Home Cooking? Recipes in a time of Quarantine!

Chicken-Mushroom Skillet:

INGREDIENTS:

• 4 (6-oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
• 12 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
• 6 garlic cloves, smashed
• 1/2 cup (4 oz.) dry white wine
• 1 cup unsalted chicken stock
• 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
• Brown-and-wild rice, to suit

Preheat oven to 325F

Sprinkle chicken evenly with pepper and 3/4 teaspoon of the salt. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add chicken. Cook until well browned, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; set aside.

Melt butter in pan over medium-high. Add mushrooms. Cook, undisturbed, 3 minutes. Stir in garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir in wine and stock.

Return chicken to pan, and sprinkle with thyme.

Place skillet in oven for 15-20 minutes, until a thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 165°F.

Sprinkle with parsley.

Serve with rice and lemon wedges.

Last edited:
I'm loving this thread. 😎

Super easy comfort chili beans.
My mom used to make this for us all the time.
Dude, you are so bringing me back to my days of youth. My Mom would make some big pots of chili and then buy some plastic containers from the local deli so that it could be shared with friends & family. As my brother & I got older we branched off into making our own versions and seeing who could outdo the other with how hot we could make it. Unless the top of the head was sweating a bit it wasn't hot. :D Of course now I'm at the point in life where I starting down the other side of the hill and no longer intentionally subject myself to extremely hot foods but still like a good chili, especially now that the cooler days are here in the NE US.

Crab cakes:
Thanks for posting that. :) I'm not a crab fan but my wife is and that recipe seems simple enough for me to try and surprise her. It's been some time since she's had some crab cakes, the last time may have been several years ago when we did a long weekend at Baltimore's Inner Harbor.

Last edited:
Back