Fuji High ISO images

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
I don't know about you all, but I'm just amazed by this camera's abilities at high ISO speeds. Next I have to have some prints made but they look very good to my eyes even at their largest sizes. And I'm talking about in color, too.

Most of you will remember my claim of taking this picture at an ISO of 64,000 ;) - it was really a mistake in my zeroes, not an on purpose exaggeration. In reality it was taken at 1/2500 @ f/8 ISO 6400

5727745915_4aa11a73b9_b.jpg

I have a whole bunch of photographs from our daughter's graduation that I am slowly making my way through. Don't worry, I promise I won't post them all here, but I thought it might be interesting for some of us to show examples of high ISO images that we think have worked out well.

Here's one example of a photograph at 1/55th @ f/2.8 ISO 5000. In this case I did use Nik's Define directly from the DNG file - just their automatic setting.. I don't really know how to use it but I used it. Then I used Color Efex Pro Contrast...then back into Lightroom and did my own thing. If anyone has any interest you can see two other versions of this picture - one with no noise compensation...and one with just using LR's de-noise slider...if you click here.

5815561538_379767bf9f_b.jpg

I hope others will add their pictures here if they were taken at what most of us would consider high ISO speeds because I think this is one of the X100's highlights. Of course it makes great photos at ISO 200, too.:D

A few at 3200 (that's where I've set the ceiling or Auto ISO so that's as high as I've gone - can't imagine needing more since I can shoot in nearly pitch black conditions as is!). I'm sure these have been up elsewhere but not in the context of high ISO. All were processed in Color Efex Pro, but no NR other than the in-camera jpeg NR (which is better than I can do with post processing NR treatment).

-Ray

3200 f2.0, 1/27th
View attachment 37641

3200 f2.8, 1/45th
View attachment 37642

3200 f2.8 1/34th
View attachment 37643

Ray and BB, I'm really loving the colours and PP I'm seeing from both of you on the forums recently - keep it up! I have to say PP is a big weak point of mine, and seeing your images is a good motivation - thanks :)

Also... no thanks for starting off my X100 urges again :( its a good job I'm too poor at the moment ;) but seriously, thats some crazy good high ISO performance, reminds me of my k5's performance. I guess it wont be long til talking about high iso performance will just be a thing of the past as technology reaches a point it virtually becomes a non-issue, perhaps a 2-3years on aps-c sensors?

Shot this morning. ISO2500, f2.8 1/140, RAW processed in LR with minimal noise reduction and a neutral tone conversion to B+W. Processed for posting in CS4. I remain amazed at the X100's low light ability while I remember pushed Tri-X and and grain like rocks.
p508221856-4.jpg

. . . David

Well, this all proves one thing now doesn't it.
High ISO is no longer 3200. It's actually embarrassing to camera makers.
There's a handful of cameras that can do what the X100 can do at 3200. Even at 6400 or 12800, IQ is very very good.
Tsk tsk.... what ever will they come up with next.

As the X100 is the right tool for so many situations, what other compact high IQ camera are you taking along on an extended trip of let's say two weeks, big city, country side, mountains. The X100 covers probably 80% or more of ones needs, but there are times a wider or longer lens is needed. And let's assume your physician just diagosed you with a small sensor camera allergy.;)

As the X100 is the right tool for so many situations, what other compact high IQ camera are you taking along on an extended trip of let's say two weeks, big city, country side, mountains. The X100 covers probably 80% or more of ones needs, but there are times a wider or longer lens is needed. And let's assume your physician just diagosed you with a small sensor camera allergy.;)

There are always tradeoffs. Even though I almost never use mine around my home turf anymore, I continue to think m43 is the best compromise between size and quality out there. And the perfect travel gear. its not as good as the Nex or X100 at high ISO, but its getting fairly close and is pretty damn good, just not AS good. And the versatility in a small package is tough to beat. Take a G3 or a GF3 (if you don't mind the lack of buttons and evf) with something like a 14-140 (or 14-150) as your main lens, and bring a UWA (9-18 or 7-14) and something faster (20mm or the new 25mm or the Voightlander 25mm) for low light, and you're quite well set for nearly anything you could possibly encounter. In a very small and light bag. You could always compromise further and take something like an XZ-1 or LX-5 or S95, but then your allergies kick in.

I tend not to use my m43 gear around home much because I'm usually going out to shoot with some particular purpose in mind and usually the X100 or GRD3 or Nex is a better tool for the job (except for the rare telephoto application, where m43 is all I've got). But if I was going on a major sightseeing trip again where photography wasn't the primary goal and my goal was good travel photography rather than better expressive photography, m43 with one or two bodies and 3-4 lenses would still be an easy call. And as the bodies and lenses continue to get better, it'd be an even easier call than it was last summer when I did such a trip.

-Ray

In all seriousness, good question. I don't know the answer about high ISO cameras... Are any of the Ricoh's with the lens modules good at high ISOs?

Since I got the GRD3, I've spent a bit of time checking in on a couple of Ricoh forums and, from what I can gather, the GXR with the APS lens/sensor modules (at either 28 or 50mm equivalencies) are very good. Sounds like probably on par with the Nex, just a little bit less good than the X100. But still very capable. No personal experience though. But really, the GH2 and G3 and maybe the GF3 are getting so good its getting close to a non-issue. Not quite a non-issue, but getting there.

-Ray

I have always had a struggle with low lite conditions, I have slowly been trying to grasp good picture taking in low light situations. This pic was taken during one of my lectures at ISO 3200.
X100_3200_ISO_.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back