Hi all, need help!

power

Just started our first day of our holiday! I also brought a new camera last week a Sony alpha a6000! Played around with it for a few days, and packed in the bag.
On our plane flight (free magazine) i was reading between raw and jpeg, i think iam better going with jpeg and easier to print photos at any department store! Now i left all my camera manuals @ home, so how do i know if iam in raw or jpeg and how do i put it into jpeg mode? & if its in raw now will i loose those photos by switching to jpeg?
Thanks for your time

You won't lose any data that's already recorded in memory, unless something goes wrong with the memory card. When I don't carry manuals (I never do), I download the PDF manual or copy it from the disk that comes with the camera, and then transfer it to my ipad and cellphone.

Cheers guys got the manual from the sony website! Got a 12 hour bus daytrip tomorrow so will give time to flick through it!

Ok so do i set it for RAW, RAW & JPEG, JPEG Fine, JPEG Standard? Rembering i like to print my photos at department stores! Thanks

Raw & jpeg is the safest choice. That way you can print the jpegs at your local dept. store, but you can keep the raw files in case you ever decide to try your hand at post processing. I still have a bunch of jpegs from my early years of shooting, and I kick myself every time I view them. I've gotten better at post processing over the years, but those jpegs are stuck with the limited data with which I shot them. I left all this beautiful light, color, and clarity on the table and walked away. :(

Unless SD card space is an issue I'd also suggest RAW+JPEG. That way you have the RAW file in case you come home with a picture you want to edit more than the JPEG will allow.
That being said I'm very impressed with the A6000 JPEGs, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over just shooting JPEG fine.

I would suggest turning on the zebras at the 100+ setting, this will give you a visual indication of blown highlights and let you dial in exposure compensation before shooting. Blown highlights is one of the biggest reason for me to shoot RAW, there's a lot more headroom in a RAW file than in a JPEG, but with the zebras you know before you take the shot if it's going to be an issue.

Back