Fuji Hi..... my name is Luke....... and I'm a Fujiholic

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
It started innocently enough. I just wasn't feeling the thrill with my DSLR. The images were great (or at least as great as they could be with me behind the camera). But the joy of use that I felt with my X100 was not there. And then I started looking back through my flickr stream and ran across a stretch of photos I had taken over a year ago with my old X-Pro1. They leaped off the page. That was it.....I knew I had to re-get the X-Pro1. I checked the forums and no one was giving one away. Then I peeked in on eBay. I spotted one that had just been listed. A few days later I had it...... and the 18mm lens they were selling along with it. I quickly traded the unwanted 18 and a little cash for the 35mm I coveted.

So I was good.... I had the 2 pieces I REALLY missed. But I needed a little extra for variety.....right? Then, I found a used 18-55.....and then a 55-200. Sweet. Now I'm done.

And then I started thinking about what a hassle it can be to change lenses out in the field. I know X-E1s are dirt cheap on the used market. I check eBay quick and see one that was just listed and "priced to sell". And sell it did...... should be here early next week.

It's been a whirlwind couple of weeks. Luckily all my Pentax stuff has found new homes, so it didn't really cost me anything. But I gotta quit it. Seriously.....I'm good now. Although if a used 56mm shows up in the low $700 range, I can not be held responsible for my actions. But really I just to start saving for the future 150-400mm.

I've actually gone the full circle, I originally had the XP-1 and the 35mm, then I got the 18mm for free, since I'm not using it, I've let it go the same say I have come to possession of it. I was really wanting the 23mm, but after purchasing it I've come to realise that it's not for me and it is now back in it's box. I am now back to where I started and somehow feel "complete" if I can use the term gear-wise.

Pimping my gear though is another matter. Wrist strap, Neck strap, thumbs up (now sans thumbs up), soft release 1, soft release 2, plastic handgrip base plate (I have now upgraded to the metal handgrip baseplate with the battery and memory card cutaway), long exposure cable release, and maybe in the future a new bag.

I'm finding that I'm investing more on accessories, while it may not be as expensive as a lens or a new body, it does add up.

Fuji X-Pro 1 metal hand grip , just a word to the wise, the screw that comes with the handgrip is fragile, I had a bad experience with it.

When I bought the handgrip, I installed it to the body of the XP-1 with the supplied allen key, after a couple of turns to secure the baseplate I decided to give it one last turn to tighten it, that's when the head of the screw came off, I tried to get a replacement screw and tried to solder it to no avail, I even contacted Fuji to ask them where can I find a replacement screw. I effectively broke the handgrip even before I was able to use it.

I was about to just bin the the handgrip when my mate told me to check out really right stuff, maybe they'll have a replacement screw, and they did! which was a lot sturdier than the screw that comes with the grip.

The grip set me back $150 AUD, the screw from really right stuff costs about $6 AUD and the shipping costs $50 AUD, so all in all about $200 AUD for a handgrip.

One Father's Day, 3+ years ago, my wife handed me this black box with Fuji X100 written on it. I'd only used tiny compacts and 35mm film cameras. I tried to figure out how to take the lens off. I slowly began to realize it wouldn't come off, that this one lens was all I'd be able to use, and I secretly felt let down. As soon as I was in front of a browser, I googled it to find out what the hell it was. That led to learning about sensor sizes and why they matter, and even a few very early reviews of the camera, but the thing had just come out, so there wasn't this flood of OH MY GOD press about it yet. Just whispers.

Then a google search led me here. I learned more. Much more. I posted images, and got good feedback. I digested other peoples' pictures, and began to slowly learn what made me like them, and how to do similar things process-wise.

Then I began to want other focal lengths. And faster speed. The XE-2 allllmost got me, but early specs on the forthcoming XT1 came out, and I knew what was going to go down. I decided I HAD to have that ISO dial, and that enormous EVF, and and and...

I thought I'd be clever... I thought I'd out-smart myself and skip the kit zoom, going right for 3 primes, "and that's IT!" Just the 14, the 35, and the 56. There, I'm covered. "Won't you need something mid-wide?" Oh no, I said, I'll still have the X100 for that. Then I borrowed a friend's 27 pancake, and bought one used here off the forum within a week. Then I borrowed his 18-55 zoom for a 5-week vacation, and I cannot stop dreaming of having SOME kind of zoom. And a 23. And the new fast 16 prime when it comes out. And a second body, likely an XE-2 in a year or two when they're cheap and used.

sigh.

*sigh*

My first X was an X10. The "gateway drug" as I now call it. Then came an X-E1...

Today, I have (deep breath) Fujinon 14, 18, 23, 27, 35, 56, 60, 18-55, 18-135, 55-200, Samyang 300, and Olympus OM 50mm Macro and an Olympus fit 400mm Tokina to go on my X-M1, X-Pro1 and X-T1. I have shifted a shed-load of Nikon and Leica kit to pay for all this, but now I am done...

...did I mention the X-F1?

...did I mention my wife has an X-F1 too?

...that 90 sounds so tempting

...and the superzoom...

...and if they ever bring out a 1.4x teleconverter...

My name is Bill and I am a Fujiholic... :crying:

I also started with an X10 and sold it so I was in the clear for a while but now I have an XE1 but I can see this getting ugly really quickly. Some days I think "I can manage an 18-55...it's just ONE lens. That's not too bad...just ONE lens." First an 18-55 then a 27 and a 35 because EVERYONE has the 35 and I can't be the only one without it. Then it's the full copy of Capture One Pro 8 because EVERYONE shoots RAW. Next thing you know I wake up in a strange bed smelling of a freshly opened box of Velvia with SuperCCD tattooed on my chest next to a woman dressed in an oversized leather half case.

I better just check into rehab now and avoid the whole debacle.

It started with my desire for a good camera, smaller than a dslr but with image quality on a par. Then I found an article in a photo newspaper that sang the praises of the entire X series range. A week later I was in a camera shop putting my hands on an XE1 and 27mm, I liked the feel of the gear. Next thing my birthday had passed and an XE2 with an 18-55 and a 55-200 arrived on my doorstep. I reasoned that it was fait accompli, with a more than capable rangefinder body with built in flash and a spread of quality glass from 18 through to 200mm I wouldn't need anything else.

But I hadn't owned a prime lens in years and longed for the discipline of working with a prime again.

27mm from eBay arrived.

So I'm done.

Quite fancy a 16mm.

Second body would be useful, XT1 methinks.

There's worse things to be on this planet than a Fujiholic! :whoo:

This thread needs deleting before others get out of control with GAS and Fuji-addiction.
I suspect for some (if not all of us), the addiction doesn't just stop at Fuji.

Back