Fuji How to process files from X-T1

Ray,
My understanding, from reading various fora posts, listening to interviews with Lightroom developers etc. is that the problem with proprietary raw file formats is that the camera manufacturers do whatever they want with the meta data. One presumes that the raw data from the photo site is basic quanittative data. Thus, the risk I see is that Fuji, in its infinite wisdom may have decided to change something in the XT1 meta data that directly impacts how the raw data is interpreted compared to the XE2. Thus changing the model ID will cause the data in other metadata fields to be misinterpreted.

I have no idea if that has occurred but it is a risk. Otherwise, why all the different raw file formats from camera manufacturers?

Ray,
My understanding, from reading various fora posts, listening to interviews with Lightroom developers etc. is that the problem with proprietary raw file formats is that the camera manufacturers do whatever they want with the meta data. One presumes that the raw data from the photo site is basic quanittative data. Thus, the risk I see is that Fuji, in its infinite wisdom may have decided to change something in the XT1 meta data that directly impacts how the raw data is interpreted compared to the XE2. Thus changing the model ID will cause the data in other metadata fields to be misinterpreted.

I have no idea if that has occurred but it is a risk. Otherwise, why all the different raw file formats from camera manufacturers?
I suppose it's possible, but I've never seen any negative effects from such changes. I'd be leery of doing it between, say, the XE1 and XE2 just because the XE2 sensor added PDAF pixels to the sensor and I could see them changing something in the profiles or instructions to deal with that. So I wouldn't just change camera names between models with even slightly different sensor designs. But the times I've done it between cameras with identical sensors I've always been fully pleased with the output. I suppose there could be a first time where I wouldn't be happy with it, but nothing I'm doing is irreversible, so I could always go back to the drawing board if I found a problem. So far, though, it's working and I still have the raw files that could be changed back if I ever felt the need...

-Ray

Right now I'm exclusively using PhotoNinja by Picturecode. I'm not interested in trying to use a hacked Lightroom till they get their act together. At them moment I'm convinced that the demosaicing is superior altogether on the PhotoNinja. Great highlight recovery as well and the detail minus the noise is a huge plus.

Back