Fuji Holster

Name
Chris Mitchell
I have in the past owned the Spider Pro Holster which was brilliant with the D750 & 24-70 combo but I sold it when I moved back to mirrorless as I thought it was probably overkill.
Since then I've tried without success to adapt to using a Peakk Design Capture Clip Pro (my backpack strap doesn't like it!), and I wondered if there were other holster options other than simply going back to the Spider Pro I had before.

I'm a Spider holster guy.....absolutely love it with the X-T10 (in fact have a pin on each camera, and a second "pro" holster that I slip over the other side of my belt if I need both during an indoor shoot).

The only caveat I've found with the Fuji's: when you put the pin in the tripod hole, use something to give it an extra quarter-turn of tightening. I've had pins loosen 3 times if I haven't done that...fortunately, the one time it completely let go, I was kneeling on the floor, so the X-T10 fell onto my leg and I caught it.

Genuine question with regard to these holster designs (and I have the same reservations with sling-type straps) - isn't there a real and increased risk of whacking a camera on your hip against someone or something? I have visions of expensive collisions with door frames, and of turbulent times in crowds. Not sure of the practicality?

Genuine question with regard to these holster designs (and I have the same reservations with sling-type straps) - isn't there a real and increased risk of whacking a camera on your hip against someone or something? I have visions of expensive collisions with door frames, and of turbulent times in crowds. Not sure of the practicality?

Great question, and I can only answer as to how I do it.....anytime I'm walking with the camera on my hip (of late, in a Spider Holster but earlier a sling strap), I hold the camera with my right hand and the lens pointing to the back of my hip. In theaters or at concerts, I am often moving through tight rows between seats and dodging people dancing in the aisles. So my hand never leaves the camera when I'm moving.....and the worst that has happened (and it happens a lot) is I end up with bruised knuckles but the camera is safe.

But ALWAYS make sure your camera -- when on a belt clip (Spider, Peak Design, etc) or sling strap -- is turned with the lens pointing to the back.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Scotty, that's sort of what I thought. My own preference is for a body-hugging bag that the camera can be dropped in. It takes a moment longer, but is a degree safer, I think. ;)

You might look at Cotton Carrier also. I actually have the StrapShot model, though I have never used it. I picked up a Peak Design Capture clip shortly after the StrapShot, and the Capture clip won out for me due to the better versatility. I particularly appreciate the fact that the Capture plate works as an Arca tripod plate so when hiking I can swap between backpack strap and tripod without swapping anything out.

a bit steep, price-wise, considering its limitations on size of camera it can carry. And they don't indicate whether the adapter plate is long enough to put it on if you have a tripod plate (Arca-Swiss or other) on the camera.

But a cool concept.

I've just pulled the trigger on the cheapest one. I want to try it with my GR and X100T. It may be a triumph of style over substance but I'll give it a whirl. I can see how it would work in certain circumstances, particularly under a jacket when a bag or even a pouch would be an encumbrance. My jury is out about the lack of protection, but I'm open-minded.

Will do. I suspect it will be one of those things that will have to be "worked in" particularly if made to tight tolerances. I'm also interested to see how well it copes with a middle-aged "overhang"... ;)

Well, here's an update. The Scarabeus arrived promptly by post from the makers in Germany this morning - and will be on it's way back tomorrow morning. The fundamental issue for me is that it is designed for thicker cameras than mine. It's clearly designed with the Leica M bodies in mind, and particularly the film models. I tried it first on my Ricoh GR then on my X100T; the GR rattled about - it is far too thin. The X100T fitted a little better but was still loose.

In design terms it's a bit odd too. It's extremely well made of heavy gauge steel and will undoubtedly last a lifetime or more. In the hand it feels like a heavy Zippo lighter. The edges are a bit sharp; the bits that are supposed to touch the camera are leather-covered but in effect there is the thinnest sliver of leather between some very hard steel and your rear screen; I would not doubt which would come off worst if someone barged against you.

Then there's the matter of the mount on the camera; it is a simple screw-in 1/4" bolt; there is nothing to stop you overtightening it and wreaking some havoc on your camera or not tightening it enough and have it unscrew in use with obvious and expensive results. That bolt also a) renders the tripod socket useless and b) means that you can't put the camera down flat on a flat surface anymore. One other observation; any wrist strap has nowhere to go other than to dangle, inviting a tangle...

So, back it goes. c'est la vie. If I still had my MP4, M7 or M2 I might have found a use for it but it doesn't play nice with modern cameras.

Back