Fuji How many cameras have you sold for Fuji?

KillRamsey

Hall of Famer
Name
Kyle
I got to thinking last night, as yet another friend who had borrowed one of my cameras wrote me to ask which exact one he should buy (not if he should... he was sold, I swear I didn't even encourage him). For the record, I steered him towards the XE1 and 18-55, because at $700 new, that's the bargain of the moment bar none. But back to my point...

How many times have you been an unofficial Fujifilm salesperson?

My current list:

1. Friend Brian, got an XE1 / 18-55 / 27. I didn't do much work there, but he did borrow the X100 a few times to be sure.
2. Chris, who bought a used X100 and still uses / loves it two years on.
3. Coworker Zuouw, who bought an XM1 and 16-50, and has struggled to get used to it, but likes it when he does use it.
4. Ryan, a friend from another state who likes my shots online (and those of his wife, who is a pro who dabbles with Fuji but mostly still uses Canon full frames), and who just got an X100T.
5. Tom, the guy above, on a bike as we speak to go pick up an XE1 and 18-55 from a local shop.
6. Stacey, who wanted to finally upgrade from phone cameras, so she picked up an X100S after I talked her down from DSLR Land -- and who has gotten so good with it she's being featured in a local gallery.

I would say I deserve a commission, but the things sell themselves. Or, they sell themselves in concert with the generally ill-handling competition.

I've only been using fuji for under 2 months , a Friend in Ottawa was swayed by my comments and the flickr feed and went out and bought an XT1 w/ 18-135 and 35 1.4. He's a longtime Leica and Nikon guy.

Hey KillRamsey! What should i buy? LoL! I'm looking at the x100t and almost ordered it yesterday. With the extra battery, adapter ring/lens hood, sdxc memory card. Then i priced out the xe2 with extra battery, 35mm lens, same sdxc u3 class 10 uhs-1 card for same price. What to do??!!?? :/ I've been researching the x series for months now every minute of the day, I'm not kidding! I'm losing out on shutter time!
H.E.L.P...

The thing to understand when comparing the X100(T or S, whatever) against anything interchangeable is to grapple with the completely different philosophy of owning each. They are completely and totally different KINDS of tools. With the X100, you've committed to 1 lens, one setup. That comes with pluses and minuses.

X100T Pluses:
- Much shorter decision process as you grab the camera to take a shot. No second-guessing what lens to use, just grab it and shoot.
- You quickly memorize the "foot zoom" distances, since it's always the same lens length. You know how far away to stand to get the framing you're picturing in your head. As you walk up to your subject, you know where to stop.
- Size... so small, so silent. It looks downright cute, much more so than any interchangeable lens X cam with the 23 or 35 on it. That has a pronounced effect on most human subjects. So if you shoot candids of people, it's a big plus.
- Leaf shutter if you're a flash guy. That means a god-like fast sync speed compared to anything with a traditional focal plane shutter. If you don't use flash, ignore.
- Your wallet will thank you, because you won't ever buy any of those juicey XF lenses. At most, the two add-on adapters, which are cheap by comparison.
- Everything about the X100T is just ... "right." Rarely has a single camera clicked together so well, everything working in harmony. As a static object caught in time, it's very compelling.

X100T minuses:
- 35mm equivalent lens, period, unless you carry and use the adapters. They'll add 28 and 50 equivalent to the table, but nothing longer or wider. I shot for over 2 years on the just the X100, and probably wished for other lengths about 25% of the time. Knowing if this will be a problem for you depends 100% on knowing YOU. It's probably the most flexible single focal length for most people, hence Fuji picking it, but...
- f2 is pretty fast, but the primes tend to be a stop faster at f1.4. So if you're a low-light person primarily (or often), the primes are a little bit better. Not much, but a little.
- Concerts, sports, wildlife... all more or less "not really doable," with some exceptions. You gotta get in close.

The X100 series is a slimmed-down stealth weapon. It's a completely different kind of shooting... you've voluntarily limited yourself on a few key aspects, and in exchange you have this cleaner, purer, simpler shooting experience. The cameras are really very little like each other, in being used. VERY.

I should also say that if you're at the stage where you're a hobbyist who wants to learn a lot more about photography (composition, exposure, building up to being able to shoot comfortably in full-manual, and the social / psychological aspects of shooting) then the X100T is probably a better tool for that, in my opinion. If you force yourself to work with one lens, period, then you can't duck and doge the issues. You can't miss the shot because you were digging through your bigger bag looking for that 56 f1.2 lens because the shot might have been a little better with it. The X100T is a doctor's prescription that says "shut up, quit stalling, and go get some images." As you spend more and more time with it, you begin to figure what tricks it excels at, and you maximize those tricks.

The whole resulting path of having the XE2 and a lens (which WILL become several lenses in frighteningly short order) is completely different. It's more complex, it's a steeper learning curve, it has more variables, and it eventually has more cost. It also has more possibilities, but until you get YOU out of the way -- until you stop being the weakest link -- then you won't get very many of those possibly amazing shots, except by luck. The X100T tends to be a quicker route, in my experience, to getting yourself to a place where you're best able to exploit an XE2 or an XT1. I started on the X100 because my wife got it for me out of the blue. I had no idea what the hell it was. I only upgraded after 2 years, and I'm still learning every week.

The thing to understand when comparing the X100(T or S, whatever) against anything interchangeable is to grapple with the completely different philosophy of owning each. They are completely and totally different KINDS of tools. With the X100, you've committed to 1 lens, one setup. That comes with pluses and minuses.

X100T Pluses:
- Much shorter decision process as you grab the camera to take a shot. No second-guessing what lens to use, just grab it and shoot.
- You quickly memorize the "foot zoom" distances, since it's always the same lens length. You know how far away to stand to get the framing you're picturing in your head. As you walk up to your subject, you know where to stop.
- Size... so small, so silent. It looks downright cute, much more so than any interchangeable lens X cam with the 23 or 35 on it. That has a pronounced effect on most human subjects. So if you shoot candids of people, it's a big plus.
- Leaf shutter if you're a flash guy. That means a god-like fast sync speed compared to anything with a traditional focal plane shutter. If you don't use flash, ignore.
- Your wallet will thank you, because you won't ever buy any of those juicey XF lenses. At most, the two add-on adapters, which are cheap by comparison.
- Everything about the X100T is just ... "right." Rarely has a single camera clicked together so well, everything working in harmony. As a static object caught in time, it's very compelling.

X100T minuses:
- 35mm equivalent lens, period, unless you carry and use the adapters. They'll add 28 and 50 equivalent to the table, but nothing longer or wider. I shot for over 2 years on the just the X100, and probably wished for other lengths about 25% of the time. Knowing if this will be a problem for you depends 100% on knowing YOU. It's probably the most flexible single focal length for most people, hence Fuji picking it, but...
- f2 is pretty fast, but the primes tend to be a stop faster at f1.4. So if you're a low-light person primarily (or often), the primes are a little bit better. Not much, but a little.
- Concerts, sports, wildlife... all more or less "not really doable," with some exceptions. You gotta get in close.

The X100 series is a slimmed-down stealth weapon. It's a completely different kind of shooting... you've voluntarily limited yourself on a few key aspects, and in exchange you have this cleaner, purer, simpler shooting experience. The cameras are really very little like each other, in being used. VERY.

Thx! I understand what you are saying. I was just looking at it as a value and performance standpoint.
With the supposed new xpro1 coming our way i would have a lens if i purchased the xe2 ready for the new xpro1. On the other hand if i decide to go withe the xe2 route, i think the new xpro1 will be to similar to the xe2.
The more i think about this, the x100t would be a nice addition to the new supposed xpro1 down the road. I like the fact that having to limit yourself to a fixed lens is a good thing. And who knows, by the time the new xpro1 s or ii comes out an updated 35mm will be available.
I will let you know on what i decide. As my signature says... and more and more the x100t is becoming more pleasing every moment because of the fact that the lens won't be protruding out of the body.
Im thinking SILVER, small, 23mm f2 right now! ;)
Thanks

I got to thinking last night, as yet another friend who had borrowed one of my cameras wrote me to ask which exact one he should buy (not if he should... he was sold, I swear I didn't even encourage him). For the record, I steered him towards the XE1 and 18-55, because at $700 new, that's the bargain of the moment bar none. But back to my point...

How many times have you been an unofficial Fujifilm salesperson?

My current list:

1. Friend Brian, got an XE1 / 18-55 / 27. I didn't do much work there, but he did borrow the X100 a few times to be sure.
2. Chris, who bought a used X100 and still uses / loves it two years on.
3. Coworker Zuouw, who bought an XM1 and 16-50, and has struggled to get used to it, but likes it when he does use it.
4. Ryan, a friend from another state who likes my shots online (and those of his wife, who is a pro who dabbles with Fuji but mostly still uses Canon full frames), and who just got an X100T.
5. Tom, the guy above, on a bike as we speak to go pick up an XE1 and 18-55 from a local shop.
6. Stacey, who wanted to finally upgrade from phone cameras, so she picked up an X100S after I talked her down from DSLR Land -- and who has gotten so good with it she's being featured in a local gallery.

I would say I deserve a commission, but the things sell themselves. Or, they sell themselves in concert with the generally ill-handling competition.

I plug the Fuji brand constantly. I carry a Nexus 7 tablet with me as often as I do my wallet with hundreds of photos I've taken with my two X-E 1 cameras and 5 lenses. My photography student took my advice and bought an X-E1 and now has 3 lenses. In 6 months of training she is already shooting bands at local nightclubs and cafes in Portland, OR. I also have a photographer friend I see at the Oregon Zoo that has Canon DSLR gear that has purchased an X-E1 and a couple of lenses. People are forever asking which camera to buy. I show them my gear and photos taken with it and they write down the camera model. I give them the link to B&H Camera online and send them happily on their way.

Another friend went for the XT1 and 18-55. He's been shooting a lot, asking for advice on the images, discussing it all over beer, etc. He also used to shoot a Minolta X370 and 50mm f1.7 lens combo in the 80's, same as I did. So he's got some experience, but it was a while ago.

Back