Hike to The Block C

Bruce McL

Regular
Yesterday I walked up to the Block C, in the hills above the University of California, Berkeley. The C itself is not much to look at, but the views on the way up and at the top are great.

From where I live it’s a fairly steep climb of around 800 feet. There were many pauses, including this one for a dozen or so wild turkeys.

IMG_1075.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As I climbed higher the view started to unfold. That’s Angel Island just to the right of the tip of the spire of the Campanile. Angel Island is a great place to hike and take photos.

IMG_1092.JPG

This is the spot for watching football for free. It’s known as “Tightwad Hill.”

IMG_1088.JPG

Something was bothering me about the scene on the field. The mighty 112mm zoom of my G1X revealed the source of my discomfort. Here is a heavily cropped version of what I saw:

IMG_1090.JPG

They were playing baseball on the football field! As the son of a football coach, I couldn’t help but notice this. :)

At the top of the hike, with a corner of the Block C in view.

IMG_1097.JPG

The spire of the Campanile between two towers of the Golden Gate Bridge. That’s Alcatraz by the left tower. An, “Oh, what the heck, it’s right in front of me, I might as well get it,” type of photo.

IMG_1083.JPG

The Golden Gate Bridge on the left, and Mt. Tamalpais on the right. This is a “why I like living where I do” kind of photo.

IMG_1084.JPG

Back