Hi !

Kustom48

Regular
Name
ian drury
Just found your site and have registered as I'm very interested in photography generally and hoping to buy a 'serious compact' camera when I'm able to afford one to use as my 'take it everywhere' camera and to replace/ upgrade my Fuji F200EXR.:)

I also own a Panasonic GX1, G3 and an Olympus EPL-1, with various lenses: 20mm F1.7 Panasonic, 45-200mm Panasonic, Olympus 45mm F1.8 and an old Vivitar 28mm F2.8 manual lens via an adaptor ( m4/3rds to m42 thread ).:D

I love them all for various reasons, but would like to have a truely 'pocketable' compact with advanced features, hence signing up today !:cool:

Welcome Ian! I should probably mention that this site is also very much about (photography with) the micro 4/3 gear you already own! It's basically about any camera that combines a focus on enthusiast photographers with the aim to be easily brought along (there's a whole topic about what constitutes a "serious compact" somewhere on this website, but suffice to say that if you like it for its smallness it probably qualifies). That being said, the serious fixed-lens compacts are a big (and probably growing) part of that market sector, and this site! :)

+1 to what Protype said. Have you considered selling one of your m43 cams to fund a pocketable one? 3 seems like a lot of overlap, but perhaps you have specific reasons for them.

Welcome aboard!

Hello again,
Thanks for all your 'welcomes' too.
I actually won the twin lens EPL-1 kit some time back, and I like the art filters it has, but the handling is not as good,to much menu delving for my style of use,and remote release not possible .

The G3 & GX1 seem to work better for me, but neither of them is my 'ideal' camera, as these and many others have compromises in their features.

I bought the G3 to replace a big, heavy DSLR, a Canon 400D and lenses and recently found a bargain GX1 body as a 'previously sold and returned' deal at almost half normal price, so that's why I bought it !

Had good reviews,and when I tried one out, all too briefly, it felt ok to me.

I still would like an advanced feature serious compact that is really pocketable, as even my GX1 & EPL-1 are too big for my puny pockets !

So, any advice and favourable reviews, real world owner experiences would help me decide with no brand favouritism, I'm open to suggestions !

Looking forward to some feedback !

Regards.