Straps How to carry a Camera

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
I have another Disney World trip coming and I plan to take the Fuji XH1 and XE3. The former will be for the long lens (55-230) at the Animal Kingdom park and the latter (27/35) for everything else. I normally use a camera bag but I'm wondering if a strap might be a better alternative. It just takes too long to keep getting the damn thing out of the bag. I don't usually miss shots but it makes taking a picture a great and more wife-annoying pause. I know it's my preference but you folks often have interesting insights into the problem.

I've done one body around the neck and the other in hand or the pocket before, I find digital cameras don't respond well to knocking against each other if more than one of them are hanging around your neck. Also, ouch.

I use Black Rapid dual straps all the time. Cotton Carrier system when I need to be more active or the cameras need to be more secured to my person.
Switching between cameras is quicker with the BR straps, but the Cotton Carrier system is more secure.

I've not used a neck strap since 2008.

I then use a smaller bag to have any additional lenses, memory cards and batteries. I transport the cameras in the car in a bigger bag, but leave that bag in the trunk.

Last time I was in Disney, I still owned the Nikon D50 and Tamron 28-200mm lens and that was the only thing I took. Oh, how things have changed. :)

BlackRapid Straps
Cotton Carrier System

Now I do know that some people like to have the backpack and attachments to it. BR has some of those.

Others like the Peak Designs clips that go onto the backpack straps or belt. I've never used them personally, though.

Cross bandoleer - using Peak Design Slide Lite on the short zoomed body, full Slide on the long zoom. I look like a sad bandit (add under those my Lowepro camera bags) trying to channel an Mt. Everest porter. But it works - rain, shine, snow.

I loath losing the bags because my bodies aren't WR and I might need to stash them for whatever reason. If I chance dumping the bags, I just take all the spare batteries and the spare SD cards, stick 'em in my pockets as I favor 5.11 style contractor pants - plenty of places to stash.

Hey Steven,

We're going to Disney in April, so I've been planning my camera handling as well.

We went a few years back and I took my Ricoh GR and Canon 6D with 24-105 zoom + 40mm pancake. Ended up using the GR and 40mm mainly, due to the low weight. I carried them in a backpack, with the 6D slung over my shoulder on a nice padded optech strap for the majority of the time. Worked out pretty good. The GR was great when I wanted to travel really light for a day or for wider scenes.

This year, I'll be bringing my A7ii and 35mm zeiss pancake, plus my new GRii when it arrives later this month, so a similar setup. Again I will have a backpack, but also plan on bringing my Peak Design Capture Clip, anchored to the backpack for quick access, without the slinging around of the camera.

For me, the purpose is to capture family moments, as well as any interesting photographic moments. So keeping gear to a minimum.

Take only one camera per day/park. I have been happy with either a bandolier type strap or a Domke gripper strap on one shoulder. If you are concerned about rain or water carry a shower cap or small plastic bag in a pocket to keep things dry when needed.

Disney is for your family and creating memories. Don't make their memory being of you and a camera (but still sneak in the shots you want and know they will appreciate later).

I have another Disney World trip coming and I plan to take the Fuji XH1 and XE3. The former will be for the long lens (55-230) at the Animal Kingdom park and the latter (27/35) for everything else. I normally use a camera bag but I'm wondering if a strap might be a better alternative. It just takes too long to keep getting the damn thing out of the bag. I don't usually miss shots but it makes taking a picture a great and more wife-annoying pause. I know it's my preference but you folks often have interesting insights into the problem.
Any reason for taking both camera bodies outside of not wanting to switch lenses?

I used a BlackRapid sport strap at Disney with my Nikon DSLR and a short zoom. Three full days of park walking and it felt like the camera wasn't even there :)

Any reason for taking both camera bodies outside of not wanting to switch lenses?

I used a BlackRapid sport strap at Disney with my Nikon DSLR and a short zoom. Three full days of park walking and it felt like the camera wasn't even there :)
I want to try the XH1 with the ibis and the long zoom for the animals but use the lighter xe1 at as a easy walkabout.

I want to try the XH1 with the ibis and the long zoom for the animals but use the lighter xe1 at as a easy walkabout.
Gotcha. Maybe do as mentioned above, take one body each day, take the XH1 with the zoom to Animal Kingdom? I took a zoom with me but only packed it for the day at Animal Kingdom myself. I didn't have much need for it at the other parks personally.

Taking any kids? If so you will likely have a pack for their stuff anyway?

Gotcha. Maybe do as mentioned above, take one body each day, take the XH1 with the zoom to Animal Kingdom? I took a zoom with me but only packed it for the day at Animal Kingdom myself. I didn't have much need for it at the other parks personally.

Taking any kids? If so you will likely have a pack for their stuff anyway?
Yeah, I should have mentioned only using one body at a time. No kids for now. Daughter is 32 and the granddaughter is nine months. We'll probably take the little one when she's between 2 and 3. We took my great niece when she was that age. She doesn't remember it but we do. Kids that young really enjoy themselves but they just can't form lasting memories. Parents and grandparents will remember however, and that is well worth the price of (Disney's admittedly high) admission.

OK, guys, maybe an odd question, but for those using straps... how do you prevent the camera from swinging as you're walking along other than holding on to it? Last time I tried using a sling it seems like I was constantly holding on to the camera with one hand to prevent it from swinging away, especially on a mild hike.

OK, guys, maybe an odd question, but for those using straps... how do you prevent the camera from swinging as you're walking along other than holding on to it? Last time I tried using a sling it seems like I was constantly holding on to the camera with one hand to prevent it from swinging away, especially on a mild hike.

On the full Peak Slide (not the Lite), I carry the XT-10 + 50-140 - one connection point is on one of the camera shoulders, the other is on the bottom connected to the L-plate. This forces a nose down configuration if the connection on the L-plate is closest to the front of my torso - true even if I put a smaller lens on it. Gravity and inertia does the rest. Hardly ever moves. I can put it on a rest near the front of my hip, or pull the strap a little and make it ride the back of my hip. Doesn't move during normal walking.

My BlackRapid RS Sport straps have a easy slider which prevents exactly what you are talking about. Zero issues.

HHhhhhm..... sounds like maybe it was just my (cheap) sling of choice I was trying back then. Thanks for the responses, I think I'll be checking Amazon later with some of the vendor names mentioned to see their offerings. With the warmer weather coming back to the NE USA I'm sure I'll be out & about with my wife soon.

Back