Fuji How to process files from X-T1

Rico, in a previous post you mentioned the RAW files could be processed in LR 5.4. I didn't know it was even available. I shot with my X-T1 today but LR 5.3 does't recognize the files. When I check for updates in LR I am told my software is up to date. I know you're not an Adobe employee, but is there a way I can download 5.4?

faberyman, thanks for the tip. I found the DNG converter and am converting now. Hope it all goes well. I'm jonesing to see test images. Thanks again'

That is one incredibly beautiful nighttime shot, Rico. I haven't even clicked on it yet to read the EXIF. Wow, is my reaction!

P.S. Just clicked through:

Taken on February 2, 2014 at 9.03PM EST
Posted to Flickr February 25, 2014 at 5.27AM EST
Exif data

Camera Fujifilm X-T1
Exposure 30
Aperture f/8.0
Focal Length 15.9 mm
ISO Speed 800
Exposure Bias 0 EV

As I asked on Flickr - did you hand hold, rest the camera on something or use a tripod. I also encourage people to click through and look at the photograph in its larger size than is even available on your initial look on Flickr. This is very impressive - as well as being quite beautiful, Rico.

I've been using DNG converter RC with the T-1 raw files. Straightforward, not a great delay. I have DNG converter put the the converted files into the same folder, that way, when LR is updated I'll have the native raw files right there.

Like people have mentioned I'm using the RC of adobe camera raw and the dng converter. Also if anyone is in need of the VSCO camera profiles for use with LR let me know. I manually converted the profiles from the X-E2 for all packs to work with the X-T1. I can host the profiles for the presets if anyone is looking for a way to use the X-T1 with VSCO in LR. This isn't the full app or anything just the base camera profiles.

Like people have mentioned I'm using the RC of adobe camera raw and the dng converter. Also if anyone is in need of the VSCO camera profiles for use with LR let me know. I manually converted the profiles from the X-E2 for all packs to work with the X-T1. I can host the profiles for the presets if anyone is looking for a way to use the X-T1 with VSCO in LR. This isn't the full app or anything just the base camera profiles.

I actually just registered to ask you! Would it be too much trouble? Would help a lot

Another really easy approach to processing the raw files in Lightroom 5.3 is to merely use any decent EXIF editor to change the camera identifier string in each file from X-T1 to X-E2 (or X-100s). It's pretty easy to do this on a Mac to a whole batch of files while they're still on the SD card - I assume there are utilities to make it just as easy other platforms. The files are basically identical, Lightroom is fooled into opening them, and all is good. I find that process a lot quicker than converting all if the files to DNG's before opening them. And the actual raw file is preserved rather than a DNG copy of it, which may or may not preserve some options for down the road after LR is updated with all of the Fuji film emulation color profiles...

-Ray

Ray,
I don't follow your logic. Changing the model ID in the EXIF metadata means that Lightroom is applying develop algorithms intended for a different model camera.

Converting the file to DNG does not change the raw data, it reconstructs the metadata for the file into the DNG format rather than the manufacturer's proprietary format. And, if anyone will get the translation right it should be Adobe. So when the Fuji Film emulation profiles are applied, they will be the profiles intended for the model camera that shot the images.

Ray,
I don't follow your logic. Changing the model ID in the EXIF metadata means that Lightroom is applying develop algorithms intended for a different model camera.
The sensor and processor in the XT1 and XE2 are basically identical. Hence the processing should be as well. There may be some difference in the jpegs, but that shouldn't affect the raw files. If you prefer to convert to DNG, go for it. I find the other way quicker and easier. I've done it with other cameras in the past that I bought before there was raw support, but for which there were previous cameras with the same internals that made virtually identical files. I'm not saying it's better, but I think it's as good, and it's quicker and easier to convert and import...

-Ray

And the actual raw file is preserved rather than a DNG copy of it, which may or may not preserve some options for down the road after LR is updated with all of the Fuji film emulation color profiles...

-Ray

This was the logic with which I was having trouble. Since DNG does't alter the raw data nor the camera EXIF metadata I'm having trouble understanding your reasoning.

The DNG conversion process, while a bit time consuming does nothing to the original raw file. It simply makes a new file that is a copy of the raw data and the metadata in DNG rather than proprietary format. So, now I have the original raw file, complete with proper model indication. And also a DNG file, also with correct model indication. So, no need to go back and reconstruct the EXIF when Lightroom can recognize the camera model.

This was the logic with which I was having trouble. Since DNG does't alter the raw data nor the camera EXIF metadata I'm having trouble understanding your reasoning.

The DNG conversion process, while a bit time consuming does nothing to the original raw file. It simply makes a new file that is a copy of the raw data and the metadata in DNG rather than proprietary format. So, now I have the original raw file, complete with proper model indication. And also a DNG file, also with correct model indication. So, no need to go back and reconstruct the EXIF when Lightroom can recognize the camera model.

That's why I said "may or may not" preserve some options. I really don't know exactly how the DNG conversion process works. But I know that changing the model identifier in exif doesn't do anything else to the raw file. And given that future updates to Lightroom will treat XE2 and XT1 files exactly the same, I won't feel any need to switch the exif back to XT1 later. Once Adobe adds the Fuji film emulation modes as color profiles, they'll apply to both cameras, as well as the earlier X-Trans models without PDAF pixels. And any lens profiles they may add someday won't be affected by the camera model. Like I said, I don't claim that changing the exif is a BETTER approach, but I don't see how it's any worse.... I have old Olympus EPL1 files floating around on my computer somewhere, still labelled as EP2 files, and looking just as good (or bad) as they did at the time. I had to do the same with some other Olympus model I was an early adopter for, but I don't recall which...

-Ray

Back