Fuji Highlight Shadow setting in camera for RAW?

dmward

Regular
I recall an article or post a couple of years ago that described the best setting in camera so that the thumbnail viewed on the LCD would be most similar to what one could expect as the default when importing a RAW file into Lightroom or other software.

I'm thinking similar setting will help with my GFX50s.

Hope someone can remember and either point me to the source or list the settings.

Thanks.

There's a school of thought (that I personally subscribe too) that setting PNS film sim with -2 shadow and highlight set will give you the most raw like histogram to work with whilst shooting, but this isn't the same as LR's default rendering, although this might be fairly close to the std Adobe import profile, which IMHO is quite flat with less contrast than most of the Fuji sims

JPEG settings for RAW shooters are recommended in all of my books and vary between camera models. In all newer models, PNS and minimal contrast (ST -2 & HT -2) are indeed the way to go. It's close to the Adobe Standard import profile, but with less color saturation.

Typically, I assign these settings to the C7 custom preset (and the camera default settings to C1). This makes it easy to quickly switch between "RAW shooter mode" and normal shooting.

Thanks Rico.
This will certainly help.
I did a studio session the Sunday after my GFX50s arrived and since I always have my cameras set for raw capture didn't think about what the LCD would look like. Whatever the default was was way too contrasty and saturated. It made it hard for me to have any realistic idea of what the exposure settings were doing. About all I knew what that the exposure was reasonably close.

I also always have custom camera profiles for my cameras, made with dual laminate color charts. One with the Adobe default tone curve which has a significant bulge in the midtones. And one with a linear tone curve which is a flat image which maximum room for highlight and shadow detail control when processing.

So, the settings are primarily to make the LCD look reasonably close while shooting. And, hopefully to make the highlight blinking a bit more accurate.

Yes. Historically, one would employ the Natural Live View (PREVIEW PIC. EFFECT OFF) for this (in models like the X-T20, X-E2(S) or X-T1), but this doesn't work with newer cameras (all X-Processor Pro cameras and X30 and X100T) that simulate DR settings in the live view and histogram, because these cameras will always display a DR400% live view (no matter what the actual DR settings are) when the Natural Live View is active (aka PREVIEW PIC. EFFECT is OFF). This can of course throw off your exposure metering by up to 2 EV. Hence the recommendation to replace the Natural Live View with our JPEG settings for RAW shooters.

Rico,
I'm not sure what you mean. I have the EVF set so that I can see the model in the studio. That usually means no picture effect so that the camera will brighten the EVF sufficiently to see for composition. Its the review on the LCD that is important to have as close as possible to what I can expect when the raw file is imported into Lightroom. As I said earlier, I have a custom camera profile that is applied during import. Reviewing the LCD on the camera if, in my view, the electronic version of the Polaroid test shots I used to take to confirm lighting, etc. That's why I want something that is close to the DR that is available in the raw file.

I think the setting you suggested is what I need. Its the DR400% stuff that has me confused.

Yes. Historically, one would employ the Natural Live View (PREVIEW PIC. EFFECT OFF) for this (in models like the X-T20, X-E2(S) or X-T1), but this doesn't work with newer cameras (all X-Processor Pro cameras and X30 and X100T) that simulate DR settings in the live view and histogram, because these cameras will always display a DR400% live view (no matter what the actual DR settings are) when the Natural Live View is active (aka PREVIEW PIC. EFFECT is OFF). This can of course throw off your exposure metering by up to 2 EV. Hence the recommendation to replace the Natural Live View with our JPEG settings for RAW shooters.

verstehe Banhof....

Back