Fuji How I'm shooting on vacation

Bobby T

Out Of Nowhere
While on vacation, I have the main camera I'm shooting with set to shoot raw to one card, jpg to the other card. The jpg is set up to shoot in Acros B&W at 1:1. I can't even see on the camera what the color raw files look like. It will be fun, like developing film in the old days, to see how the wider raw files turn out. Also I'm shooting everything using the optical viewfinder for composition. So far, its been a lot of fun shooting this way.

Self-imposed limitations can be a lot of fun, and can break you out of a rut. One of the first really interesting ideas I've read on petapixel in a long time is a guy talking about how much he's done with film, (everyone loves to argue about film), but he says (paraphrased) "if you want to limit how many shots you can take, to make you consider each shot more, then shoot with a small card." He shoots a digital Nikon full frame camera, so his 4 gig card gives him about 120 files, period.

Although I am still shooting in RAW, I do like to get as much done in camera as possible so processing is kept to a minimum, but one of the biggest things I have done is gone back to basics. I treat all shoots as if I was shooting film, I only take what I need and I consider and work out every shot. The result isn't just the advantage of less processing, but I have found that I am making more considered decision and concentrating on the composition and the content far more. It is really just discipline. I also find that having a battery life of 350 shots approx (rather than the 700 i had on the nikon) concentrates my work ethic also. If I know I have only 700 shots maximum on two batteries, I also know that I have to make more shots count. Rarely now do I shoot more than 50 images in a day anymore unless its an event.

Back