Fuji How much do you like your XF1?

Hi Chipbutty. By 'Matrix' do you mean 'Multi'? I had a look through some older X10 images and found this OOC JPEG that has roughly the same sky ratio. It's an aperture priority 12MP image with auto exposure with 'Multi' metering and no exposure correction. The exposure is what I would expect. What's a little scary about your shot is that the your daughter and landscape are underexposed and the sky is blown out. Does the XF-1 have the built in RAW converter? If so it's probably the only way of dealing with those pesky EXR sensor raw images. Phil

Attachments

• DSCF6332.jpg
    DSCF6332.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 298
Very nice Phil. Yes, sorry, by Matrix I mean Multi.

I now know with the XF1 that I would have to be very careful with the kind of shot you posted. Literally one millimetre of movement of the camera up or down is enough to completely underexpose the image and blowout the sky. That's the curious thing, as you can see in the underexposed pic I posted the foreground is massively underexposed and sky is blown. I took that RAF file into Lightroom and indeed the sky was completely blown, just a tiny bit of blue sky was salvagable. Of course the foreground was easily fixed though noise was obviously introduced. I'll try converting this pic in camera with the Raw Converter and see how I get on and report back.

Here are a few from today all shot in Raw (except the sign) and a quick conversion in Lightroom. The pics of my daughter are with face recognition on. If FR isn't switched on for scenes like this with lots of sky then I would get the usual 2 stop underexposed image. Disappointing but it is workable.

How do these look? I don't know what to expect as I've never had a X10 and so far have little faith in the XF1! At least face recognition has come to the rescue.

i-ftqSF9z-XL.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Believe it or not face recognition worked on this shot ensuring I got a decent exposure.

i-62cc4qT-XL.jpg

i-Nt6kZBB-XL.jpg

Went to pick up a prescription and took the XF1. It was pretty dark and the noise really wasn't too bad!

i-pcHQQZH-XL.jpg

1/15 f4.9 ISO 1600

i-pVg4Mq2-XL.jpg

1/8 f4.5 ISO 1600

i-fRxsTvW-XL.jpg

Hi Chipbutty. By 'Matrix' do you mean 'Multi'? I had a look through some older X10 images and found this OOC JPEG that has roughly the same sky ratio. It's an aperture priority 12MP image with auto exposure with 'Multi' metering and no exposure correction. The exposure is what I would expect. What's a little scary about your shot is that the your daughter and landscape are underexposed and the sky is blown out. Does the XF-1 have the built in RAW converter? If so it's probably the only way of dealing with those pesky EXR sensor raw images. Phil

Something just occurred to me - apologies if this isn't relevant. Are you just seeing this in RAW? I ask because my understanding is that Lightroom and the other editors will only deal with the 12MP 'HR' files correctly. The 6MP 'SN' and 'DR' images are made up of two separate 6MP images that the sensor merges into one to either create less noise in low light situations or to increase the DR without having to raise base ISO - with these images I believe Lightroom, Aperture etc will only see one of those two contributing 6MP images and therefore the result is bad. This is the reason why the in camera raw conversion is the only real way to deal with these files. You'll see a lot of info on this if you google 'X10 RAW images' and I think Rico has written at length about this somewhere on this site.

Yes I must've spent two days reading about the EXR sensor including Rico's stuff and various others! The underexposure occurs in all modes and variations. 12mp or 6mp, Raw or JPEG, it makes no difference sadly.

Something just occurred to me - apologies if this isn't relevant. Are you just seeing this in RAW? I ask because my understanding is that Lightroom and the other editors will only deal with the 12MP 'HR' files correctly. The 6MP 'SN' and 'DR' images are made up of two separate 6MP images that the sensor merges into one to either create less noise in low light situations or to increase the DR without having to raise base ISO - with these images I believe Lightroom, Aperture etc will only see one of those two contributing 6MP images and therefore the result is bad. This is the reason why the in camera raw conversion is the only real way to deal with these files. You'll see a lot of info on this if you google 'X10 RAW images' and I think Rico has written at length about this somewhere on this site.

Okay, well I guess the only options are to use face detection or spot metering or try another camera. I was originally looking for a jeans pocket camera and got thrown off track by the X10 and X100.

Well this is the second XF1 I've had and both have exhibited the same behaviour. I can only think this is how they behave. What are the odds of getting two faulty XF1s with the same fault? I suppose it can happen. I read an owner review earlier who gave it 1/5 and complained of the same issue! As you say face detection and spot metering may have to be used. Perhaps I'll see if I can return it for a replacement. If I see the same behaviour again then we can certainly say that it's in the XF1's DNA. Image quality seems ok otherwise.

It is nice to pick up my X100 and not have to concern myself with any of this stuff :)

Okay, well I guess the only options are to use face detection or spot metering or try another camera. I was originally looking for a jeans pocket camera and got thrown off track by the X10 and X100.

Given your last two images, I would be inclined to keep it. They look pretty good to me. It's a shame that the EXR raw files are not properly recognised because with that the XF-1 and X10 would be great instead of nearly great.

I'd still like a small pocket camera and cost/performance ratio is always an issue to me. The RX100 has, I think, the right balance but I really didn't like how it felt in the hand - it didn't feel any nicer than photographing with an iPhone. This is where the Fuji's really work, I think, they feel like precision machines rather than a box of electronics.

Yes I wouldn't have persisted with a second XF1 if it didn't feel so nice to hold and operate. The size is perfect for a compact, not too small and not too big. It feels very secure in my hand.

Given your last two images, I would be inclined to keep it. They look pretty good to me. It's a shame that the EXR raw files are not properly recognised because with that the XF-1 and X10 would be great instead of nearly great.

I'd still like a small pocket camera and cost/performance ratio is always an issue to me. The RX100 has, I think, the right balance but I really didn't like how it felt in the hand - it didn't feel any nicer than photographing with an iPhone. This is where the Fuji's really work, I think, they feel like precision machines rather than a box of electronics.

I got one when they were selling for $199 and liked it more than I expected to, but ultimately the lack of an eye level viewfinder and the slower lens caused me to sell it (for what I paid for it) and to get another X10, a camera I just "bonded" with.

The images out of the XF1 were excellent, though. I have no argument with it on that score, and if I really needed something pocketable I would not hesitate to get one. It's very good - and handsome too! - just not operationally quite to my taste.

Lovely shots Darren. I'll have to try that setting.

Nearly bought the G5 the other day. Argos are doing the body for £230 but I got a great deal on a brand new G6 for £250.

This one doesn't look right. Care to share the RAW with me?

Unfortunately I only photographed this picture in Jpeg and looking at the settings in LR, I probably just hit the auto button for exposure and just lowered the highlights and lifted the shadows more. the settings in LR4 are:
Exposure -0.55, contrast -8, Highlight -64, Shadow +57, Whites +20, Blacks +1, Clarity+31. I did not touch the sharpening tool on this photo.

I have also noticed something not quite right since you have mentioned it, whether it is the same what you are seeing could be another matter.

Here's the link of the original photo Dropbox - Error

Unfortunately I only photographed this picture in Jpeg and looking at the settings in LR, I probably just hit the auto button for exposure and just lowered the highlights and lifted the shadows more. the settings in LR4 are:
Exposure -0.55, contrast -8, Highlight -64, Shadow +57, Whites +20, Blacks +1, Clarity+31. I did not touch the sharpening tool on this photo.

I have also noticed something not quite right since you have mentioned it, whether it is the same what you are seeing could be another matter.

Here's the link of the original photo Dropbox - Error

The original JPEG looks okay.

Apparently Amazon had one of those silly short term deals the other week. They had the G6 14-140mm kit lens with close to £200 off. It seems people were buying the kit just for the lens as it worked out cheaper. So lots of G6 bodies have been coming up on Ebay. I'm assuming that's why they've been going so cheaply.

£250 for a G6??!! :eek: That's a good deal if I ever saw one :cool:

I did see those deals the other week, it seems to be a great time to be into photography.
It was dull and wet today where I live and we popped out in between showers.
This is what I love about this camera, just put in in your pocket everytime no matter what the weather.
We weren't out for long, but I manage to grab a few shots.

11755843674_2fa09bc00e_b.jpg

Black Backed Gull by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

11756324696_eb9a07047a_b.jpg

Surfer by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

Back