Fuji How to tell a battery is on the way out?

Mike G

All-Pro
Oct 7, 2016
West London
Mike Gorman
Is there a method to discover if a Fuji NP-W126 battery is on the way out?

Yesterday my X-T2 would not switch on after some use, taking out and the putting back in the battery came to life! This happened three times and since using an Fuji NP-W126S the problem so far has not reappeared. When I charged the Fuji NP-W126 which took only minutes to recharge from 60%, I'm suspicous that this battery has become faulty, and soI am looking for a way to tell?

Thanks in advance.

flysurfer

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2011
Yep, I'd use another one in cases like this. I have more than 20 NP-126(S), and so far didn't have an obvious failure, but it's clear that after a few years, not all batteries perform equally well. GFX has a battery age indicator that counts charing cycles. No such thing for NP-126.

Mike G

All-Pro
Oct 7, 2016
West London
Mike Gorman
Thanks fellows, this battery is from about from January 2015, from what you say it looks as though this battery has had its day, I have no idea how many charging cycles it's had. But
It seems I need another.
Thanks

Covey22

Hall of Famer
Feb 3, 2012
65 bucks for a Nikon EN-EL. No clones because 3rd party had hit or miss on the battery condition circuitry reverse engineering.

Wasabi - 8 bucks per battery. I can keep reordering those on Amazon all day. I have six between two cameras.

Mike G

All-Pro
Oct 7, 2016
West London
Mike Gorman
There are two main reasons, 1. Why are they so cheap, there must be a reason and it's probably that the QC and materials are not so good! 2. I'm just not happy using after market gear, the manufacturer of Fuji batteries is Panasonic a name I trust!

Perhaps Rico will say why he does not recommend the cheap batteries?

flysurfer

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2011
Perhaps Rico will say why he does not recommend the cheap batteries?
It's already been stated in my X-T2 book, but maybe not clearly enough. They don't work correctly. This also applies to the X-Pro2, X100F and X-T20. Original W126S and the older W126 are okay, though.

By now, it's common knowledge that pretty much all third-party battery vendors are lying when they claim that their products are 100% compatible and have the same protection features (against heat, overcharging and deep-discharge) as the originals. Expert bloggers have opened up many of those third-party offers just to find that the promised technology isn't there. So there's always a somewhat higher risk, and the different discharge-curve makes it impossible for the newer cameras to display correct "remaining power" percentages.

Luckily, there aren't many reports of serious incidents with third-party batteries.

Last edited by a moderator:

flysurfer

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2011
Well, they don't in the X-T2 etc., that's the whole point. The percentage display will be off, which is clear given the different discharge curves.

Btw, I once bought 2 Wasabis in the U.S. as a quick replacement for my X-T10, and they are the worst performers I have ever encountered. It seems to depend on where Wasabi/Patona etc. get their current batch of batteries. As usual, YMMV.

Covey22

Hall of Famer
Feb 3, 2012
XE-1 and XT-10 user, no complaints on 3rd party brand. I've run all my batts down in 8-10 hour days of continuous AF, lots of chimping. I prefer to spend my money getting somewhere to photograph. Cheers!

Biro

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2011
Jersey Shore
Steve
I dunno. If I'm spending $1000 or more in a camera, I see no reason to cheap out on the last few dollars for an aftermarket battery. Sometimes they work out but we've all heard stories about third-party battery packs swelling inside the camera, etc. Besides, Fuji's OEM batteries are far from the most expensive compared to some other brands.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom