• Cameraderie, a friendly photography forum, join now for free! Welcome! 欢迎! स्वागत हे! ようこそ!

Leica How to properly clean a vintage lens?

Riego

Regular
Apr 17, 2019
I know that the best is not to clean them, but how to clean an old lens when we have fingerprints and the glass or the coating is very soft? Summar, Summitar, Jupiters...

I use a cotton swab with some cleaning fluid for lenses, but I do not know if it is the best option.

rayvonn

All-Pro
Jan 19, 2015
Sorry, don't have the answer, I just know I'm going to have to address this at some point myself.

BrianS

Super Moderator
Apr 3, 2013
I use a Q-Tip with cleaning fluid, wipe very gently. First Q-Tip to apply the fluid, the dry side to gently wipe it off. I also use Tiffen Brand lens cleaning paper, wrapped around a Q-Tip.

Riego

Regular
Apr 17, 2019
I use a Q-Tip with cleaning fluid, wipe very gently. First Q-Tip to apply the fluid, the dry side to gently wipe it off. I also use Tiffen Brand lens cleaning paper, wrapped around a Q-Tip.
Thanks Brian,

The Tiffen cleaning paper are wet?

BrianS

Super Moderator
Apr 3, 2013
The Tiffen cleaning paper- used to be marketed as "Kodak". It is the best paper I've used. I use them dry, to wipe up after the fluid has been applied. The Paper is better for a larger diameter lens or filter.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom