Micro 4/3 Hitting the town with the GF-1

Ray Sachs

Legend
Name
you should be able to figure it out...
Added a GF-1 body to the bag. Did a quick walk with it this morning, to the farmer's market, around town a bit, and to the "protest corner" where pro and anti something people stand on opposite corners some with peace stuff and some with support the troops stuff and all with American flags. I'm not sure they disagree about much any more, but its still happening every Saturday morning (since the start of the Iraq war) and is a much less pleasant part of town than the farmer's market!

I like the camera. Very responsive and intuitive. Along with the ep2, makes for a great m43 system and the LX-5 rounds things out very well, filling the little guy role the S90 used to fill.

-Ray

View attachment 30898

View attachment 30899

View attachment 30900

View attachment 30901

View attachment 30902

View attachment 30903

View attachment 30904

Ray,
Good stuff. I've been to the West Chester Rally many times. I stopped because I have many friends on both sides of the street.
The GF1 suites you well. How do you find it along side the LX5?

Thanks folks.

Don, relative to the LX-5, I like the similarities in the menus and controls, but I'm fine with the controls and menus on the ep2 as well, so I don't see that as a big deal. Liked the S90 in that regard also. Only the buttons on the epl1 have bothered me since I started back into this racket back in April... In terms of shooting, I'll probably use the LX5 very differently than the gf1. For me, the lx5 is all about two things - first, the versatility of the zoom in a very small package for when you just don't want to carry much and, second, the hyperfocal setup, insane depth of field, and fast reactions for street shooting. The GF1 I'll probably always use with a prime, the 20 for low light, the 17 for lotsa stuff, and the 9-18 (which really functions as two primes the way I use it - its a 9 most of the time and occasionally its an 18 for a quick shot without changing the lens - almost never in between). And even though it did pretty well today in fairly bright light (so I could use a reasonably tight aperture), the LX5 just works better as a street cam in my hands and with my feeble mind wrapped around it.

But gimme a while - I could change my mind after I use 'em both for a few months. :cool:

Those West Chester rallies are pretty interesting. At first it started just as the peace movement doing anti-war rallies. And then a bunch of folks decided to counter that which, rightly or wrongly, came off as pro-Iraq-war more than support the troops. Everyone supports the troops, just different ideas about how to do it - bring 'em home alive or boost their morale by supporting the cause they're fighting for. And it was pretty polarized and ugly for a while. I too would run into folks in both camps I knew - its not a particularly big town! Now I'm just not sure what they're arguing about - I don't really think street protest is the venue for dealing with the finer points of when and how to best wind these wars up. Seems more out of habit than anything else. Much smaller than it used to be at least.

-Ray

Back