Feedback How do I get rid of the "New Post (Flash)" notifications??

ErichH

Veteran
Well, maybe I'm stupid, or just half blind, but is there any way to get rid of the "red little square with a number in it that is on top of the little picture of a flash" at the top of the window representing "What's New"? This number indicates how many new posts and threads that's been posted since I last reset it.

Have looked in my account Preferences without finding anything that will do the trick...

Right now there are only fourteen of them, but the number keeps growing endlessly, and after a while it's getting to be too much for me, and I have to open a new tab to "Mark Forums Read", and it's driving me nuts...

Then, to add insult to injury, after doing this, I have to refresh every fr*gg*n tab, because the old number of 179, or whatever, keeps hanging around...

As I tend to have between five and twenty tabs open to the content I'm interacting with, or just reading, it's seriously annoying.

Please misunderstand me correctly here, it's not that I'm averse to new content, but I really don't need a notification for every new post in every thread.

I'm quite satisfied with the normal "Alerts"
notifications represented by the number in the little red square on top of the little bell symbol...

Please help!
Screenshot_20200805-230104-01.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Disregard the term "FLASH NOTIFICATIONS" in the screenshot above. It's what the arrows are pointing at that I'm talking about!

Last edited:
Been through everything again. Been through the "What's New" menus. Set Filters. Saved Filters. Logged out. Closed all tabs. Logged in.
And yay! Everything is exactly as it was before all this hard, unnecessary work. I'm still being told that I have the option of reading (as I write) four new whatever. I'm going to follow the advice of @drd1135 now. Or maybe just logout. It's the cheapest option. Also I like my Nokia. Maybe I'll login again on an old crappy device, just to get the satisfaction of dropping it from the third floor window...

Wait, that's flashing?!🤔 It should be solid; if you see it flashing, what browser & OS/device is being used? I'll need to check this one out.
It's very solid. I'm referring to the flash symbol representing "What's New". What I'm griping about is the red little square with a number in it that is on top of this flash symbol. I don't want it. It's annoying. I'm referring you back to my earlier posts in this thread about exactly what I'm annoyed about. My browser is Chrome on several different Android devices, OS versions 9 and 10. Btw, thanks for the reply!

EDIT: I've edited the first post to make it more understandable, I hope!

Last edited:
My way out, Eric: as I realized that I've not been using this way to get to the threads that are of interest to me I just ignore it.
Of course I see that the numbers in the red box get higher and higher, but that just can't bother me.

From time to time I click on it to see if there's maybe something that might be interesting and I missed it.
But most of the times when I use it is for another purpose: to see which are the liveliest threads ... those that have the most pages.
Posting in these just makes sure you reach a higher number of other posters.

I have 5043 sitting in my red box!
I'm too OCD, obviously, to live with it. My max level is around two hundred. I can't stand it! Right now I'm sixty six.

I'm thinking of MU-43. No bloody number there. Same base technology.

Obviously, there's no technical obstacle present to not showing this number.

Why not letting us choose, in Preferences, whether we want to display it, or not?

There's a zillion other choices in there. Why not one more? Hide it deep down, if you will! As long as it's there, I'll find it!

If there's some perverse logic behind showing this number, the forum management should know that most users probably would not bother delve into the settings to disable it.

Or, at least, let it be a drop down, like Alerts!

If I, by mistake (presently), click on the *$#@&** thing, it takes over the page I'm viewing at the time, to present me with a million things that I have not asked for.

Then I have to go back to what I was doing, manually...

If I want to know what is New, I'll just give the quick finger flick to the page, to land at the bottom of it. Et voila, there the new stuff is!

For me, personally, it's the only thing that keeps me from using this forum more frequently...

@wee-pics - yup, that's an idea, but I'm not that tactical in my forum use. Thanks anyhow for your suggestion!

@wee-pics - yup, that's an idea, but I'm not that tactical in my forum use. Thanks anyhow for your suggestion!

I wouldn't call it tactics, Eric, as I'm happily posting in small threads with only some six posters that are much fun and some of them with astonishing quality as to the posts (you're in one of these, too).
Sometimes small but nice can be more rewarding than what a friend of mine calls "picture dumps" (I would not use that expression).

My current number in the red box is 2525 (reminds me of that great pop song "In the year 2525 ...")

Last edited:
I wouldn't call it tactics, Eric, as I'm happily posting in small threads with only some six posters that are much fun and some of them with astonishing quality as to the posts (you're in one of these, too).
Sometimes small but nice can be more rewarding than what a friend of mine calls "picture dumps" (I would not use that expression).

My current number in the red box is 2525 (reminds me of that great pop song "In the year 2525 ...)
2525 by Zager & Evans! That's been a while! Great song, correct! I've reset my number. I'm at one...

{Catching up on this thread....}

The "flash" icon is the same as "What's New" menu button when viewed on larger devices. The icon shows up as a standard part of the forum software.

The only difference here is the red number to indicate the number of unread posts; even if the red number was disabled the icon would still show up so if anybody is "accidentally" clicking it the red number wouldn't make a difference, the icon would still be there.

The icon is a actually a lightning bolt from the Font Awesome library. Until the word "flash" was used in this thread I hadn't made the connection that similar icons are used on camera devices for the flash indicator. The "flash" meaning is unintentional, the lightning bolt icon is the stock icon.

The "Alerts" and "What's New" icon are two totally different actions that represent different things and their display is different as well.

There is no option for individually displaying the count, it's either shown to everybody or nobody. The icon itself will always be displayed. I'll keep on eye on this thread to get a feel of the general feedback; if it seems like the majority of our members don't care about the count I'll disable it.

{Catching up on this thread....}

The "flash" icon is the same as "What's New" menu button when viewed on larger devices. The icon shows up as a standard part of the forum software.

The only difference here is the red number to indicate the number of unread posts; even if the red number was disabled the icon would still show up so if anybody is "accidentally" clicking it the red number wouldn't make a difference, the icon would still be there.

The icon is a actually a lightning bolt from the Font Awesome library. Until the word "flash" was used in this thread I hadn't made the connection that similar icons are used on camera devices for the flash indicator. The "flash" meaning is unintentional, the lightning bolt icon is the stock icon.

The "Alerts" and "What's New" icon are two totally different actions that represent different things and their display is different as well.

There is no option for individually displaying the count, it's either shown to everybody or nobody. The icon itself will always be displayed. I'll keep on eye on this thread to get a feel of the general feedback; if it seems like the majority of our members don't care about the count I'll disable it.
Don't mind that icon at all: A flash of lightning!

What's bothering me is the red square with the number.

There's no option in my genetic makeup to "Ignore Details" or "Selective Forgetfulness".

Whether it's a good thing or an annoying trait is up for debate.

Most people I know would probably vote "Annoying Trait"...

Maybe you could put a piece of red cellophane over that part of the screen. That should block the red photons of light from passing through and you will see nothing.

My current number is 5341....I'm going for a high score ;)
Well, as this part of the screen is moving up and down, it's not a viable option. Appreciate your input, though!

Back