How NOT to clean a Lens

BruceRH

Top Veteran
So I was in a rush and threw my shorts in the wash with a bunch of other clothes last week. When I put the clothes in the dryer...oh oh. I felt a lump in my shorts pocket that I had worn the night before. Yep, it was my TTArtisan 28mm f5.6, and don't judge, it is easy to do since it is so small and pocketable. Well, it was full of water, in fact it looked like a mini front loading washing machine! :ROFLMAO:

Thankfully I bought it used at a great price so I was not too upset. I set it out in the sun to try and get some solar heat going, aiming the lens towards the sun. That night most of the water was gone so I put it in a plastic container with rice for a few days. It seems to be none the worse for wear! I don't see any marks or water spots. Today I took a few shots with it and my Voigtlander 28/2 to compare. I honestly can't tell much of a difference between the two images. I do love the TTArtisan, it is sharp and renders nicely with a solid build. I guess the only con I have is that it is not weather sealed :LOL:

Anyway, don't do what I did, use a lens cloth instead! :)
IMG_5985.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
IMG_5984.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So I was in a rush and threw my shorts in the wash with a bunch of other clothes last week. When I put the clothes in the dryer...oh oh. I felt a lump in my shorts pocket that I had worn the night before. Yep, it was my TTArtisan 28mm f5.6, and don't judge, it is easy to do since it is so small and pocketable. Well, it was full of water, in fact it looked like a mini front loading washing machine! :ROFLMAO:

Thankfully I bought it used at a great price so I was not too upset. I set it out in the sun to try and get some solar heat going, aiming the lens towards the sun. That night most of the water was gone so I put it in a plastic container with rice for a few days. It seems to be none the worse for wear! I don't see any marks or water spots. Today I took a few shots with it and my Voigtlander 28/2 to compare. I honestly can't tell much of a difference between the two images. I do love the TTArtisan, it is sharp and renders nicely with a solid build. I guess the only con I have is that it is not weather sealed :LOL:

Anyway, don't do what I did, use a lens cloth instead! :) View attachment 346522View attachment 346523
Laughing with you, Bruce; not at you.

Glad that you had a good outcome. I hope that the detergent hasn't buggered anything up inside.

Back