HOT - Fuji Mirrorless Leaks...

Yes, it's certainly sounds as though it is going to be a camera that will make many excited. I will have to try hard to either control myself - of course finances may well intervene. In the mean time, I will be very interested on the sidelines watching what the camera ends up being.

This is The Reason I don't care about Nikon one series or NEX.

Look at the pic of the camera from top down. Blow it up to get closer look. It has a 1.4 lens mounted on it! Maybe a 35mm 1.4 on an APS-C sensor????????:eek::eek::eek:

I'd fall over faint if that is what I'm seeing. If the body was <$2,000 I'd sell my Jeep Wrangler to get it!

If it was full frame, I'd just plain lose my marbles.

Fuji -- I'm waitin' on you! Let's see what you got!

When the rumors first started, about when the X100 was released (or maybe sooner), my biggest doubt was whether the hybrid viewfinder on the X100 could possibly be made to work with interchangeable lenses of various focal lengths, and particularly with a zoom. I still have my doubts, although the challenge of a zoom seems far more daunting than making it work with a few prime lenses. It looks like they're at least attempting to go in that direction. If they can pull if off, and the rest of the camera is as good as the X100 and X10 suggest it ought to be, this could be REALLY good!

At which point the challenge turns to making good lenses, and keeping them reasonably small, in an ILC with something like an APS sensor. Can they do it? Sony hasn't managed that trick yet (the 24mm Zeiss the case in point) but claims they're working on it. The key to the small profile of the X100, as I understand it, is that a lot of the lens is buried within the body. I guess that's more doable with a fixed lens than interchangeable lenses, but is this necessarily the case? Couldn't an interchangeable lens system be built with lenses that extend well back into the camera body? I don't know the answer - I'm assuming if it was easy, it would have been done by now. But that's the challenge in terms of my potential interest. I like a lot about Nex, but the m43 lenses (both quality and size) compared to the Nex lenses chased me back to the m43 fold for my 'system' camera. If Fuji can figure that one out and do a good kit of three or four great prime lenses, I could easily see selling a good chunk of m43 gear and going in that direction (although I'd probably keep my epl3 with the 14 and 100-300 for a couple of specific applications).

Who knows about sensor size... Fuji was claiming full frame image quality, but that could easily be a much smaller sensor packed with pixels and perhaps building their EXR technology into all shooting modes??? I don't have a clue, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

-Ray

Exciting news for fuji fans.

-The strongest rumors from what i have read and seen so far today.

opt/elc. viewfinder

18mm
35mm
possiible 60mm

one of them is f1.4

sensor supposedly matches FF performance.

No definite news on lens mount(probable that it's their own though)

1400 dollar body

------------
my opinion

It's probably a Aps-C sensor with EXR(their reasoning for claims of FF quality)

An eq. 28mm, 50mm, 90mm makes a great prime set but i would prefer 24,35,90

Would love for it to be Nikon Fmount compatible, Fuji's lenses would still compete against nikons because nikon has ignored the DX prime market.

With 1400 body and 28mm,50mm lenses an APSc sensor it will be fighting against the Ricoh GXR with its similar modules. It'll be interesting to see how much the lenses cost and how much people value the Fuji viewfinder.

I suppose the OVF part could work with their certain set of lens FL (like 28, 35, 50 and 90 or some such) and you could use the EVF for legacy and zooms. But, given that Fuji was willing to release a fixed lens, single FL compact, it wouldn't surprise me at this point if they released a body with 3 or 4 primes and no zoom. They look like they are targeting a niche (happily the one I'm sitting in :)

Looks like Fuji is playing with a Leica M and redesigning to meet their users.
The OVF merely needs to duplicate the frame lines like the Leica. The zoom could work in a step zoom fashion and thus change frame lines to suit the focal length the lens is at. The sensor could stay APS-C as its great at what it does. This is not a hard camera to build considering they are starting from the X100. The lenses would be easy for them as they've been making great glass for a long time.

Interesting developments coming soon.

I'm taking a guess that if it's an EXR, there will be a large number of MP to allow for about an 8mp level for EXR modes.

However, since large sensors are generally ok for DR, it's probably not going to be in this configuration and have a feature list that will compete with the top-line u4/3 from Panasonic.

And then there will be a new Leica mirrorless system. So sit tight and hold on to your money. Think of a bigger X1 with VF and Leica primes:), maybe the Leica body will also accept m-mount lenses,

Organic??? Will the price increase exponentially vs. non-organic sensors, sort of similar to paying $5 for an "organic" iceberg lettuce at Whole Foods?

@retow - As for the Leica mirrorless, I'd likely have to get a new credit card and sell my kidney to buy another Leica. Hoping the new Fuji will not be priced to compete with Leica!

Back