Hip surgery

theoldsmithy

Hall of Famer
Name
Martin Connolly
Theatre yesterday... A strange experience as I opted for a spinal block & sedation. I started coming round part way through the op. Couldn't feel a thing but there was lots of hammering going on! The hospital is an orthopaedic centre do it has 11 theatres all going at once. It's a cacophony of surgical noises, machines that go beep, and the many musical choices of the surgeons.
Today I've been trying out the crutches, and I am now completely knackered. However I should be going home tomorrow, remarkably.
Here’s a feel of the hospital room ambience 😊
20190621204310_picture.jpg

That one was using Kultcamera.
IMG_20190621_204045.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That's the scenic view out of my window. Lovely isn't it?

I started coming round part way through the op. Couldn't feel a thing but there was lots of hammering going on
😲 That must have been a bit unnerving.

That's the scenic view out of my window. Lovely isn't it?
Compared to most US hospitals, that were apparently designed by the same people who designed coach class airplane sections with the aesthetics to match, then yes, yes that is a nice view & room. Is that a private room or shared?

😲 That must have been a bit unnerving.

Compared to most US hospitals, that were apparently designed by the same people who designed coach class airplane sections with the aesthetics to match, then yes, yes that is a nice view & room. Is that a private room or shared?
It's a private room, but the operation was done by the NHS. You can pay for a private room in most NHS hospitals, and as I waited less than 3 months for surgery I think I've had the best of both worlds.
I was slightly unnerved for a moment as I came round but it was all a bit hazy and then I realised I really couldn't feel what was going on. I was more concerned that my arm was a bit squashed as I was on my side. The benefit of block/sedation is much faster recovery, and I do feel fine today.

I came too during a surgery to remove screws and a pin from my leg. No pain, but I could feel the screw unscrewing from my bone. Very odd experience. So I can relate.

Very glad that everything went well and you are home.

Back