Home Cooking? Recipes in a time of Quarantine!

William Lewis

All-Pro
Name
William Lewis
BrianS made a comment that we should have a recipie thread and I thought I'd take him up on it.

I have an Instant Pot and a tabletop oven/toaster/air fryer that I do 75% of my cooking in.

Here's a thing I've done of late in the Instant pot.
----------------

1) take a small chunk of pork roast. put a tablespoon or three of oil in the pot's bottom and brown the sides.
2) chunk up a couple of potatoes, an onion & depending on preferences, either chop some carrot or drain a can of corn and add to the pot. Canned beans (green or red or pinto or etc) will work too.

Type One:
3) empty a juice box of apple juice into the pot
4) empty a can of applesauce into the pot
5) open can of pineapple chunks into pot

Type Two
3) Empty can of tomato juice into the pot
4) empty can of tomato sauce into the pot
5) open can of diced tomatoes into the pot

6) add preferred herbs and spices - I like the classics - parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme or Provençal mix.
7) Cook at high pressure for 45 minutes. Let pressure fade on its own.
8) Serve over a bed of rice (I have a rice cooker).

What have you all been making these days?

For anyone near a Trader Joe's, their umami seasoning is terrific stuff. I've been putting it on things like steamed broccoli, any and every meat, even popcorn. But lately when I've been tired after working "essentially" and just cooking a chicken breast for some chicken Caesar salad, I just pat it dry and season thus: sea salt, cracked pepper, umami seasoning and smoked paprika. Olive oil in the pan, sear it on each side, cool off the pan, and cook flipping every four minutes or so until done. Works best in cast iron.

We used to watch the "Generator Rex" series on Friday Nights on the Cartoon Network- set into the future.

One episode of home cooking had Meatloaf made with Mash Potatoes. Ever since that episode- replaced using bread crumbs in Meatloaf and Hamburgers with instant mashed potatoes. You have to get the proportions right to cook on the grill- not too much in the way of Potatoes. So garlic, paprika, curry, ketchup, honey or maple syrup, and maybe some chocolate syrup. Hollow out the center of the mixture in the pan and fill with cheese.
I'm not one that measures ingredients. "Trust the Force" with respect to spices. As the lead heroine of "The Cat Returns" says, it never comes out the same way twice.

For a 'quickie' Instant Pot meal that anybody in the family can do...
  1. At the bottom of the pot put a layer or two of frozen pre-cooked meatballs. I like meatballs so it's usually roughly two layers.
  2. On top of the meatballs pour in a box of pasta. Use either small pasta or break up spaghetti into small pieces. I usually use something like rotini (twists), farfalle (bow ties), or elbows.
  3. On top of the pasta pour in a jar of your favorite marina sauce. Try to get the sauce covering the top of all the pasta.
  4. Using the empty marina sauce jar, fill it about 3/4 with water. At the edge of the inside of the pot pour the water so it gets to the bottom below the pasta to where the meatballs are.
  5. Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes.
  6. When the timer is done turn off the Instant Pot and do a 'quick release' of the pressure. [Reminder: This is something that you likely don't want your kids doing as they could very easily burn themselves on the steam. Make sure you've read the Instant Pot manual on how to safely do a quick release.]
  7. When the steam is released and the pressure pin drops open the lid and stir using a strong ladle. When first opening the lid it will be watery but will thicken as you stir it and as it starts to cool.
This makes a good quickie meal and is good for anybody who has an Instant Pot and doesn't know where to start with it or wants to do something that kids can be involved with. If you follow any Instant Pot recipes, this falls under the "Dump & Push" category since there's no prep work involved, it's literally dump everything in and push the button.

Here's a tasty meal I like to make, which is also pretty easy. It's sort of an omelet, but with the ingredients mixed together and cooked more like a pancake, not folded. Mind you, the ingredients come from my cousin, who grew up in Peru, and this was a dish that their part-time housekeeper would make. It may sound unorthodox but it is really good.

Ingredients: some kind of hot dogs or franks, chopped onion, chopped bell pepper. Sauté these together a little while, then set aside. Beat 2-3 eggs per person. Throw the sautéed ingredients in there, mix, and pour an individual portion into a medium hot skillet sprayed with cooking oil. Cook until the side is done, then you'll need to flip it, but it can be tricky and I am lazy, so I heat another skillet and just overturn skillet 1 into skillet 2 to cook the other side (this also lets me start cooking the next one). When done, serve on top of a big pile of rice (I like jasmine). Then cut green onions to sprinkle on top along with salsa, guacamole, pico de gallo or whatever else (Cuban style black beans are good too).

15 minute, 5 ingredient pasta

Put some water to boil and add dried pasta (i usually go with fusili) and a pinch of salt when boiling, and cook until ready.

Meanwhile, cut a chorizo sausage in 1cm / half inch slices and quarter those slices. Put them in a saute pan on medium-high fire, no oil or butter needed. Cut cherry tomatoes in quarters, about the same quantity as the chorizo. When done cutting those, the chorizo's fat should be starting to liquify in the pan. Add the cherry tomatoes (still no oil or butter needed), and stir around with the chorizo until the tomatoes start collapsing and releasing their juice, which will mix with the chorizo fat. Stir some more, and you're done.

Mix pasta with chorizo / tomato sauce, and add parmazan cheese and some basil. Eat. Marvel at the richness of the sauce.

For some more veggies, make it a 6 ingredient pasta: add some diced zucchini just before the cherry tomatoes.

Here's a tasty meal I like to make, which is also pretty easy. It's sort of an omelet, but with the ingredients mixed together and cooked more like a pancake, not folded. Mind you, the ingredients come from my cousin, who grew up in Peru, and this was a dish that their part-time housekeeper would make. It may sound unorthodox but it is really good.

Ingredients: some kind of hot dogs or franks, chopped onion, chopped bell pepper. Sauté these together a little while, then set aside. Beat 2-3 eggs per person. Throw the sautéed ingredients in there, mix, and pour an individual portion into a medium hot skillet sprayed with cooking oil. Cook until the side is done, then you'll need to flip it, but it can be tricky and I am lazy, so I heat another skillet and just overturn skillet 1 into skillet 2 to cook the other side (this also lets me start cooking the next one). When done, serve on top of a big pile of rice (I like jasmine). Then cut green onions to sprinkle on top along with salsa, guacamole, pico de gallo or whatever else (Cuban style black beans are good too).
Reading this made me think of an Hawaiian Loco Moco which I enjoy. My wife doesn't like beans or too much gravy so just about all versions of a Loco Moco are out for her but the dish you're describing is something she might try. 🍚

IMG_20200419_171025.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
IMG_20200419_170703.jpg

I like to do this with a mixture of legs and wings. Lay out wings and legs in a greased pan. Combine all other ingredients and cover chicken. Cook at 300 for 2-3 hours. I flips the pieces over every 30 minutes and spoon juices over them to keep them moist and make sure they brown evenly. Cooking them slow makes the meat tender.For crispy skin, you go with 90 minutes to 2 hours and then finish them off on a grill.

Sometime we enjoy them on their own like bar food or an appetizer. But they are also great with some rice and steamed or quick stir-fry vegetables for a meal. Feel free to double the recipe if you want leftovers....they reheat great.

I usually mix fresh salad daily. I'm partial to chopped red leaf lettuce, cherry tomatoes, Persian cucumbers, red onions, chopped celery, cilantro and avocados if you have access to them. I then add MCT coconut oils and light amount of dressing of your choice. Majority of my meals are modular with greens, proteins and carbs being the main components. If the meat shortage becomes an issue, I'm ready to go vegetarian/vegan if need be. Since I'm not lifting too heavy right now, other than some body weight exercises, I don't really need meat proteins as much which I prefer when weightlifting. I also have some powdered protein. I can live off that stuff easily in combination with vegetables and even nuts!

Starting last year, I've added MCT coconut oils to my diet when I was eating ketogenic for awhile. Since then, I feel it's helped my immune system quite a bit. In fact my whole family caught the flu last December and they got sick again in January and I was the only one who didn't get sick. I'm a big believer in the coconut being the wonder food!

Afterwards I wash it all down with beer! :D

IMG_20191205_175746211_3.jpg

Last edited:
I'll take a bowl of that if you leave out the cilantro.

And I'll even bring the beer ;)

It's super easy and the cilantro is definitely optional! Sometimes I mix it up with sliced boiled eggs or sliced smoked salmon. I've made it routine now to always add fresh greens to my meals. In fact if I don't eat salad for more than two days, I start to crave it! Also the vegetable section in many grocery stores are still well-stocked and the nutrients and immune boosting components are all there. I've also started to to grow my own lettuce, because I love the stuff so much!

Tonight for dinner I made Filipino chicken adobo with sliced shitake mushrooms, topped with green onions. Also I prepared a combination brown fried rice with diced mussels and a slice of lime. For vegetables I made chopped green salad with red onions, celery, almonds, cherry tomatoes, mixed with MCT coconut oils and light garlic dressing. Side dishes include seasoned squid and napa cabbage kimchi. I'd say this represents how I typically make my meals all in a very modular fashion. Protein, carbohydrates, vegetables and optional side dishes with a little flavor kick! ;)

quarantine_dinner.jpg

So the pantry likes to give out these cans of white meat chicken. It’s not bad, not great but decent quality chunks. I’ve found that if I take a sauce pan, put in the 1 1/2 cups of water and butter that a box of stuffing needs, the chicken and a half can of corn, boil, add the stuffing mix and 5 minutes later I have a decent little one pan casserole.

For some funny reason, the chicken flavored stuffing works best :rofl:

I cook a lot and have many well vetted recipes.

Here's a good one

Lemon Caper Chicken

• Juice of 1 lemon
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 2 shallots, minced
• 1 tablespoon drained capers
• 1 lb. chicken thighs or breasts

Preheat oven to 375

Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil and mustard until thickened.

Fold in shallots and capers.

Crisp chicken in oiled pan over high heat 2-3 minutes on each side.

Pour liquid ingredients over chicken

Place pan in oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

We will eat this with pasta or risotto and a Caesar salad. Very nice.

Super easy comfort chili beans.
My mom used to make this for us all the time.

One can(15oz) chili beans with sauce
One can(15oz) kidney beans
One can(15oz) stewed Italian stewed tomatoes - key for me - gives it a light sweet taste
One half pound ground(or more) - lately using impossible meat < tastes good and easier to digest
Quarter to half diced onion
Fresh garlic
Jalapeno
Taco seasoning - used to use Lawry's chili until my oldest found he's gluten allergic
I also used to throw in some Italian sausage until my wife went vegetarian

I usually make a three-five can batch.

Brown meat and onions
Add to slow cooker or pot
Add beans
Blend tomatoes with taco seasoning or not - my family doesn't like chunked tomatoes
Add garlic and jalapeños - slow cooking will melt it away unless you leave it whole

Heat on medium to near boil then slow the rest of the way

Fresh diced onion and cheddar cheese on top of white short grain rice

Day two or three
Taco boats
Bed of Fritos
Chili and cheese
Bed of lettuce
Ranch dressing and Tapatio

Fresh greens and plenty of water for five days for recovery

Crab cakes:

• 16 ounces crab meat
• 2 eggs
• 4 tbsp mayonnaise
• 1 teaspoon Tony Chachere or other Creole Seasoning
• 1 1/3 teaspoon creole mustard
• 1/4 cup bread crumbs
• 1 1/3 teaspoon chopped parsley

1. Mix all ingredients except crab meat.
2. Gently fold in crab meat.
3. Divide into 6 portions and roll into balls.
4. Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes to firm up
5. Place balls in hot skillet with butter and gently flatten to approximately 1" thick.
6. Cook 2 minutes on each side, flipping gently

Place pan with cakes in 325° oven for 15 minutes to finish cooking.

Meatballs in tomato sauce:

INGREDIENTS:

Meatballs
• 4 tbs minced onion
• 2 tbs parsley flakes
• 3 eggs
• 1 tbs Worcestershire Sauce
• 1 tbs Italian Seasoning
• 3 pounds meatloaf mix (ground beef and pork)
• Bread crumbs as needed (just enough to absorb the liquid, but still moist)

Sauce
• 1 Red bell pepper cut into strips
• 1 Yellow bell pepper cut into strips
• 1 Green bell pepper cut into strips
• 1 Large yellow onion, julienned.
• 5 cloves garlic sliced
• 4 bay leaves
• 1-2 tbs Italian seasoning
• 1 - 6 Ounce can tomato paste
• 2 - 28 ounce cans peeled San Martino tomatoes (Get good quality like Cento)
• 1/2 - 3/4 cup red wine
• Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

INSTRUCTIONS:

Whisk together all the meatball ingredients except the meat and breadcrumbs. Add the meat and gently mix by hand until fully mixed, adding breadcrumbs to absorb the remaining liquids. Weigh out 3 ounce portions and roll into balls.

Brown the meatballs in small batches avoiding overcrowding on a medium to high heat. Be careful to avoid breaking up the meatballs.

Once all the meatballs are browned, pour/wipe out the excess grease. Add a bit of good olive oil and sauté the vegetables until tender, my experience is at least 10 minutes. This will lift the fond from the bottom of the pan to mix with the sauce.

Add the garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes while stirring constantly. Add the tomato paste, mix well and cook over high heat for 3-4 minutes until the paste has loosened and is becoming aromatic. Add the red wine and get everything loose in the pan.

Add the 2 cans of tomatoes breaking the tomatoes up by hand. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, cover and simmer for an hour. At the end of the hour, use an immersion blender to smooth out the sauce to the desired consistency. Check the sauce at this stage for seasoning. It might need a bit more Italian seasoning.

Gently add the meatballs to the sauce and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer, cover and cook for 30-45 minutes until the meatballs are fully cooked.

A few minutes before serving add a generous drizzle of good olive oil and a large handful of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Portion out the pasta, and add a 1/2 cup of sauce to the portion mixing thoroughly to coat the pasta. Plate up the pasta and add sauce and meatballs as desired.

This recipe has no salt, and the sauce needs a decent amount of salt to finish, so add it at the plate.

Back