Critique Wanted Hi key processing

I seem to have become obsessed with Hi Key images. While many are intentionally over exposed by 2 or 3 stops when being taken, I have also been able to adapt others. Here the distracting fore and backgrounds have been selected and "all sliders set to max" to blow out all apart from the elephant.

Do you think this type of effect works? If you like it, or thumbs up it, please add text as to why. I am really looking for critique/comments. Thank you.

IMG_2717.jpeg

I like the elephant one, most likely due to its graphical presentation and cleanliness. It is not a genre I have worked much in, myself, even if my last posted photo leans towards it. I have attached a thumbnail of it in this post.

I think it has its place in the tool bag.

Abstract.jpg

The concept is ok and can look spectacular with the right subject. I'm not normally keen on B&W for wildlife personally, however I do accept that some images can work really well given that treatment.
I find this particular image to be way to crunchy, a softer approach may be more pleasing.
Since writing the above I've looked for 'high key wildlife' on google and less contrast/sharpening with gentler tonal transitions does indeed seem more pleasing, to me at least!

I like them but, for me, the white looks too greyish as a background with the b&w ones in particular. I'm never quite happy with it when I get that result with my b&w images. It works better with the colour I think in the examples you have given above. They are all really good images but I would be tweaking them more to lessen they grey in the white background if these were mine. But it's all subjective (and disclaimer, I am just viewing these on my phone, I might have a different opinion if I was seeing them on a bigger/brighter screen). Basically I would be looking to bring out a more milky white for the background.

you like it
Yeah I like it. Hi-key photography can be most spectacular. This is a spectacular photograph. It's underutilized technique, but my hunch is that it is because that it's difficult to achieve in-camera and when you do it in PP it can (will) look overdone.

I like the high key processing, though I have to say the selections around the main subject which are completely obliterated don't work for me. They make me too aware of the processing to focus on the subject, it doesn't look like a photograph anymore, more like an illustration, if that makes sense.

They are really different, but I like them a lot. I don't look at them as wildlife depictions. They are graphic creations, and IMO would look great as B&W prints.

Back