Hi from Kent, UK

Hi Tim, and welcome!

You'll find a quite a few happy owners of the X100 on SC (myself included). May I ask what frustrates you with m4/3 in particular?

Hello and welcome Tim. You won't find many here to talk you out of the X100. I think the E-M5 might be the camera I want after buying and selling an E-P1, E-P2, E-PL2 and a G1. I really 'need' a built in VF.

I've been on mu-4/3 for a while but I'm getting increasingly frustrated with the format and I'm this ][ close to buying an X100...

join the club m8
I'm only keeping my epl2 for a zoom kit (40-150) and maybe later a macro

X10 is great and I can only imagine the X100 is even better

Hi Tim, and welcome!

You'll find a quite a few happy owners of the X100 on SC (myself included). May I ask what frustrates you with m4/3 in particular?
I bought a cheap, used E-P1 and I enjoyed it but knew it's shortcomings - AF speed, poor screen etc. What I wasn't ready for was how noisy the images were, even at 200 which shocked me considering how close in size the sensor is to APS-C. I've recently replaced it with a used E-PL2 and again I love the handling, and the 20mm pancake is great, but the admittedly improved noise handling is still disappointing. I love using Lightroom and it's brilliant at taming the noise but it shouldn't be there in the first place in such quantities in my opinion. As a format I'm also frustrated that they just keep pumping out new models with the same sensor in place, and when Oly finally design a better sensor they charge an absurd amount for the camera (over £1100 for OM-D in UK, crazy).

So, now the X100 is £699 in the UK I'm very tempted to give one a whirl, although I do have reservations because of the reliability issues. I hope to try one tomorrow and will make a decision once I've assessed the AF speed; hopefully recent models suffer less from the sticky blades issue??

I'm excited though…

I agree, timallenphoto...
As i said already, the X10 (way smaller sensor then m43) has less grain at higher iso
so i can imagine how good the X100 will be :)

Thanks for the answer Tim, you'll find the Fuji is not just better at high iso, but also better at LOW iso. Concerning autofocus, well...depends on your style of shooting. Once you learn its idiosyncrasies (the use of macro mode, and of "MF mode + AEL/AFL" to get more accurate autofocus) I think it's decent. But if you shoot moving subjects on a daily basis it may get frustrating.

No matter what you decide, have fun shooting.

After using quite some cameras the last year, I can actually confirm that AF speed isn't the most important for me...

Since I always take the time to frame a shot

The times I needed really fast AF I can count on one hand.
I had a nex 3 and never missed fast AF...
just in very low light it could be a bit slow

Back