Hot Metal Pour

krugorg

All-Pro
Name
Kyle Krug
My wife and I decided to road trip a bit north of us to a community arts sculpture garden for their Valentine's Day Hot Metal Pour (very romantic). They had about a dozen artists there working on their projects. It was interesting and we actually kept pretty warm next to the foundry. I think my wife is still expecting a proper Valentine's Day dinner, though.

View attachment 49252

View attachment 49253

View attachment 49254

View attachment 49255

these are superb Kyle in all sorts of ways.
The "frozen in motion" , the colour, the sharpness and depth of field, the detail ...

I wondered how hard you had to work in PP to get (e.g.) the flame, or was this all about how you got the shots in the first place?

these are superb Kyle in all sorts of ways.
The "frozen in motion" , the colour, the sharpness and depth of field, the detail ...

I wondered how hard you had to work in PP to get (e.g.) the flame, or was this all about how you got the shots in the first place?

Thanks, Loupe!

The flames and molten metal were pretty cool on their own. For PP, I just used the 300 movie preset as a base and desaturated everything except for red, orange and yellow.

There are others where other images where the flames were doing even more funky shapes, but I didn't think the compositions were as good.

It was super cool to watch the artists at work, Karen. Unfortunately, we had to take off before we could see most of the molds opened. They had about a dozen artists there and were working over 5 hours. The molds ranged from very small, like tiles, all the way up to the size of a mid-sized dog.

When I was there last year, they had the following metal sculpture on display:

View attachment 49280

Back