How do you manage your photographs???

Jan 31, 2011
Newcastle, Australia
Sue
I find LR much faster in use than iPhoto, both in processing speed and in the interface. LR was developed for pros processing large numbers of photographs, and it shows.
I'll never be a pro, and I'll never be processing more than a very few at a time. There is a lot I like about LR, but photoshop is my processing choice, ergo, not much point using LR... or is there... ?

Luckypenguin

Hall of Famer
Dec 24, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Nic
I'll never be a pro, and I'll never be processing more than a very few at a time. There is a lot I like about LR, but photoshop is my processing choice, ergo, not much point using LR... or is there... ?
I like Lightroom as a "front end" for file management, raw conversion, and basic edits like cropping, rotating, and distortion correction. If you shoot raw and have the most current version of ACR installed in Photoshop, the raw conversion should be just as capable as Lightroom. However, if your copy of Photoshop is getting old it may not be compatible with the latest ACR.

BillN

Hall of Famer
Aug 25, 2010
S W France
Bill
I’ve just rationalised I hope!
I shoot 90% in RAW
1). Run LR on both iMac and MBP using Catalogue on external hard drive
2). Import into LR Catalogue on external hard drive_1
3). Delete all “duds”
4). Keyword and tag
5). Use smart collections
6). Export (some) smart collections, i.e. 5* bird images from S Africa, as small 800 x 800 jpegs into desktop folders on iMac and copy to Nexus 7, for me and ipad for my wife.
7). Back up Catalogue from external hard drive_1 to external hard drive_2, every other day …….. if I can remember….I have 2 x 1TB small portable drives
8). Back up external hard drive_1 to external hard drive_3, every week
9). Images organised into years, then months and sometimes specific folders ....... I use tags, flags, collections and smart collections for specific groups of images

I use LR for most of my processing with the occasional excursion into Elements and if I am feeling brave into PS

if you use LR - ALWAYS delete images in LR, (as opposed to anywhere else on your computer)

(so far I have not experienced problems with processing speeds between external drives and iMac/MBP)

Pelao

All-Pro
Jul 11, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Stephen
There is much to be said for staying with what you know as long as it is easy and is giving you the output that you desire.

One thing to consider is cost. LR is certainly considerably less expensive.

A lot depends on what you do in your editing. For most people, LR, perhaps with a few plugins, is more than capable. It's like a lot of things though; it takes a little time to understand it. If you have access to a Library, borrow Scott Kelby's LR book. It takes you through a flow step by step. More and more photographers are spending almost no time in PS. It does do some things differently, some better, and it does some things LR cannot - but most users barely notice.

All that said it may be wise not to change too much. Be comfortable with what you use. I suspect it is too easy to get anxious about these things. Make sure your photos are organized and backed up. After that, edit with what makes you happy.

BillN

Hall of Famer
Aug 25, 2010
S W France
Bill
There is much to be said for staying with what you know as long as it is easy and is giving you the output that you desire.

One thing to consider is cost. LR is certainly considerably less expensive.

A lot depends on what you do in your editing. For most people, LR, perhaps with a few plugins, is more than capable. It's like a lot of things though; it takes a little time to understand it. If you have access to a Library, borrow Scott Kelby's LR book. It takes you through a flow step by step. More and more photographers are spending almost no time in PS. It does do some things differently, some better, and it does some things LR cannot - but most users barely notice.

All that said it may be wise not to change too much. Be comfortable with what you use. I suspect it is too easy to get anxious about these things. Make sure your photos are organized and backed up. After that, edit with what makes you happy.
PS has lost me over the years .... it started off being complicated but now it is a maze, (to me anyway) - unless you are a pro and use it all the time with the very latest in hardware it is really tiring
Elements is good for what I need that LR does not have ....... and in the UK it is only £50 .... a steal at that price

wt21

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2010
I really don't know how to work with layers, so even elements leaves me cold. I have used elements for some of it's photo merge tricks, but I find even elements complicated compared to LR. But, then I see sometimes videos from users doing cool tricks with layer blending and I think "I should take a class in that" but then never do.

Jan 31, 2011
Newcastle, Australia
Sue
Perhaps it would be wise to do as suggested. I can't afford to u/g Photoshop again, but as you, Pelao, point out, LR is a *lot* cheaper. I know nearly all I do in PS is also doable in LR. I'm actually more willing to consider it right now, as I have got rid of the thousands of dupes (yes, there were about 10,000 which were duplicates or even triplicates of the originals) so bringing it all into LR might (now) be the better option. One tool instead of two? possibly. I'll see if the library has the book you refer to.

I am backing up my iPhoto library as I type, and will reconsider once thats done.

Hi Gary, I have 3. As for the rest, yes, I am aware of the various capabilities of each program, but have decided that I do not want to edit in LR, nor Aperture. So if I am *only* using iPhoto to store the photographs and to keep them in some kind of manageable order, I can't see the point of using something like either of those more comprehensive tools, just for storage. I have been using Photoshop since CS2 on the Mac, and find no effort in using the tools it provides. I can drive it well enough for my purposes...
I understand. I never really got into ps.. But for those who have, I know that it is a great tool.

Gary

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom