Fuji Hold my hand, I'm a special snowflake!

lattiboy

Regular
Hey kids,

(WARNING: Most "first-world problems" ever written ahead)

I've now jumped between practically every system out there. I've built up a stable of lenses that makes the people over at RF Forums a little jealous. I've got so many adapters I just throw them in bags now. I currently have an NEX-5N, which has a sensor as good as anything available.

I realized something: I'm hardly taking any photos.

I have a chance to trade my 5N kit + a lens or two for an X100 (with a delightful member of SC, no less!)

I also just pre-ordered the E-M5, because it looks awesome and I am an impulsive child.

Basic questions:

1) Have you found the X100 can be an "only camera"? I'm not nearly advanced enough to need more than 35mm, to be honest. My favorite combo so far has been the 5N + 25mm snapshot-skopar, but I miss AF.

2) Is the sticky-aperture problem widespread? How is Fuji about repair? Especially if you don't have a warranty/receipt.

3) Are jpeg shots THAT GOOD? I've seen a few that defy belief.

4) Durability? Any known points of failure outside the aperture deal?

5) Is IQ up to snuff with the 5N?

thanks!

I had a C3, waiting for my Nex 7, have some nice Nikon glass and a Sony 55-210. While I'm waiting on the 7, I'm just as happy shooting with my x100 and it could (and is currently) my only camera. No sticky aperture, JPGS are AWESOME, nothing has failed. IQ is as good.
Here's a couple recent pics and my rig...

Great questions to ask before trading!

Have you looked at the X100 shots on Flickr?? That's my research go to place to see what everyday people can do with cameras.

I also think the X100 makes you "interested" in photography again, I know it did that to me :)

I don't do raw so here are a couple of shots JPEG from my X100

6282188481_d6b6ed14e7.jpg

Bright Eyes by mertlee, on Flickr

6110263021_bf7e3e3c11.jpg

A Bee in our garden happily working away :) by mertlee, on Flickr

6105293616_3ca6c7a077.jpg

flowers by mertlee, on Flickr

I love my x100, so much so that I sold off all my DSLR gear. I'm out taking more pictures like I used to when I was shooting film(when that was all that was available)! I've had no sticky aperture blades with mine. The out of camera JPEG's are awesome(I still shoot RAW but I'm just stubborn)! Mine has hit the rocks a couple of times, so far, no issues. I have a Gordy's wrist strap on so I don't drop it, but when the operator has a slip and fall, so does the camera! Thankfully, I have an lcd screen protector and a u.v. filter on just in case. The lcd protector has already been replaced once! I think it could be an "only" camera if you can live with one focal length, however it is a bit on the quirky side. I struggled with it a bit at first, but it now is second nature. For many years I kind of lost interest in taking pictures and was more interested in gear. I collected, sold and traded, but really never did much photography. This camera has me out taking pictures whenever I have a chance, I'm more connected with it and keep it with me all the time. On my last outing, I shot in manual, something I haven't done in a long time. It took more time to set up the shot(I'm never in a hurry anyhow), but it was more satisfying for me than shooting in "auto". I can't comment on the 5N as I have no experience with it.
If you can live with one focal length, this camera is a keeper! I'll probably grab the xPro when one becomes available as I'm missing the versatility of different focal lengths(after selling off my other gear, I'll still be $$$'s ahead of the game), but I'll probably keep the x100 as it feels like an old friend!

Go for it. Really. X100 cured my G.A.S and I'm not even considering the XPro1. The X100 even inspired me to write my first gear review for the website I bought the camera from (I'm way too lazy otherwise).

After several long months of browsing forums and looking for the perfect travel/daily camera, I finally went and bought the X100. I'm a strictly hobbyist photographer, mostly interested in shooting people, streets and buildings. I have previously (and currently) owned the Sony DSC R1 (an APSC sensor, DSLR lookalike, with a 24 - 120mm Carl Zeiss lens, a gorgeous camera but since it was as bulky as a DSLR, I found myself carrying it less and less) and a Panasonic LX5 (which the reviews raved about, 1/6.3" CCD sensor, 24 - 90mm lens, small enough to fit in a jacket pocket, but really bad in-camera JPEG processing which resulted in unusable JPEG images forcing one to shoot RAW/BW most of the time). I have used a number of cameras in the past for varying lengths of time, including DSLRs like the Canon EOS 5D, 7D, Rebel Txi, the Nikon D700, D90, etc, but have never bought any DSLRs because I was pretty sure I wouldn't have carried them out of the house. I guess I don't love photography enough to carry around several kilos of gear, lenses, tripod, etc! That's my meager photographic background, now onto the X100...

Let's talk about the bad stuff first - Be warned! The X100 is a different photographic beast since you can't zoom to compose images. You can't afford to be lazy with this camera. Composing images that with other cameras was just a flick of a button or a twist of the lens, is now an activity that reminds you to enroll for gym class. This camera has terrible battery life and barely gets you through a day of shooting (Fuji says 300 pictures on full charge, but it's more like 250. Buy several batteries, if you're an active shooter). The camera menu is a bit messy, but not as bad as the internets are making it out to be. Troll the nets to find out settings that suit your style of shooting, and stick with it so you don't have to fiddle with the menu systems often. The start-up time is a bit laggy, you can't just turn on the camera and shoot immediately, it takes a few seconds (3-4 seconds) but the start-up time improves exponentially if you format the card in-camera and use a Class 10 SD card. Using the Optical Viewfinder can produce parallax when close to the subject. There have also been lots of complaints about the slow AutoFocus in low light for this camera. It's no better or worse than my Panasonic LX5, just shoot in AF Continous mode and it's fine. Not such a big deal for me. Hmm... those are about all the negatives there are to this camera.

Now onto the good stuff and man are they good - Image quality! Image quality! Image quality! To me this is all that matters and no camera in this size currently produces the kind or results that this camera can produce. Period. If you want similar or better image quality you have to graduate to the Leicas (M9, M9P etc) and to me at 10,000$ and above, for a body and 35mm Summicron lens, this is not even a consideration. The Leica X1 comes close, but this camera beats it by a narrow margin IMO (though I like the Leica JPG engine which renders pictures with a pleasant red overtone, making it warmer than the FUJI, the X1 is more expensive by 800$). The X100 lets you shoot very very usable JPEGs without having to use RAW all the time, and the JPEGs have enough headroom to work with in post. The Straight-out-of-camera JPEGs are... how do I describe it... very film like. Sharp and soft at the same time.

The build quality of this camera is amazing, and Fuji have really put in a lot of time and effort into getting this right. The camera feels like a serious photographic tool, and lends confidence while shooting. The top and bottom parts are dye-cast magnesium alloy which house the controls for shutter speed, exposure compensation and the trigger. The lens has the aperture control, like any proper camera should, and once you know your way around the camera you will rarely look away from the viewfinder while composing a shot.

The hybrid viewfinder is a work of art and magic. Being able to switch between a large bright optical viewfinder like a DSLR camera and then at the flick of a switch have an 1.4 million dot electronic view of your scene is fantastic. To me that's worth the price of the camera itself. Parallax does show up when shooting close with the optical view finder, but Fuji projects a reworked frameline which shows how the image will be finally composed so one get used to recomposing pretty quickly. While shooting focus critical shots in low light, just switch to the EVF and you're good.

The metering and Auto White Balance in the camera is the best I've seen in any camera till date. The average metering works best IMO. Or while shooting portraits, turn to spot metering, point at the cheek of the subject (which is usually blown out) and click. The ISO performance of this camera is outstanding! DXOMark rates the ISO performance on this camera higher than the Nikon D3s till ISO 3200. The low light jpgs straight out of camera at 3200 are actually usable especially for FaceBook size images, though I would frequently restrict the ISO to 1600.

I'd like to end by saying that the most important factor to me, since buying this camera, is that it makes me want to get out there and take more pictures. And that to me is the best 'feature' of this camera. Good luck!

I love my x100, so much so that I sold off all my DSLR gear. I'm out taking more pictures like I used to when I was shooting film(when that was all that was available)! I've had no sticky aperture blades with mine. The out of camera JPEG's are awesome(I still shoot RAW but I'm just stubborn)! Mine has hit the rocks a couple of times, so far, no issues. I have a Gordy's wrist strap on so I don't drop it, but when the operator has a slip and fall, so does the camera! Thankfully, I have an lcd screen protector and a u.v. filter on just in case. The lcd protector has already been replaced once! I think it could be an "only" camera if you can live with one focal length, however it is a bit on the quirky side. I struggled with it a bit at first, but it now is second nature. For many years I kind of lost interest in taking pictures and was more interested in gear. I collected, sold and traded, but really never did much photography. This camera has me out taking pictures whenever I have a chance, I'm more connected with it and keep it with me all the time. On my last outing, I shot in manual, something I haven't done in a long time. It took more time to set up the shot(I'm never in a hurry anyhow), but it was more satisfying for me than shooting in "auto". I can't comment on the 5N as I have no experience with it.
If you can live with one focal length, this camera is a keeper! I'll probably grab the xPro when one becomes available as I'm missing the versatility of different focal lengths(after selling off my other gear, I'll still be $$$'s ahead of the game), but I'll probably keep the x100 as it feels like an old friend!

I've just got my X10 (see other thread) and it feels like a young girlfriend *giggles*

:D

I'll be getting the X100 soon...

Love your honesty mate....we are a little spoiled I think. "Snowflakes"..love it! and Chuck Palahniuk would be so proud. (y)

I'm a snowflake too, and have done my rounds with far too many a camera. But this is not about me, it's about you...

1) Have you found the X100 can be an "only camera"? I'm not nearly advanced enough to need more than 35mm, to be honest. My favorite combo so far has been the 5N + 25mm snapshot-skopar, but I miss AF.
No. There will be times that you will hunger for wider and then for longer...and maybe even macro. But you could take Wolf's advice and complement the X100 with an X10 and then you'd have it almost all. Though I'd say you'd be happy with the X100 for 85% of shots.

2) Is the sticky-aperture problem widespread? How is Fuji about repair? Especially if you don't have a warranty/receipt.
Not sure how prolific the problem is , though it was nice to see Canon and Nikon working together to spread the rumour and make it stick ;) But I hear warranty is not an issue if you are the original purchaser with the original paperwork. Having said that I hear the new 2012 models are unaffected...but not sure why and what changed? Maybe Canon and Nikon have their sights on the new XPro-1 threat now? If you go new there is always the oh-so-sexy black edition.

3) Are jpeg shots THAT GOOD? I've seen a few that defy belief.
I think others have answered this. You will go through the natural "Only I know how to PP my shots" phase. But a week or so shooting RAW+JPEG will show you that the camera does do well with more than 85% of the shots.

4) Durability? Any known points of failure outside the aperture deal?
Have you held an X100? It was the most confidence inspiring camera in-hand bar none. I believe other than the menus (Ray will say more) mechanically it's nice. Oh wait till you put a soft release on it ::cloud-9-039:

5) Is IQ up to snuff with the 5N?
Sony is about the only camera I haven't had :blush: But I can say that with all that I have shot I still am always drawn back to my X100 shots. They are also some of the most faved of mine on Flickr....though the GF1 holds her own very nicely.

I say all of this and yet I sold my X100. I have found happiness with the GF1 and 28/50/90 lens combo. All my needs are covered and the handling is there as is the IQ. So digitally it ticks all my boxes. My issue now is with film. :blush: Funny thing is that the camera with the loudest siren's call (and yet the quietest operation) is the Hexar AF....which is the original X100 ;) So much deja vu. Like the Fuji X100, the Konica Hexar AF was well-loved but there was a strong under-current of the community wanting interchangeable lenses, so the Hexar RF was born. It was courted for a time and was lauded as the best of its day. Fast forward to 2012...and which is in greater demand? Arguably...the AF. Most folks just cannibalised the Hexanon lenses for use on their grandpa's Leica instead and left the RF on the forgotten pile. Let us see what 2032 brings for Fuji.

Best of luck, and I know I've been zero help. But my digiGAS is satiated....

I say all of this and yet I sold my X100. I have found happiness with the GF1 and 28/50/90 lens combo. All my needs are covered and the handling is there as is the IQ. So digitally it ticks all my boxes. My issue now is with film. :blush: Funny thing is that the camera with the loudest siren's call (and yet the quietest operation) is the Hexar AF....which is the original X100 ;) So much deja vu. Like the Fuji X100, the Konica Hexar AF was well-loved but there was a strong under-current of the community wanting interchangeable lenses, so the Hexar RF was born. It was courted for a time and was lauded as the best of its day. Fast forward to 2012...and which is in greater demand? Arguably...the AF. Most folks just cannibalised the Hexanon lenses for use on their grandpa's Leica instead and left the RF on the forgotten pile. Let us see what 2032 brings for Fuji.

Best of luck, and I know I've been zero help. But my digiGAS is satiated....

I have a Black Hexar AF, it is enshrined in a place of honor in my heart and home :)

Wow, thanks for the help guys! I am really leaning towards the X100 now. Need to worry less about gear, more about shooting!

Mate, I have the same problem...
I bought and sold way to much gear lately, but i'm gonna settle for this now

X10 (general shots, backup, macro)
X100 (to buy) (main shots, high iso, indoor)
EPL 2 with 40-150mm (when i need zoom)

It all fits in a small bag and weighs almost nothing compared to DSLR
I also thought about the 45mm and 20mm (great lenses) for the olympus , but I think the x100 can do what those two lenses do...
I will still buy the 60mm olympus macro lens when it comes out though one day

and one day... one day.. the fuji x pro ! :rolleyes:

I should clarify: I picked up an X100 off ebay for $799, mint with case and hood and gordy strap. Couldn't really say no.

I'm going to try it out for a month and decide if I should cancel the E-M5 order. We'll see......

I should clarify: I picked up an X100 off ebay for $799, mint with case and hood and gordy strap. Couldn't really say no.

I'm going to try it out for a month and decide if I should cancel the E-M5 order. We'll see......

I'm curious , as i'm gonna get my x100 soon

Back