Pentax How do you like your Pentax K-5? And please show us some of your photos!

Wow, I'm so embarrassed that I didn't realize the Boston Marathon was today!!!! How cool to have the runners right near by. Obviously this camera handles action photos wonderfully.(y) Beautiful blossoms, too.

Thanks BB and Vince.

Vince, the build quality on the 35/2.4 is okay by me. It's light and plastic with a plastic mount, but the focus ring is reasonably smooth (for an AF lens) and doesn't wobble. It does have some cheap touches like the plastic mount and the way the rim of the front element looks a bit rough. It's acceptable build quality for the price.

Meanwhile as an image maker, the 35/2.4 exceeds expectations. It's a high performing lens, and I prefer the rendering to that of the Nikon 35/1.8.

Thanks Amin. Its good to know that it performs well- I'll definately try one out once I sell the FA31.

I had the Nikon 35/1.8 briefly with a D7000, and I really disliked the rendering of the Nikon. It seemed to give a slight yellow cast and was very soft until stopped down to around f2.8 where it was acceptable. The nikon only seemed sharp around f4 for me.

Vince, I thought the Nikon was sharp at/close to wide open and didn't notice a color cast. I liked it, actually, but I prefer the Pentax.

Pentax K-5 + FA35/2

5614830907_afd2c22f56_b.jpg

Here's one of the first pics with the DA15, F7.1, ISO1600, 1/6

Apparently, the DA15 is famous for the starburst effect.

Not sold on the DA15 yet. For a wide and slow lens, I was expecting more sharpness at the max aperture of F4.

picture.php?albumid=219&pictureid=2063.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here's a photo with the FA35, F2, ISO1600, 1/60.

I really like this lens. Good sharpness and bokeh wide open at F2.

View attachment 35292

Vince, I thought the Nikon was sharp at/close to wide open and didn't notice a color cast. I liked it, actually, but I prefer the Pentax.

Sounds like I got a lemon then :-( when it was sharp it and after removing the yellow cast in LR3 the photos were amazing. Though i prefer pentax kit too, especially as we're spoiled with so many primes :)

Armando - love the strawberry shot, simple but sweet ;-) I really like the DA15 too, though I'm also put off by the sharpness wide open, so I'm thinking of picking up either of the Sigma 10-20mm or the Pentax 12-24mm (though its pricey) - both seem to be sharper but worse distortion wise, and of course weight-wise. But I prefer the idea of having a little zoom at the wide end as I find wide angles rather challenging to master.

I guess you're definately keeping the k-5 now then? I keep thinking of a move back to m4/3 but then I'd miss the APC-S IQ benefit and the whole smaller DOF/easier to get bokeh thing... So i'm hoping pentax will put the insides of a K-5 into a smaller camera - see here: Pentax starts new camera teaser campaign - Photo Rumors

Though m4/3 is getting definately getting some fast glass (FT5) UPDATED: There will be fast m43 lenses and new Four Thirds products too. - 43 Rumors

Amin and the mods - Hmmm... I'm just wondering if we should start a K-5 image thread? Actually, perhaps a small dslr image thread would be better? It'll be less mutually exclusive and perhaps get others involved too

K-5, the best in the bunch!

I've used my K-5 for quite a while now, and am still learning - but sure, it is a joy to use! When I went the DSLR way (a K-x), my wife went the E-PL1 way, then I got a good deal on a K-7, and then bought the K-5. My wife, who has spent more time in darkrooms than I, wasn't impressed by the K-x, or the K-7, but the K-5 won her immediately, so now she's got one for herself. I also have a SFX, a film SLR from Pentax, which is interesting to use, to see how well our lenses perform in full format! I'll upload some photos after returning from vacation, but you can see for yourself at FlickR - I'm Tord55 there :)! Also have K-5 pictures at dpreview and Facebook, by the way! I am Tord S Eriksson there, too!

Yours,

Hello Tord. Long time, no hear. Welcome back. I've never yet made it to Goteborg on my trips to Sweden. I'm told it's a beautiful city. Some day.

That's a fascinating combination of jobs you have. I imagine the bus driving provides huge amounts of raw material for the writing (if it is that kind of writing, of course). Enjoy your vacation.

Great shots Rich!

Haven't made up my mind about it yet. I spent 3 days just using the K-5 during a golf vacation/friend's bday getaway this past weekend. All I used was the K-5 + 18-135. I found the K-5 to be much bigger and heavier than I care for. On the other hand, maybe this wasn't a fair assessment as trying to take photos while also playing golf isn't the best combination of activities to undertake at the same time. This was my first extended extended extended use of the K-5. I haven't looked at the photos yet. Maybe the photos will convince me otherwise. :)

Back