Fuji How much do you like your XF1?

eyalg

I had the XF1 for review, and found it much less exciting than my X10.
True, it has many of the same features, minus the large aperture and plus the compact size,
but in the mix of it, it seems that some pazaz, mojo, call it what you will, was lost.
Does anyone share these feelings?

Thanks,
-eyalg

I /did/ get one for my wife, honestly. (After I wounded her S95.)
I am pleasantly surprised with it. The JPGs are great. I typically shoot raw and underexpose by 2/3 EI with my cameras but I'm very pleased with the FX1 JPGs in fully EXR mode. She has a great eye and knows decent images but often doesn't have the time to spend tweaking the exposure and overriding the camera [it's her travel camera.] I think it's an excellent fit for her.
And it's certainly handsome.

I'm tempted to get a XF1, because of its good looks. I'm leaning towards the brown though. But if I get the brown, it'll be a dead give away that I bought it for myself and not for my wife (who prefers the "pimp-red")!

The going street price for the XF-1 seems to be $395 in the U.S. Is this still MSRP?

Yes. Either that or $399. Saw an used one at BH for $319. Would love to see the price for new ones drop to sub $300. I finally played with one at Best Buy, and it was a nice little camera. The fake leather really needs to have more texture though.

I'm tempted to get a XF1, because of its good looks. I'm leaning towards the brown though. But if I get the brown, it'll be a dead give away that I bought it for myself and not for my wife (who prefers the "pimp-red")!

I would have bought a black one for myself, but Fuji sent me the pimp camera, obviously as a little side joke. I have to admit it has grown to me, as other people keep saying that the pimp-red camera suits me very well. I am just not really sure whether this is a good thing or not. ;)

Just tell folks you are metro sexual. And hence the red XF1. You are a confident renaissance man up with the times!

The XF1 seems to be a true carry anywhere camera. Wondering if Fuji can keep the package the same size, but give us something a bit faster on the long end. Wouldn't even mind less zoom at the long end in order to keep aperture at sub 3.

Rico, is there much distortion when shooting at 25mm?

I ran into a guy at Best Buy, and he said he was thinking of getting the XF1 because it was nice and slim while packing the same relatively large sensor from the X10. I said I was a kind of authority about these things and was sure it wasn't the same sensor, blah blah blah, only to come home and find that it was :doh:. Felt really bad about that and embarrassed too :blush:. If that guy is reading here, sorry about that!

LOL!! Authority eh? Did you tell him you have a "radio" show about photography? So did he not buy it because of you? Awesome story. He could have been shooting some nice photos of the snow today with his XF1. But alas ... :)

I ran into a guy at Best Buy, and he said he was thinking of getting the XF1 because it was nice and slim while packing the same relatively large sensor from the X10. I said I was a kind of authority about these things and was sure it wasn't the same sensor, blah blah blah, only to come home and find that it was :doh:. Felt really bad about that and embarrassed too :blush:. If that guy is reading here, sorry about that!

Oh lord that's funny. On the rare occasion I ever claim to be an authority on anything (which, believe me, doesn't happen much!), I make sure to pronounce it like the kids on South Park - "authori-TAY". Leaves me kind of an out if I get something badly wrong. Nobody should be listening to anyone who's an authori-TAY anyhow!

-Ray

They are sharp looking. I will consider a black one for the girlfriend when the price drops some, and after I have my XE1 and X20.

Oh lord that's funny. On the rare occasion I ever claim to be an authority on anything (which, believe me, doesn't happen much!), I make sure to pronounce it like the kids on South Park - "authori-TAY". Leaves me kind of an out if I get something badly wrong. Nobody should be listening to anyone who's an authori-TAY anyhow!

-Ray

It's not like I go around calling myself an authority either. This is probably the only time I've ever gone there, and there definitely won't be another!

Back