turns out the camera has rekindled my joy of taking photos. Like the other thread here, I was procrastinating between the XPRO and XE1, but I got a really good deal on the X-E1. I think either of these camera's are the better of each other - end of the day just buy the one you can and enjoy it. Fuji have made a real gem that you should get in and enjoy now! I'm glad I did...

fish-for-the-oven.jpg

X-E1 & 35mm @ ISO200, f1.4

Anway, enough sob story, I just love this thing. I have only the 35mm at the moment and am currently about 500k's from a camera store so the simplicity of one lens on a small highly capable camera is a lot of fun. Here's a few shots from the last few days:

Tasha-with-Flower-800-copy.jpg

X-E1 & 35mm @ ISO640, f1.4 (whoops, under exposed this by 2 stops but recovered OK in RAW)

Opera-House.jpg

X-E1 & 35mm @ ISO200, f4

I can’t put it down – this camera does not beat the specs off other cameras, but it does do one thing no other can for me - it makes me want to go out and take photos.

Currarong-sunset-inlet.jpg

X-E1 & 35mm @ ISO800, f1.4

What have I learnt so far? Just pick the damn thing up and shoot. I love the dials, it reminds me of shooting with my old (broken) Nikon F3. The aperture ring is the same. The build quality is superb.

I started a little blog, you can see more here

P.S. Can you let me know how the images/site load? (speed wise).

Cheers

Attachments

• Tasha-with-Flower-800-copy.jpg
    Tasha-with-Flower-800-copy.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Opera-House.jpg
    Opera-House.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 109
  • Currarong-sunset-inlet.jpg
    Currarong-sunset-inlet.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 132
Hi and welcome Alex

Great shots, I think most of us fall into one or more categories but usually it's a matter of really liking the form factor being small and easy to carry, takes great images, and it makes us enjoy the whole process of taking photos.

This is is exactly why I decided to get an X-E1. Quite simply, the IQ from my 5DII is phenomenal, but that's the only thing I like about it. This camera makes me want to use it. Thanks for sharing your experience and images.

Thanks guys, I am really enjoying the look of the files out of the Fuji. Agree that 5D/D800 files are exceptional, but I find slightly clinical. Perhaps they are too good? :)

I find playing with the X Raw files I can get more out of them - not from a technical basis i.e noise control and shadows/highlights, but I get more from the fuji in terms of look, quality and feel. The rendering is unique and pleasant.

Wish list - Improved foreground bokeh and an engraved distance scale with push/pull focus on the 35mm. The 35mm MK2? One day...

EAN - Have you received the XE1 yet? Let us know what you think when it arrives.

EAN - Have you received the XE1 yet? Let us know what you think when it arrives.

I should be receiving it tomorrow. I've got a shoot for a high school musical theatre production this weekend so I'll use it alongside my 5DII for a direct comparison. It should be testing since they usually require high ISOs to maintain decent shutter speeds. I'm interested to see how the AF performs.

Back