Fuji Highlight / Shadow Indicators on X-A1?

merosen

Regular
Name
Mark
HI,
Wondering if there is way to see highlight (blowout) and shadow (plugged) info before taking the image, (usually a color indicator)
You can see blown highlights ( flashing black) when you review the taken image.
I'd like to preview them.
I looked through the menus and couldn't find anything.
It may not be an available feature as the X-A1 is an entry level camera.
btw - is this a feature on other X series cameras
Thanks,
Mark

No, color masking showing overexposed or under exposed areas
On some cameras when I'm in that viewing mode and I have an over exposed sky, it shows up as an orange area on the screen
as I stop down, the orange will go away-- sky has correct exposure,
same with shadows -- too underexposed -- they go black. Open up and the black lessens/
It's another way of metering -- seeing by a color mask I know where my highlight to shadow range is, and I can change it by how much of the mask I'm viewing
This same same feature is used in image processing. You can see where your blowing out the highlights etc.
Mark

Ah, well I guess I've never owned a camera that has that, but thanks for the clarification, Mark. Perhaps you'll get more responses if I move this into Rico's area? He is the expert on all the Fuji cameras.

You have to use the live histogram.
Or the blinkies in image review along with the review histogram.
Remember all histograms are WYSIWYG JPEG parameter representations.
There is no RAW histogram. Yet. ;)

No. In order to implement such a feature, Fuji would first have to invent WYSIWYG for the DR function. This is a feature I expect for future camera models, so I wouldn't rule out highlight warnings in such cameras. Don't miss Photokina.

HI,
Wondering if there is way to see highlight (blowout) and shadow (plugged) info before taking the image, (usually a color indicator)
You can see blown highlights ( flashing black) when you review the taken image.
I'd like to preview them.
I looked through the menus and couldn't find anything.
It may not be an available feature as the X-A1 is an entry level camera.
btw - is this a feature on other X series cameras
Thanks,
Mark

Since getting my X-A1, I put it in AutoDR and have not had to worry about blown highlights. On my Canons, I've needed to use hacks (CHDK, Magic Lantern) which provide live zebra highlighting so that I could determine (together with the histogram) how much exposure compensation to apply. Of course you could use the histogram alone, but the blinking zebras tell you whether or not you care about the area that will be overexposed.

Back